hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

From an earlier article around Comic-Con:

"After Earth is set 1000 years after cataclysmic events forced humanityís escape from Earth, and Nova Prime has become mankindís new home. Legendary Gen. Cypher Raige (Will Smith) returns from an extended tour of duty to his estranged family, ready to be a father to his 13-year-old son, Kitai (Jaden Smith). When an asteroid storm damages Cypher and Kitaiís craft, they crash-land on a now unfamiliar and dangerous Earth. As his father lies dying in the cockpit, Kitai must trek across the hostile terrain to recover their rescue beacon. His whole life, Kitai has wanted nothing more than to be a soldier like his father. Today, he gets his chance. Itís the second time the Smiths are forming a father-son tandem after The Pursuit Of Happyness.

The publishing and digital shorts program will encompass two novels and multiple shorts, along with a single-issue comic, After Earth: Innocence, which Random House publishes in October in partnership with Dynamite Entertainment. The comic is a prequel that introduces Cypher and Kitai and helps establish the world by covering such incidents as mankindís exodus from Earth and arrival on Nova Prime, as well as the first contact with a deadly alien species."

Old 12-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #17
duany
Frequenter

portfolio
duany Smith
Taiwan,

scenes are worth to see,such as landscape and forest,beautiful made.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #18
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

Quote:
the only twist in Airbender was that it sucked so much

Lol! What a terrible movie it must be. I was lucky enough to escape watching it.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

I closed the trailer 3 seconds in when I read M night, I'm done with that guy.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
Legendary Gen. Cypher Raige (Will Smith) .... 13-year-old son, Kitai (Jaden Smith).

Those names are absolutely terrible, and sound like GI Joe characters....

That said, this looks pretty damned good, and from the trailer, more enjoyable than Oblivion (I know its unfair to compare two films that haven't been released yet, and for all we know offer COMPLETELY different stories).
I love the opening scene where Will Smiths character gets sucked through the ship.

I really enjoyed Jaden Smith in The Karate Kid. He can act, and obviously the chemistry between the two of them comes built in.

The only thing Im weary about is the director. And dammit, thats SO frustrating!

Have there been any script reviews?

Last edited by Pyke : 12-11-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
kmest
a super sayajin jedi!

portfolio
Reza Farsad
VFX Artist, Look Dev
Polygon Pictures
Tokyo, Japan

Send a message via MSN to kmest Send a message via Yahoo to kmest
With lots of post apocalypse movies in progress, including this,oblivion and upcoming new Mad max, i think its time for a true FIST OF THE NORTH STAR film
imagine Kenshiro and Raoh fighting with Mocap digital doubles... how cool or bad can it be?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #22
Grrrrrrr
God Shepherd

portfolio
Vladimir Teneslav
Environment Artist
Gameloft
Romania

Send a message via Yahoo to Grrrrrrr
I personally thought the visuals in Oblivion are a lot more crisp and well achieved than After Earth. Some shots here are really too obviously vfx shots.

And the realistic color grading doesn't sit well with me after all the orange/magenta I was forced to swallow the last years.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
redbellpeppers
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chris
Standing, USA

I dunno what to think about this; M Night aside, the trailer itself generates little interest from me.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #24
Pixanaut
Secure and Secret.
Not gonna tell ya.
Canada

"Legendary Gen. Cypher Raige"

LOL.
*facepalm*
Pass.

Oblivion looks more interesting. Morgan Freeman and Tom Cruise's involvement make it much more interesting. Will Smith making another movie with his own kid AS his own kid is an issue for me. For some reason I find it a bit creepy that they're real life father and son and they're making more movies together. It feels like Will keeps going 'look what my boy can do now!'... Should have replaced one of them in this film, in my opinion.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #25
Pookyjuice
autodiadact

Malik Williams
Senior Tools Developer
The Third Floor
Los Angeles, USA

I agree that his character's name recalls some of the more obvious "named by a 9-year-old" characters from Star Wars 1-3, but if many people actually had the kind of of pull to do the "father and son" as father and son acting thing, they'd do so. Lord knows we've seen our share of husband-and-wife acting duos throughout the years. I see it more as him securing his family as an acting dynasty - He realizes he's getting old to play some of the roles he used to, time to pass the torch.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #26
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookyjuice
I agree that his character's name recalls some of the more obvious "named by a 9-year-old" characters from Star Wars 1-3, but if many people actually had the kind of of pull to do the "father and son" as father and son acting thing, they'd do so. Lord knows we've seen our share of husband-and-wife acting duos throughout the years. I see it more as him securing his family as an acting dynasty - He realizes he's getting old to play some of the roles he used to, time to pass the torch.

Yeah, this is 100% Will Smith trying to turn his son in to a movie star, and as it happens it looks like the only one that he can pay off to put his kid in to a movie is M. Night.

And that's so sad.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #27
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Wink why so sad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki
Yeah, this is 100% Will Smith trying to turn his son in to a movie star, and as it happens it looks like the only one that he can pay off to put his kid in to a movie is M. Night.

And that's so sad.

Uh... did you actually checked the wikipedia page and look at who the producer?
And who is the screen writer? (hint: academy award winner).

If he decided to go with M.Night as a director, I can be sure of only one reason: he's good at making movies with a child being the main lead:

1)Sixth Sense
2)Avatar The Last Airbender

Those are that I can remember. There are different rules to follow, trust me. I own Where The Wild Things Are the making of books, where the main lead is then 7/8 years old or something (Max Record). From work hour, to stunt (its not just as easy as replace as in adult lead, they are not the same size, remember how they make the motorcycle scene in Terminator 2?) and much much more.

Will Smith did the right thing.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

I couldnt find a review thread for After Earth, but I really think this movie needs some discussion!

I heard horrible things about it, and almost wrote it off as a 'if its on tv, Ill watch it then' thing, but I had some free time on a Saturday, and, after Star Trek - whats the worst that could happen?

And I really wasn't disappointed. As far as a cool Saturday night movie goes, it was pretty damned good.

I loved the production design. The general feel of being so far in the future in terms of technology is an almost impossible feat, but they succeeded in making the 'human' things feel 'alien' enough for me to buy that civilisation is very different - but still human.

I also quite enjoyed the creature design, particularly the main monster.

The acting wasn't stellar, but was passable. While people complained about the accents of the characters, I wasn't distracted by them, or impressed with them. I could have taken or left them-but the fact that they created a new accent shows just how far the preproduction wanted to push the idea of a new human race.

I think that the directing had a bit of sloppiness to it. Its almost like Shyamalan doesn't trust his audience to fill in the gaps, and feels the need to explain everything that's happening at every moment. 'Show don't tell' doesn't exist in his directing handbook. The man should be banned from using voice overs. A more skilled director could have really turned this project into something VERY special, instead of just something that's neither great, nor terrible.

Its a very very simple story, almost like something from the 70's or 80's staple of SciFi. Those movies (Terminator, Logans Run, Soylent Green ) were very simple stories in very complex worlds, and After Earth is very much something cut from that same cloth.

The action sequences werent over the top, and I didnt feel like the story was just pulling me from one set piece to the next, like the Transformers films, or the recent Into Darkness.

All in all, its a good movie. Not an amazing movie, but certainly not the train wreck that the critics have painted it as. I read that a lot of other material (books, comics, etc) have been planned and set in this world, and I really hope that they continue with them. In a way, the story would almost be better suited to a graphic novel than a film.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #29
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread