The end of another year! What are your personal highlights?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by AJ:

...although my progress was cut short by the number one event of 2012, the birth of our baby daughter 5 weeks ago.

(Toilet roll optional)

It's going to be pretty hard to top that last one

Roll on 2013!

agreed! its' your best lifetime achievement... cherish it, goes by fast my friend!

12 December 2012
Probably summer. Summer was nice.

12 December 2012
Lets see well. . . I think first of all I found a wonderful girlfriend I love spending time with. I had a amazing time traveling through China in the spring. I began working on some personal 3D projects that I am really proud of so far. I created a mining 3D showpiece for my company that was featured in the Las Vegas mining trade expo. I hiked top the top of a mountain in the Canadian Rockies.

12 December 2012
Wow. I hadn't thought about it, maybe because I didn't do much art wise. Like Horganovski mentioned, my biggest highlights were outside of work and art. As far as work and art, though, I will start with the biggest, at least for me.

I got a Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Note tablet computer, with a real Wacom technology pressure sensitive pen. This is my one and only drawing rig now. I don't even like to touch my computer anymore. Since getting it, I have spent most of my time getting acquainted with it, and practicing. I have always drawn better with pencil and paper than on the computer, but this device brings me as close as I will probably ever get to that feeling.

Earlier in the year I did some teaching, some 2D drawing and manga courses around China, but nothing was really clicking, so my true biggest highlights were getting out of the whole work and art thing.

In January, I spent some time in this place, among others. It was something of a life changing experience. That led me to wanting to get out of the whole work and art thing, and take the plunge, just do my own projects and make my own way.

In August, I moved to a small town in China, one step from being in the country. Clean air, fresh water, lots of great people, everyone knows everyone etc.

In September, I got married and joined an amazing family.

Last week we got a positive!

I have been traveling for four and half years now, without returning home, and I believe this is what I was always looking for. Life is slow paced, laid back and easy here. I feel like I can think like a novelist and slowly put something great together.

For 2013, there will be new life, but I also hope to create my first larger project! (drawn on my tablet heheh)
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by noouch: Probably summer. Summer was nice.

Hey, speak for yourself! :-)

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Crotalis: That in turn has lead to the most exciting thing that happened to me this year. I just found out that in September of 2013 I will be going to a small island chain off the California coast to photograph and film Great White sharks! I'm practically jumping out of my skin as I type this! lol

I'm guessing this is the Farallon Islands? At a party I went to many years ago when I lived in the Bay Area, a guy was a marine bio student brought slides (how old-school!) and video of a trip out there. It was pretty harrowing. They were in 15' oar boats (with some larger tenders nearby) and there were 18 to 22' great whites all around them. Made me want to go do it, too. Have fun!

As for myself, it was a busy (20th!) year at my regular games job. On top of that, I don't have much time for freelance anymore, so I take only the work I like and that has long enough lead-times that I don't burn myself out working late nights and weekends. Was fortunate to get a cool job by word of mouth from a regular client, though. I was asked to do the event poster for the 30th anniversary of the US Air Force Space Command. They did special events in Colorado and Washington DC this year (your tax dollars at work!) and it was pretty heady having my artwork reviewed and approved by General Shelton himself!

Other than that, spent a wonderful 2 weeks camping and exploring Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks over the summer. As awesome as those places are, camping in bear country is tiring. I'm looking forward to sitting all day on a beach in Hawaii next time!

Hope everyone has a great 2013!

Last edited by Artbot : 12 December 2012 at 05:48 AM.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Artbot: I'm looking forward to sitting all day on a beach in Hawaii next time!

Or get your ass out to this side of the Atlantic for some beers with me on one of those grand European adventures of mine that you're always so jealous about!

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by leigh: Or get your ass out to this side of the Atlantic for some beers with me on one of those grand European adventures of mine that you're always so jealous about!

