Where do you think the CG industry is headed?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Where do you think the CG industry is headed?

I just want to hear from people what direction you think the CG industry is headed, and why.

I have heard a lot of pessimism lately, but I have a more positive view. Everything is going digital nowadays, and it seems that the demand for CGI has never been higher. USA is recovering from a recession, the auto industry is on the rise again, and movies are being shot at a faster rate than ever before. It's even cheaper to have products made in 3D for print ads than it is to hire a photographer in a lot of situations. The only negative I see is that more people are able to do it for cheap which lowers the value of CGI, but also makes it a more realistic option for people wanting to advertise and look modern.

What do you guys think?

12 December 2012
It's going global. International markets are destined to be THE market.

12 December 2012
The screen will disappear and your Grankids will laugh at us for staring at a 2d plane all day in the dim and distant past. Digitality will become a reality as we have witnessed with a new production method. Actors and actresess (multi media personalities) will be fabricated, owned and run by teams who will provide a star 24/7 that doesn't need a trailer full of red jelly beans. You will be able to run about your bedroom killing pirates and flying biplanes without a pair of glasses, or drugs.

The future of 3d is vast and intense and the show just got started.
Something to be cheery about.

Cheerio

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Kanga: Actors and actresess (multi media personalities) will be fabricated, owned and run by teams who will provide a star 24/7 that doesn't need a trailer full of red jelly beans.

They made a movie about that, you know. I don't recall the name, but its the one with the 3D naked woman. It was very cutting edge VFX at the time.

Hows the motion graphics/3d job market in Chi right now? I was last there in '10, and things were less than brilliant. Seems most places were just trying to stay afloat.

And yes, there has been a lot of pessimism on this forum lately. Arrogant Americans this, greedy Europeans that. Seriously, chill out people.

-AJ

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by AJ1: They made a movie about that, you know. I don't recall the name, but its the one with the 3D naked woman. It was very cutting edge VFX at the time.

S1m0ne?

Having worked on numerous digi doubles for films in my time, I think I can safely say that actors are in no danger of being replaced by digital characters anytime soon. They require far more work, are more expensive, more time consuming, and don't satisfy the celebrity gossip requirement that's so craved by a sadly large percentage of the population.

12 December 2012
Hey Leigh,

After a long google search, I was thinking about Looker (1981).

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0082677/

I haven't seen S1mone. Would you recommend? I really like dark comedies, and the reviews say its meant to be kind of funny.

(sorry to derail the thread)

-AJ

12 December 2012
I saw it when it originally came out and thought it was a bit rubbish.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by AJ1: I haven't seen S1mone. Would you recommend? I really like dark comedies, and the reviews say its meant to be kind of funny.

It's an OK film. Neither terrible, nor brilliant. The idea behind it is certainly interesting.

Its by the director of the Truman Show, In Time and Gattacca though, if that makes a difference...

12 December 2012
CGI is heading global and cheaper, cheaper, cheaper. I think there will always be a top of the top, on the cutting edge of FX, but everyone and their dog will be able to do the vast majority of the stuff we see everyday, and they will do it for pennies, or the next guy gets the gig.

Software will do more. There may never be a "make art" button, but there will be more canned content, opening the door to far more users, and the quality of this content will get higher and higher and it will be cheaper and cheaper. Soon, one artist will do a Final Fantasy type film using canned characters, canned motions, canned FX and the content will be versatile enough that this creation is original and cool... and cheap.

Because computers, software and salaries will get cheaper, most productions will just have a few guys in house handle all the FX.

Someone will shoot, edit and and cool VFX to a movie, all on an iPad, and it will get real distribution.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by AJ1:
Hows the motion graphics/3d job market in Chi right now? I was last there in '10, and things were less than brilliant. Seems most places were just trying to stay afloat.

-AJ

Honestly, I think it's on the up right now. I got lucky and got hired right when I graduated in '10, so maybe that's why it doesn't seem that bad to me, but more and more ad agencies are looking for 3D work, and a handful of new places are opening up (The Mill and Method to name a few).

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by newguy4liThfe: The only negative I see is that more people are able to do it for cheap which lowers the value of CGI.........

I think you really answered your own question there.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by newguy4life: Honestly, I think it's on the up right now. I got lucky and got hired right when I graduated in '10, so maybe that's why it doesn't seem that bad to me, but more and more ad agencies are looking for 3D work, and a handful of new places are opening up (The Mill and Method to name a few).

Wow! That's great news about The Mill and Method!

I don't think they hire people with my limited skill set, but Ill keep a look out for postings none the less.

Ill have to check out S1mone then. I really liked Gattacca and Truman Show, so against the advice of Leigh, Ill give it a chance.

Thanks for passing along that news Quin, and thanks Leigh and Emre for the movie recommendation.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 12 December 2012 at 07:43 PM.

12 December 2012
cgi heading to small army and good quality of work . just like ILP(important looking pirates)

12 December 2012
It is continuing to become more important other industries. Medical, legal, construction, energy, science, the list goes on.

In construction CG has become more than just a way to make pretty pictures, but a way to create meaningful models that can be used to help the guys in the field.

CG is spreading and finding a truely meaningful purposes everywhere. And it's not just you Hollywood guys that get to play with the cool toys.

12 December 2012
Would also add IT consultancies to that list, a lot of projects floating around to do with 3D mapping, infrastructure transformation.. There are a lot of legacy IT systems getting retired and being replaced with fully automated systems, automated baggage check in, incident management systems, geo location tagging, so on and so forth.

That said niche software vendors are just starting to fill the gap. Huge day rates can be justified for quite straight forward work if you understand the business objectives well.

Last edited by conbom : 12 December 2012 at 11:53 PM.

Thread Closed share thread