Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
blueheared
portfolio
Hal Yenz
Evarts, USA

3D artist vs. 2D artist?

I've been seeing under the larger video game companies that their artistic careers involve the experience of 3D modeling software. But I've also seen successful artists who don't use these kinds of software, just 2D like Photoshop.
Are these artists who just freelance and provide their work to any type of client?
Or are there actually companies who hire artists to provide an original idea and image?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
trancerobot
Art Compiler

portfolio
Christian Storay
BIM & VDC Modeler
USA

Your question a little confusing.

The common word on these sorts of things is that you wouldn't want a 3d artist who couldn't draw. But different artists are going to be better at different facets of art. You are going to have 3d sculptors and modelers who arn't the best 2d concept artists, and you're going to have really good 2d concept artists who arn't the best 3d sculptors.

Although I'm not a pro in the field of game development, I can tell you that from what I've read, the big shops are going to have specific positions for specific things - hopefully using artists who specialize in a specific kind of art. Your ideal concept artist is going to be among the best concept artists in his field. He might also know how to model, but that's not his job. However, I have seen the use of 3d by conceptual artists. It wasn't their primary medium, but if they did it, it must have helped somehow.

This probably didn't answer your question, and it definitely isn't addressed to someone like me, but I thought I'd give crack at it. Hopefully someone else can put a better word in.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

There are absolutely positions for artists who work exclusively in 2d, most notably, concept art positions. There just aren't very many of them.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloncov
There are absolutely positions for artists who work exclusively in 2d, most notably, concept art positions. There just aren't very many of them.

This. Most big studios have internal art departments (art departments are the folks who handle concept art) where a number of the artists are often 2D only, although it's worth noting that more studios are starting to include 3D artists, especially sculptors, in their art departments too.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
Stormchain
Bleed For Me

portfolio
Stb
Lithuania

perhaps thats the wrong interpretation of the thread but ill say this anyway.

long time ago ive been pursuing skill of one 2d artist... then he just picked up his bags and converted to 3d mastery T_T7 im sticking to 2d still, im way better than what guy was when he quit drawing but i wish i could see what he could do now.

eitherway, im not in the industry but im figuring 3d is more in demand these days. its like digital was new shiz way above normal paper pics, 3d is that much better than digital.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchain

long time ago ive been pursuing skill of one 2d artist... then he just picked up his bags and converted to 3d mastery T_T7 im sticking to 2d still, im way better than what guy was when he quit drawing but i wish i could see what he could do now.

eitherway, im not in the industry but im figuring 3d is more in demand these days. its like digital was new shiz way above normal paper pics, 3d is that much better than digital.

... huh?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #7
Tamagoo
Frequenter
portfolio
Nerijus
Reseda, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchain

Stick with what you enjoy doing. If you can pick up 3d as a skill that's all for the better. But you don't have to learn everything at the same time.

I understood what you meant, but you really need to form better sentences.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
manuqc
explorador

portfolio
Manuel Huertas Marchena
Lighting & Lookdev TD
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

One thing I noticed from concept art departments, its that is one of those deparments where is hard to find any junior artists. Most of concept art departments I ve seen (actually all of them, meaning companies I ve worked for. For the record, I am not a concept artist, but a cg artist who have work along with concept artists along the pipeline) have a small but senior staff. I guess this is due to the fact that clients see concepts straightly from the concept artist, and not like other cg related tasks that eventually get refined by more senior artists / sups.

Also I can recall that some matte painters also do concept art, the opposite is also true.
Although matte painting can sometimes be trickier to a solely 2d artist, because depending on the company he or she might also have 3d related tasks regarding 3d scene setup, cam proj in nuke, etc..

Last edited by manuqc : 01-04-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Stormchain
Bleed For Me

portfolio
Stb
Lithuania

well no wonder, and it isnt hard to figure out. people want strong portfolios and elevated skill for the important projects. rookies gotta start out by themselves, become good and make an entrance on their own. only then they are even worth to notice. its funny even, as internet is brimming with scribbling kids. im in awe how few of them ever get anywhere.

personally dont plan on going anywhere with 3ds or either programming x[ thatll end up being my gravestone.

ps, i disagree. yall should be more proficient in reading less-than-formal speech

Last edited by Stormchain : 01-05-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread