U.S. Lawmakers want "Psychological Impact of Violent Video Games on Youth" studied

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #16
Originally Posted by earwax69: Nice way to appear to do something while avoiding the real problem.

Welcome to the world of the stereotypical politician.

Old 12 December 2012   #17
Originally Posted by iikii: My point is just to say that, it's utter nonsense to say violent video games doesn't cause violent behaviour in any way. Shooting people in games will definitely cause even a tiny bit of violent in you, consciously or subconsciously. So it certainly will contribute to this kind of behavior when all the conditions are right.

Well, I'm not a psychiatrist or a psychologist, so I have to trust the experts, and quite a few of the accredited ones, in unsponsored studies more so than not I'm told, actually believe in a sane individual it has absolutely no effect consciously or not, and it can even have a positive one in its stress release, and we model our laws and system around the "sane majority", and it'd work IF we would take care of the small, insane minority (which the system in question here doesn't

Of course if someone is completely deranged, unstable, mentally ill, pubescent, who has received military grade training in shooting, they might contribute to some weird altered or offset state, but most likely no more or less than what they'd get by TV, or even sitting down brooding. Should we regulate and censor all of those too? And only fiction, or reality news too? Books next?

Could it have some effect? Of course it could, enough professionals are undecided to make it so we shouldn't assume either way.
Is it likely to carry any significant weight when compared to the other factors involved in 10 out of 10 of the last similar tragedies? I sincerely believe not, but that's the problem about common sense in these things, it's more personal than common

The problem, in this specific case, is that this shouldn't even be mentioned NOT because I don't want to see games taken off shelves (I'm an adult not working in the games industry, this has no direct effect on my personal life), but because it's blatant misdirection from other, more important issues that the proponents don't want to see brought up.

Hyperbolically speaking, it'd be like me drink driving running over a kid, and my lawyer pointing out how if Nissan made better breaks my horrible reaction times would have still been fine to stop within two metres. Does it sound ridiculous and arse-cover-y? It should, same as Rockfeller's bill

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 12 December 2012 at 03:19 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #18
Originally Posted by iikii: Well, shooting people in video games can have a positive and a negative influence.

My point is just to say that, it's utter nonsense to say violent video games doesn't cause violent behaviour in any way. Shooting people in games will definitely cause even a tiny bit of violent in you, consciously or subconsciously. So it certainly will contribute to this kind of behavior when all the conditions are right.

Banning them seem... unreal to me. And of course, we should find the main ingredient but it doesnt mean we should ignore the smaller ones.

And yet... as has already been pointed out... we don't have ANYWHERE near the amount of violence in other countries - where the same videogames are being used - as we have here in the USA.

It's not videogames. Saying the problem is videogames is not correct. Politicians don't want to address the real issues - gun control and access to ADEQUATE mental health.

Old 12 December 2012   #19
Most politicians will use this tragedy to further their own agendas they had before it happened. This senator just hates video games, other senators hate guns, other senators just want to put the national guard into every school.

There are very few who are actually approaching the problem by finding out what the problem is to begin with, before getting legislation down on paper and saying they "did something" for the next election cycle. It's what politicians tend to do, mostly.

Old 12 December 2012   #20
...and you know whats really sad... gun/ammo sales are up in the last week and its not because of Christmas. Kinda makes you wonder

Old 12 December 2012   #21
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom: ...and you know whats really sad... gun/ammo sales are up in the last week and its not because of Christmas. Kinda makes you wonder

This is because of fear of an impending AWB. It happens every time people threaten to ban things.

Old 12 December 2012   #22
I saw an article from writer Susan Cain's fb page:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/12/1...for-newtown.xml

http://www.facebook.com/AuthorSusanCain?ref=ts&fref=ts

The article states that mental illness shouldn't be blamed for what happened. And that there's a difference between psychopathic and mental illness. I always thought they relate to each other. Do you guys think there's a difference between the two?

Old 12 December 2012   #23
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: I saw an article from writer Susan Cain's fb page:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/12/1...for-newtown.xml

http://www.facebook.com/AuthorSusanCain?ref=ts&fref=ts

The article states that mental illness shouldn't be blamed for what happened. And that there's a difference between psychopathic and mental illness. I always thought they relate to each other. Do you guys think there's a difference between the two?

She's quite specifically separating autism from psychopathy. Obviously the person who shot up a school is not "mentally sound", so mental illness is still a huge factor, she just doesn't think autism has anything to do with it (although her anecdote about looking into children's eyes to determine if they have a "kind soul" is about as unscientific and eye-roll inducing as it gets).

I think she's just trying to be proactive in stopping some of the blame and generalizations on the whole spectrum of mental illnesses which the (awful) national media is starting, as mentally illnesses are already misunderstood and looked down upon enough as it is.

Old 12 December 2012   #24
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom: ...and you know whats really sad... gun/ammo sales are up in the last week and its not because of Christmas. Kinda makes you wonder

Christmas + potential end of the world date (last one was Y2K, but often cyclones, floods and the such contribute, fear of looters and all) + people scared shitless their kids will be next... what did you expect?

