CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
DePaint
Banned
 
DePaint's Avatar
portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,156
U.S. Lawmakers want "Psychological Impact of Violent Video Games on Youth" studied

Some interesting news on the Computer Games Front: After the latest - and very tragic - school shooting in the U.S., several members of the United States Congress want psychology experts to study the psychological impact violent computer games may or may not have on the behavior of children and older youths, and produce a comprehensive report on the subject.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/..._n_2330741.html

Quote:
"This week, we are all focused on protecting our children. At times like this, we need to take a comprehensive look at all the ways we can keep our kids safe. I have long expressed concern about the impact of the violent content our kids see and interact with every day," said Rockefeller, who is chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee. Rockefeller's bill would direct the National Academy of Sciences to lead the investigation on video games' impact and submit a report on its findings within 18 months. The legislation comes after reports suggested that Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza may have played video games like "Call of Duty" and "Starcraft."


If the resulting report does link exposure to violent computer game content to increased real-world violent tendencies and behavior in youths, this could, potentially, be the beginning of much tighter legal controls on violent computer games.

My personal take on this - I can't really blame the lawmakers. There are so many shooter games lately, where you get "extra points" for shooting human figures in the head - or even in the crotch in one game I played.

Yes, its all "virtual fun". But maybe playing nothing but these violent games for hours and days on end does have some sort of negative impact on the psychological development of some young people. Particularly ones who are lonely, isolated, neglected, easily impressionable, or otherwise vulnerable.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is, potentially, the beginning of the end for some computer game genres that feature gameplay revolving almost entirely around gunplay and inflicting harm on virtual enemies.

Its going to be interesting to see how all this plays out...
 
Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
leigh
blahblah
 
leigh's Avatar
CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 29,791
Oh yawn, the usual scapegoating to avoid looking for the real roots of violence in a society. One guy with a personality disorder goes nuts and shoots people, and suddenly it's the fault of video games, even though 99.9999999% of people who play games don't go out and shoot anyone.

And this is over and above the fact that violent games generally have 18 age restrictions.

Honestly, the tedious inevitability of this scapegoating of entertainment every time some nutjob runs rampant is getting pretty annoying.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
darthviper107
Expert
 
darthviper107's Avatar
portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,924
Somehow I don't think that him playing Starcraft is going to make this work
__________________
The Z-Axis
 
Old 12-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
PerryDS
Everything Creative
 
PerryDS's Avatar
portfolio
Perry Shulak
Contractor, self-employed
Critical Fusion Inc
Edmonton, Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 761
Send a message via MSN to PerryDS
nut case + trained experience with military type weapons and live ammo target practice = trouble

Pointing a cursor at an inanimate object is significantly different than using the real thing.
__________________
Perry Shulak
Design, Illustration, writing and interactive media
www.criticalfusion.com
www.perryshulakcreative.com
 
Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
b1m2x3
*********
 
b1m2x3's Avatar
HamHands
Some guy working somewhere on some movie.
USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 141
They play the same video games in other countries...
But most other countries don't seem to have this problem.
__________________

 
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Stankluv
Lord of the posts
Martin S
USA
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 723
I really don't care if kids need to find an 18 year old to buy stuff for them. It would be nice to just put this to bed. If the law ends up, "must be 18 or older to buy this game because it has a gun in it." Idc.
 
Old 12-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Michael5188
another mime
 
Michael5188's Avatar
portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1m2x3
They play the same video games in other countries...
But most other countries don't seem to have this problem.


Seriously, why isn't this screamed in the face of anyone who says video games are the problem.
__________________
-Michael

www.MichaelSime.com
 
Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 774
lets not treat the mental health issues, but lets study video games.

Its just all kinds of stupid, and im referring to their priorities. The study as a whole should've been done long ago, that aside, you ever think the mental imbalance in a person coupled with the fact that he could grab a military grade rifle with ease, could probably be the main 2 issues?

Another thing is, how do you not sell games to ADULTS that are mentally off? Is there IDs for that? Dont think so.

Anyways, hopefully the gun laws do get pushed for more control and a perma ban country wide of full auto rifles (wont happen but its worth the push).
 
Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X
 
ThE_JacO's Avatar
CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,954
I'm sure the gun-nut mother, the firearms training, the uncared for psychological problems, the ready availability of deadly range weapons, and the social isolation were totally NOT the overwhelming factors, and the fact he played videogames must have had such a notable influence on his decision to grab above mentioned readily available firearm and mow down children, that surely they need to be the focus of some thorough scrutiny!

Incidentally, a considerable part of the back up to that bill are figures that want to train and arm teachers, introduce firearms in classes for such teachers to protect the children (yes, one of the senators ACTAULLY advocates that teachers should receive military training and have an M4 under their desk, LITERALLY), like that is going to solve the problem...

Because we all know that heavily suppressing a symptom is better than figuring out why a cell went apeshit to begin with, and to hell with reason.

Will it amount to anything? I don't think they can get away with this mis-direction this time and blame it on Manson, RPGs and videogames. People are a little bit smarter than Columbine's times.
__________________
"As an online CG discussion grows longer, the probability of the topic being shifted to subsidies approaches 1"

Free Maya Nodes
 
Old 12-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
trancerobot
Art Compiler
 
trancerobot's Avatar
portfolio
Christian Storay
BIM & VDC Modeler
USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 605
Those pesky computers are degrading our society.

But in all seriousness... the problem is the lack of adequate support for the mentaly unstable here in the US. You're given drugs and sent on your way when you should be under observation in a home. That's not to say we don't have mental hospitals but clearly we don't have enough. It's like we over-reacted to the abuses of the past and instead of reforming what we had let them all roam loose among us and highly unstable.

