JeremyTAvery
Veteran

portfolio
Jeremy Avery
Texture Artist
Fresno, USA

Texture artist portfolio

Hey everyone,
I have a question about a texture artist portfolio. I have been an environment artist for a while and I recently decided to switch my focus and become a texture artist but I am not sure how to make my portfolio reflect that. What should I include? Do most texture artist use their own models? Thanks for any input.

-Jeremy

Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
McNistor
intergalactic alien

McNistor
Romania

I'm not a texture artist myself, but my intuition tells me that the best situation you could be in is that in which you'd be showing your texturing skills on your own models.
It's hard for me to believe that a great texturing artist can't sculpt/model in a decent way to say the least.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNistor
I'm not a texture artist myself, but my intuition tells me that the best situation you could be in is that in which you'd be showing your texturing skills on your own models.
It's hard for me to believe that a great texturing artist can't sculpt/model in a decent way to say the least.

Sorry but this is, frankly, bollocks. A texture painter is a texture painter. Never in all my years of working as a texture painter have I been asked to model or sculpt anything. Are modelling skills beneficial? Yes. Are they necessary? No. If a studio is looking to hire a texture painter, they couldn't care less whether the models on your reel were done by you or not.

Unlike this poster, I do work as a texture painter, and have for the last decade and a bit.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Sorry but this is, frankly, bollocks.

You can't get more to the point than that.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
McNistor
intergalactic alien

McNistor
Romania

Quote:
Sorry but this is, frankly, bollocks. A texture painter is a texture painter. Never in all my years of working as a texture painter have I been asked to model or sculpt anything. Are modelling skills beneficial? Yes. Are they necessary? No. If a studio is looking to hire a texture painter, they couldn't care less whether the models on your reel were done by you or not.

Unlike this poster, I do work as a texture painter, and have for the last decade and a bit.

I didn't say it's necessary, I said it's "the best situation you could be in".
And yes, it is my opinion that you can't be a great texturing artist if you don't know how to sculpt/model decently.
I said what I think and he will do whatever he wants with that info.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
th3ta
Veteran

portfolio
3d Artist
In a dark office, USA

Do you think the textures on Gollum were good? They recruited some airbrush artist who had never even used a computer before to paint them. Don't need to know how to model to be able to paint.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
McNistor
intergalactic alien

McNistor
Romania

That may be so. Probably my choice of words was not the best possible.
I meant "able" not "know", therefore if you're great at texturing you're going to be great at sculpting/modeling too if you start doing it. It's because I believe (emphasize "believe" as I don't have a scientific proof) the artistic skills necessary to do great texturing work is the same with the sculpting skills.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #8
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

UV mapping & painting skills are what you need to display in your demo. dont bother with anything else unless you already have previously made material to put on the back end of your reel.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
JeremyTAvery
Veteran

portfolio
Jeremy Avery
Texture Artist
Fresno, USA

Thanks guys, I didn't mean for this to become a heated discussion. I do have some modeling skills I just wanted to know where I should focus my attention. I didn't want to waste a lot of time modeling when I could have been texture painting. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #10
Dirtvic
stuck in pixels

portfolio
Dushyant Bhardwaj
Texturing lighting
New Delhi, India

Thanks for putting this question JeremyTAvery.

As I am also learning texturing so i want some more info on this. Like i am texturing guy and i used much of my textures from internet and do some changes in photoshop blending and other . I am not good at painting my own texturing in Photoshop. So it is necessary to become very good in photoshop in making our own textures?

Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNistor
I didn't say it's necessary, I said it's "the best situation you could be in".

Except I wasn't referring to that sentence with regards to the necessity, I was talking about this one:

Quote:
And yes, it is my opinion that you can't be a great texturing artist if you don't know how to sculpt/model decently.

Your insinuation here is that it is necessary to be able to model and sculpt "decently" in order to be a "great" texture painter. This is simply not true. It's not even a matter of opinion. Some of the best texture painters I've ever worked with (and I've worked with a lot in some of the best studios in the world so their "greatness" isn't really up for debate) couldn't model their way out of a box.

As I said earlier, I think it's always going to be beneficial for people to have knowledge of other parts of the process simply because it can make communication between departments easier (texture painters therefore benefit from knowledge of both modelling and lookdev) but it's absolutely not necessary in order to be a great texture painter.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
everlite
Expert

portfolio
David Edwards
Professional Matte painter & concept Artist
Freelance DMP / 3d Generalist
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via Yahoo to everlite

Unwrapping and asset management a maybe, but knowledge of modelling is definitely not needed; in most cases lol. I've worked for a few places where I was asked to model and texture assets, but usually small commercial shops. All said; A modeller will likely benefit from demonstrating basic texturing skills.

And to back up the above; no one's going to give a sh*t if the asset is modelled by you or someone else, they just want to see all the pretty paintings Demonstrating different maps; color, disp, spec, might be a plus.

Dave

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
AndyCGS
Veteran
portfolio
Andy
Korea (South)

Quote:
Sorry but this is, frankly, bollocks.

How rude and un-neccesary. As admin staff, isn't it, y'know, sort of a good idea to be nice and polite to the community you oversee?

Nothing stopping you doing a bit of both OP! Just re-texture your older work to your current standard, then grab some models online and texture them too. Just make sure you're showing flats on your website. I wouldn't recommend a video reel for a texture artists really.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel

Errr, what? There's absolutely nothing rude about what I said. You may have noticed that the person I was talking to rightly didn't take offense, so why try to cause a problem over it? Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the term, but it's a totally unremarkable phrase here in England, where it originates.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
AndyCGS
Veteran
portfolio
Andy
Korea (South)

Quote:
Errr, what? There's absolutely nothing rude about what I said. You may have noticed that the person I was talking to rightly didn't take offense, so why try to cause a problem over it? Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the term, but it's a totally unremarkable phrase here in England, where it originates.

To call what someone is saying bollocks is rude.

Except if they're a good buddy of course

And I'm from England originally.

Thread Closed share thread