Would love to ;-). My wife is actually trying to get me to do just that since she has family in Stuttgart, and I have never been to Europe. But I think our 7 year old would prefer to learn surfing & snorkeling instead of following mom and dad on pub crawls and museum tours. We'll see how things go this coming year.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Artbot: Would love to ;-). My wife is actually trying to get me to do just that since she has family in Stuttgart, and I have never been to Europe. But I think our 7 year old would prefer to learn surfing & snorkeling instead of following mom and dad on pub crawls and museum tours. We'll see how things go this coming year.

Pfft, nevermind Stuttgart - we can go monster trucking to volcanos in Iceland! Friends and I did that last Easter, what an amazing place. I have to go back.

12 December 2012
Quote: Pfft, nevermind Stuttgart - we can go monster trucking to volcanos in Iceland! Friends and I did that last Easter, what an amazing place. I have to go back.

This beats my shark story hands down!lol That sounds awesome! Also, Artbot, yes, that's the place! I'll be in a slightly bigger boat though. lol

12 December 2012
Hi Leigh, a quick question, just to be on the safe side, are links and images allowed in the responses?

One of my 2012 highlights was a home made head mounted camera project that I worked on but has since been deleted as a thread from CG Talk, so I am not sure I can talk about it.

The other highlight was just being able to finally get back into animation after I lost all my studio equipment to a robbery. I had to take a 4 month break from film making, to regroup, I went back to full time employment so I could support my family.

I finally got the strength back to rebuild the short animated film I was working on. My 3d animated film files were stolen along with my backup files, and all my photography equipment, dslrs and prime lenses.

So I am definitely looking forward to 2013.

You can see the progress I have made in the rebuilding here: http://www.galiwango.com

Solomon W. Jagwe
Soreel GraFX
http://www.sowl.com

Last edited by Solomon : 12 December 2012 at 09:27 PM.

12 December 2012
Quote: This beats my shark story hands down!

Hah, no your shark adventure is going to be totally amazing. Although my two best travel adventures (and I've had a lot to choose from) were definitely the Iceland volcano monster trucking, and going up to the arctic last winter, where I saw the aurora borealis (the most spectacular thing I've ever seen), and also went husky sledding. During the latter I actually severely injured my one leg, which still causes me problems, but it was totally worth it.

Two summers ago a friend and I went around Norway, including sailing on the Sognefjord, which was pretty epic too. I'd say that was my third best adventure.

Travelling is the best way to spend money and time.

12 December 2012
The monster trucking in the volcano sounds seriously cool.

Personally, at a professional level it has to be the best year in my career. Though it may not sound that important to most around here, getting my first job in an animated feature film has been the greatest thing that could happen to my career. Specially since it has been my goal from day 1. Having now experience in film will enable me to search other film jobs, plus I'm working with great great professionals and learning/growing like never before.

By the way, congrats on the newly born AJ.
Cheers everyone!

12 December 2012
This year has been pretty good for me. I've been busy at work, which is always a good thing. My biggest personal highlight of the year has nothing to do with CG. I participated in Fermilab's 2012 Photowalk and had the chance to enter my photos into their photowalk competition. They picked their 25 favorite photos (from over 230), and narrowed it down to the top five, which were then selected to go into an international Photowalk competition which starts later this month. Of the top five, two of them were mine.

My photos took 2nd and 3rd place.

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/photowalk/winning-images.html

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/presspass/p...t-20121112.html

I certainly look forward to doing more photography type projects in 2013.

12 December 2012
Well, after a year of barely skimming by on freelance work, in early '12 I finally landed another 'day job' (in the nick of time really), moved from sunny dry New Mexico to cloudy wet Seattle, promptly got all my camera gear stolen, and have spent the year playing catch up to pay back the mess that was '11. Unfortunately, I haven't touched any personal cg work in '12, but I have spent some time going back to traditional mediums and getting my feet wet with oils.

In any event, now that my wife and I are both here and have had some time to settle in, for '13 I'm looking forward to getting back to some old personal projects.

Thread Closed share thread