Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
RossHildick3D
RossHildick3D
portfolio
Ross Hildick
3D Artist
London, United Kingdom

Testing engine for your 3D models

Does a free one exist? Just wondering if there was some kind of program that has a character, or even just a camera in a world, that is easy to import your own textured models into with little to no coding knowledge needed?... just to see if they hold up in a game engine. Cant see any online for free that aren't private-server based and even then, there's some coding involved.

Thanks in advance

Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

UDK works just fine. And if you don't want to make a functioning character (meaning you can walk around as the character and do stuff) you can export as an FBX with full animations and put them into a level and see what it looks like.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
BenDstraw
Know-it-All

portfolio
Ben Dirilo
Connousieur of Ramen
Peoria, USA

Unity 3d is also a pretty good option.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
squeige
Frequenter
Luigi Castro
USA

I have not used it myself but I have seen some talks about marmoset toolbag to view game models....

Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
EdwinKlijn
portfolio
Edwin Klijn
Amersfoort, Netherlands

+1 for Marmoset Toolbag le clique (although it's not officially supported for Windows 8).

Old 12-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

You could try using Lumion:

http://lumion3d.com/

It has a free version.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
refract
Expert

portfolio
John John
Character modeling, Lighting, Compositing
Work
Los Angeles, United States

Send a message via ICQ to refract Send a message via AIM to refract Send a message via MSN to refract Send a message via Yahoo to refract
Unity has a free stand alone version. And after all the game engines I've used..,,, its really amazing.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
DanielWray
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Wray
Bsc Computer Animation & Digital SFX
United Kingdom

The above suggestions are probably the best available; Unity, Unreal Engine, &c.

However, I would just throw in Blender as another alternative. Now, the game engine in Blender cannot, and should not be compared with the above. It does, in this specific role as a previewer, offer quite a few features that may be of benefit; what you see in the view-port will be exactly what is saw in the OpenGL based game engine; simple logic-bricks can be used to trigger animations, movements, and other actions (no programming required.); and finally it's rather simple to set-up: import your model, go into GLSL shaded view-mode, switch the render tab to 'game engine', and then click 'start' to run the game engine in the view-port.

EDIT: Here is a rather nice example by an artist going by the name of Alex3DI;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ht8SUjdifM

Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
moogaloonie
Expert
portfolio
Casey R Williams
Lansignum Studios
Morgantown, USA

It seems like every year I break my resolution to learn blender. Maybe this year I actually will...

I'm really glad this thread popped up when it did, Marmoset Toolbag is 33% off until midnight tonight (or is that midnight where they are?). Good time to pick it up if you have been considering it (as I had been).

Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossHildick3D
Does a free one exist? Just wondering if there was some kind of program that has a character, or even just a camera in a world, that is easy to import your own textured models into with little to no coding knowledge needed?... just to see if they hold up in a game engine. Cant see any online for free that aren't private-server based and even then, there's some coding involved.

UDK has a bunch of videos you can use to learn how to use it up to a reasonable level. There is always coding involved if you want to do anything like integrating a character that has arms and legs The best graphics from all the (initially free) engines so far.

If you just want to see how a model will look then Marmoset is useful but it isn't free.

Unity 3d is free if you don't mind not having realtime shadows and a few other things that come with the pro version. There is a lot of sample materials and demo scenes you can download from the asset store to use in combination to test your stuff. Like all things Unity only gets difficult if you want to achieve a specific goal so hunting for information and solutions is not easy.

Coding in general is not difficult if you are adapting already available material. It is pretty doable if you have time and patience. The info above is general as you have not said what you want to import into an engine.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Kanga : 01-02-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
joyceanblue
PRO

unity3d is best suited for what you need. you will not require a single line of coding for what you want.
create a plane, drag and drop fps camera prefab, put your textures in your project directory and drag and drop them from asset window to material..
and your model will update itself if you edit it in your 3d software (3ds max at least) or you can just export it to fbx.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread