Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Pfft, nevermind Stuttgart - we can go monster trucking to volcanos in Iceland! Friends and I did that last Easter, what an amazing place. I have to go back.

Huh, sounds like a ton of fun. Iceland sounds (and looks) awesome, but I'm thinking of some place a little, you know, warmer! We have about 18 months of cold, drisly winter here in the PNW and visiting some place cold is the last thing on my list.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #32
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
The highlight of my year is of course REVERSION. Not just finishing the film but winning two awards in the short time it's been on the circuit.

I learned so much... and it was actually a very humbling experience.
Directorships are not Dictatorships and I learned that as Director in a team I have no monopoly of all good ideas.

Looking forward to 2013 (and maybe the next major project)

Old 12-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #33
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

2012 has been a rather dull year for me. I worked on fewer animatics and just continued with school. Looking at things one way, I could say that being one of 5 interviewed for an internship at a big studio I would like to work for is a highlight but I got the call yesterday that they went with someone else. Perhaps 2013 will be better with my final term at school starting soon.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #34
reynold
assassin monkey
portfolio
reynold tagore
Texture Artist
Weta Digital
Wellington, New Zealand

Send a message via MSN to reynold Send a message via Yahoo to reynold
The highlight of my 2012/life
- Working on The Hobbit
- Sir Ian McKellen, Bernard Hill(King Theoden), and Lawrence(Lurtz) visited us at work and had them signed my swords
- Working in the same building with Alan Lee and John Howe

Old 12-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #35
-Sai-
Attribute transfer SOP

Sai
FX TD
ILM
Vancouver, Canada

surviving DDMG...

Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #36
Frotze
Insatiable learner

portfolio
David Forest
Montreal, Canada

2012 was a rather surreal year for me actually.

Exactly one year ago, I decided to quit my job and go full-time with two of my friends on a short animated film we had been developping in our spare time. The short was initially supposed to be finished by now but we've been working so hard and so long we just can't see ourselves cut corners and waste all our efforts. So we plan on stretching our savings and holding on the longest we can. There's a possibility of a grant coming so we'll see how it goes.

Either way, the film is looking fantastic and I'm very proud of what we've achieved. The piggy bank ain't exactly thrilled, but taking risks never felt so great.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #37
JamesNZ
Frequenter
portfolio
James W
Wellington, New Zealand

Biggest thing of 2012 for me was 'learning'. I learned tons and tons! Still got a long way to go though

For a few months at the beginning of the year my computer broke down so I was without that for a while, and it made me think a lot about how I should use the computer to improve my skills while I can, instead of when I go to uni and won't have any time to do that. So when I eventually replaced it, I started doing weekly VFX shots which really stretched me.

Another highlight would be completing the FXWars challenge since that was the first time I had to work against a serious deadline.

I was also invited to work on a short film as a modeler and that's been really fun.

Can't wait for 2013

- Jesus

Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #38
Equinoxx
Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Yves Adam
3d Designer
Rotterdam, Netherlands

For me, the single most epic event was, like AJ, the birth of my son Jack in march.

Work related I am glad to see our main work shift from archviz into other territories, so we can survive the clusterfuck that is the housingmarket

Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #39
Dirtvic
stuck in pixels

portfolio
Dushyant Bhardwaj
Texturing lighting
New Delhi, India

Wink

For me 2012 was a good year overall.

Its started all when i got my first call for interview from mumbai in pranas studio as a texturing artist.but that was not a success i went there for set- texturing test but just because my train tickets were booked so i need to give that for organic(Human skin) and i was not good in sss at that time that cost me. they said if i came on the next day they can take the set texturing test but thats not possible as i already booked my tickets for return. after that i got another call from Delhi and I got my first job as a texturing artist in cg industry and its been six months i am working... and i still missed that i lost a chance to work in Pranas studio.

2. I learned Zbrush this year.
and i am a regular guy on cgsociety wip forum. learned lots of new techniques and tricks that people use in their works.

and my plans for 2013 are already fixed i am going to make a short film in 2013 with whole process included and another
big thing would be Houdini...

Cheers!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #40
narenn
PRO
portfolio
Naren Naidoo
Pixel Pusher
ILM
USA

For the past year, I've been heavily focused on building my compositing and roto/paint skills through over a dozen indie based shorts and features, one of those being a little film called "Beasts of the Southern Wild". Overall my biggest highlight of the year was a recent one, I officially landed my first major industry gig at a major vfx studio! So far I'm loving it! Can't imagine what next year will bring...

Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #41
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Congrats to everyone who had a child born in 2012!

Some things are more important than CG, and raising children of your own is one of them I think...

2013 is going to be an exciting year for us. I hope it works out well for everyone!

Old 12-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #42
forelle
Know-it-All
portfolio
Jack Greasley
London , United Kingdom

It's been another good year for Mari.

Some great releases, some very hard work, lots of travel.

9/10 of the VFX Oscar nominations this year used Mari for their texture painting, which isn't bad.

Having Mari used in high end gaming for the first time was nice.

I think next year will be a big one. Some very interesting stuff on the Horizon which should shake things up a bit.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #43
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by forelle
9/10 of the VFX Oscar nominations this year used Mari for their texture painting, which isn't bad.

That's pretty impressive for such a new software...

Good luck with your future releases!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #44
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

I finished the anatomy course this year, and a bit of this, a bit of that.

Last edited by mister3d : 12-19-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #45
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

looking forward to the end of the world so i can take a vacation. lol

Thread Closed share thread