Any of those three factors have always driven arms sales up, that all three happen at the same time is possibly unprecedented, or at least rare.

Old 12 December 2012   #25
Humans have always been irrationally violent and crazy in some fashion--its a global phenomenon but it gets noticed or ignored depending on how much value the society places in the victim and what technology (bare hand, rock, stick, knife, fire, boiling liquid, repeat action easy to use projectile throwing device etc) is utilized.

If they really want to try to curb violence then fine--go after potential influences like video games, and movies, but also put religious texts into the spotlight that contain violence, and dont forget other violent gaming like deer hunting--that leads to an awful lot of intentional and unintentional injury and death. Maybe there has been a case of someone who attacked someone because they werent able to play their video game but there are more than a few documented cases of hunters who got violent when they werent allowed to hunt on someone's land. And the number of cases of people shot in their homes by stray bullets, or walking dogs, or jogging--there's a few cases every month.
The one thing that (almost) all the politicians, NRA, and gun nuts agreed on was having hunters wear orange vests to identify themselves to other hunters because they were so prone to shooting each other. The parent of two daughters standing on a porch wearing white mittens who was allegedly mistaken by a hunter for a deer wasnt so lucky. Shooter was acquitted.
If you ever want to murder someone just get a hunting license and get the target to be standing somewhere near a designated hunting area.

One of the people credited with developing the important mechanical innovations that define the modern firearm is said to be a Scottish preacher. He developed the quick reload apparatus because he was annoyed that ducks would fly away before he had time to reload when he shot them around his church.
The17th century equivalent of a shoot-em-up video game.

I think they'll just throw money at a video game study, make some superficial changes to gun laws(maybe) but some kind of other massacre is in the near future and more than a few single death incidents in between.

Old 12 December 2012   #26
Originally Posted by kelgy: One of the people credited with developing the important mechanical innovations that define the modern firearm is said to be a Scottish preacher. He developed the quick reload apparatus because he was annoyed that ducks would fly away before he had time to reload when he shot them around his church.
The17th century equivalent of a shoot-em-up video game.

Ironic that they would want to go after the medium that apparently made this preacher's pastime a lot safer and less costly for participants.

Old 12 December 2012   #27
Originally Posted by iikii: it's utter nonsense to say violent video games doesn't cause violent behaviour in any way.

Well that is your opinion, but research and, well, reality disagree with you on that one. People all around the entire world play violent video games but it's only the US that seems to have this repeating problem of kids shooting up schools. And the cycle of violence continues because every time it happens, everyone blames Marilyn Manson and video games again, instead of the more difficult and more painful route of actually honestly investigating the root causes of the problem, which are far, far more complex.

Don't buy into this cheap scapegoating, because you're making yourself a part of the problem.

Old 12 December 2012   #28
So did violent video games cause all the mass murders in the early 1900's as well in America? Oh wait, no they didn't because there were no video games yet. Hmmmm....duhr.

Old 12 December 2012   #29
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: The article states that mental illness shouldn't be blamed for what happened. And that there's a difference between psychopathic and mental illness. I always thought they relate to each other. Do you guys think there's a difference between the two?

Mental illness is an umbrella term encompassing a very broad spectrum of disorders, and considering that one in four people experiences a form of mental illness in the course of their lives, it's important to prevent a stigma forming that links these problems to violent behaviour, as that would be not only unfair to sufferers of mental illness, but also dangerous. Similarly, I can see why she's emphasising the need to refrain from blaming autism, as that could result in problems too - remember how Muslims were attacked by members of the public after 9/11? We don't want the same thing happening to autistic people in the wake of this shooting. Mental health professionals have worked hard over the last few decades to eradicate the stigma of problems like depression and other psychological and psychiatric issues, so the last thing we want to do is unravel all that work and bring back the mistrust and social stigmatisation of the mentally ill.

Having said that, is is true that psychopathy is a complex phenomenon; it's a personality disorder, which is quite fundamentally different to most other mental illnesses. Contrary to popular belief, a psychopath isn't someone who goes out and becomes a serial killer (despite the confusingly similar words, psychopaths are not necessarily psychotic). Psychopathy's primary indicator is a lack of empathy, but it's accompanied by a lot of other personality, lifestyle and social indicators too, and psychopaths are actually a lot more common than most people would think.

Old 12 December 2012   #30
I agree that videogames have no bearing whatsoever on most people mind. I didn't feel the slightest difference after playing days of Crysis. There's lot of more obvious causes; Alcohol consumption, depression, temporary psychosis, hormonal changes, extreme frustration, sheer imbecility and so on. I does not take much to push a depressed man to suicidal behaviors. It also does not take much cerebral power to understand that a kitchen knive will lead to a very different outcome than a machine gun.

As far as media/games go, I think MTV is a lot more to blame than video games for gun violence in the US. Thug life, yeah right.

Thread Closed share thread