Then there's the mother, who kept the gun unsecured in the house and taught him how to use it. Very foolish...

But no, they won't say its any of that. It's those damned computer games warping our innocent youth again. Oh yeah, and rock music.
 
Old 12-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
iikii
Creator
 
iikii's Avatar
portfolio
Choo Bin Yong
Freelancer
Singapore
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 103
It is not based on just one ingredient but multiple ingredients to make it happen.

Violent Video games is one of the elements. It may not be the main ingredient but it definitely help. People just have to admit that they does do harm to the mind, it's common sense.
 
Old 12-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #12
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X
 
ThE_JacO's Avatar
CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by iikii
It is not based on just one ingredient but multiple ingredients to make it happen.

Violent Video games is one of the elements. It may not be the main ingredient but it definitely help. People just have to admit that they does do harm to the mind, it's common sense.

Quite a few studies concluded that they don't or even the opposite, that they offer a steam valve type of release. Neither side is conclusive, but the one pegging them as largely harmless past pubescence tend to be more accredited and less sponsored.

When politicians look at things statistically, which is LITERALLY the only weak back up for this silly argument, they do so by confusing cause and consequence, and taking the wrong sampling and pooling approaches.

Violent, sociopathic people ARE attracted by videogames. Videogames DO NOT lead to violence OR sociopathic behaviour.

Saying the opposite is common sense is applying the same type of common sense attributed to the belief that the sun orbits the earth, or that because most people in jail are black, therefore black people are genetically more inclined to commit crime (and to hell with the tribes in Africa isolated from Western society sharing the same genes having a 0 murder rate over 250 years), not so incidentally, some of the people saying they should arm and train teachers and ban violent videogames are also the same bunch of racist pricks that in 2012 adamantly support creationism and race deduced criminal behaviour.

Here's your multiple ingredients:
1) A gun nut mother
2) An untreated mental disorder
3) A hostile family environment
4) A history of social awkwardness
5) Live rounds gun and rifle training
6) Ready access to unlocked firearms
7) A constant stream of apocalyptic, biased, fear mongering video streams
8) Clicking around a gatherer kite in starcraft

Guess which one of those 8 is the least likely to send someone on a murderous kid mowing spree.
__________________
"As an online CG discussion grows longer, the probability of the topic being shifted to subsidies approaches 1"

Free Maya Nodes

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 12-20-2012 at 01:41 AM.
 
Old 12-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken
 
earwax69's Avatar
portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,497
Nice way to appear to do something while avoiding the real problem.
__________________
So long and thanks for all the fish
 
Old 12-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #14
DuttyFoot
Expert
 
DuttyFoot's Avatar
stephen curah
USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,417
Quote:
But in all seriousness... the problem is the lack of adequate support for the mentaly unstable here in the US. You're given drugs and sent on your way when you should be under observation in a home. That's not to say we don't have mental hospitals but clearly we don't have enough. It's like we over-reacted to the abuses of the past and instead of reforming what we had let them all roam loose among us and highly unstable.


I actually heard them talking about this on npr yesterday and they interviewed quite a few people who showed how bad the system is in the US. One lady said they told her they cannot help her until her son does something violent. She found out her adopted son had mental issues and tried to get him help and that was the response she was given. He has been in and out of jail and is currently locked up.

I was listening to huffpost live and was quite sad when the politician being interviewed had to mention video games. I remember one christmas when i saw a police officer buying her young son grand theft auto vice city. If games are the main cause of kids blowing people away then the parents should go to jail too.
__________________
Heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept were toiling upwards in the night.
 
Old 12-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
iikii
Creator
 
iikii's Avatar
portfolio
Choo Bin Yong
Freelancer
Singapore
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Quite a few studies concluded that they don't or even the opposite, that they offer a steam valve type of release. Neither side is conclusive, but the one pegging them as largely harmless past pubescence tend to be more accredited and less sponsored.

When politicians look at things statistically, which is LITERALLY the only weak back up for this silly argument, they do so by confusing cause and consequence, and taking the wrong sampling and pooling approaches.

Violent, sociopathic people ARE attracted by videogames. Videogames DO NOT lead to violence OR sociopathic behaviour.

Saying the opposite is common sense is applying the same type of common sense attributed to the belief that the sun orbits the earth, or that because most people in jail are black, therefore black people are genetically more inclined to commit crime (and to hell with the tribes in Africa isolated from Western society sharing the same genes having a 0 murder rate over 250 years), not so incidentally, some of the people saying they should arm and train teachers and ban violent videogames are also the same bunch of racist pricks that in 2012 adamantly support creationism and race deduced criminal behaviour.

Here's your multiple ingredients:
1) A gun nut mother
2) An untreated mental disorder
3) A hostile family environment
4) A history of social awkwardness
5) Live rounds gun and rifle training
6) Ready access to unlocked firearms
7) A constant stream of apocalyptic, biased, fear mongering video streams
8) Clicking around a gatherer kite in starcraft

Guess which one of those 8 is the least likely to send someone on a murderous kid mowing spree.


Well, shooting people in video games can have a positive and a negative influence.

My point is just to say that, it's utter nonsense to say violent video games doesn't cause violent behaviour in any way. Shooting people in games will definitely cause even a tiny bit of violent in you, consciously or subconsciously. So it certainly will contribute to this kind of behavior when all the conditions are right.

Banning them seem... unreal to me. And of course, we should find the main ingredient but it doesnt mean we should ignore the smaller ones.
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.