After Earth Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
After Earth Trailer

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59941
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Looks like "Earth as future wasteland" theme is picking up steam.

Wonder what MNS's twist will be this time. It can't be that it's actually earth they are on since they said it in the trailer, right? Or they could just be hitting new heights of giving away everything in the trailer, even his trademark twist ending.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
This doesn't look to be a wasteland movie, more like a lush jungle movie where humans drop a few notches on the food chain.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Well Shyamalan can be great or can be terrible, we shall see.

Old 12 December 2012   #5
TBH, not much faith in M. Night anymore, I´m relying more on Wil Smith´s track record when it comes to picking projects... and the fact that it does look interesting.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Obligatory "Welcome to URF"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk

Might be Ok... but it might also be one of those studio knock offs(Armageddon/Deepimpact) made to take the steam out of the upcoming Tom Cruise movie.

edit: oh wait, it's M. Night? LOL! screw this movie.

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Looks alright from the trailer. I like Will Smith as an actor. Could be a good film.

Its interesting that so many "dystopian future" films are being made all at the same time...

Anyone know what started this trend?

Old 12 December 2012   #8
Yeah this is different in that maybe there is no twist, I think it's just a sort of adventure story, cynical Jaden Smith promotion vehicle, meets future creature concept art movie.

If MNS can just play this straight I think it could be halfway decent..he used to be good at drama and tension and all that, I just have serious doubts since the only twist in Airbender was that it sucked so much, and you didn't see that coming from the trailers. :P

Old 12 December 2012   #9
Meh, has potential but MNS has fooled me a few times now.

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Originally Posted by DePaint: Looks alright from the trailer. I like Will Smith as an actor. Could be a good film.

Its interesting that so many "dystopian future" films are being made all at the same time...

Anyone know what started this trend?

There are always at least two of any movie with a "trending topic", this has happened dozens of times before all the way back to the beginning of movies..usually it's because of a single script being shopped around to studios that gives other producers ideas, but they don't want to buy that exact film, or a lot of times it's if a theme or style becomes "hot" they all race each other to get a movie like that made.

Look at all the re-imagined fairy tale movies and TV shows that have come out, or are still yet to come, etc. it's just a sort of bandwagon thing that happens if "they" all think it's a cool thing to try and out-do each other on.

Really not sure which came first in this instance, I know AE has been in the works for a long time, but I don't know how long the Oblivion graphic novel was in the works either.

Old 12 December 2012   #11
Originally Posted by hypercube: There are always at least two of any movie with a "trending topic", this has happened dozens of times before all the way back to the beginning of movies..usually it's because of a single script being shopped around to studios that gives other producers ideas, but they don't want to buy that exact film, or a lot of times it's if a theme or style becomes "hot" they all race each other to get a movie like that made.

While I agree with this, I have to say that no genre has been done as much as a post-apocalyptic/dystopian future genre over the past 10-20 years.

Maybe it is a collective pessimism about environmental change we are going through showing itself. Kind of like when a lot of war movies appear during/after a war. I remember there was a presentation on how this societal psychology is being reflected in creative media somewhere.

That being said, I like this trailer a whole lot better than the Oblivion one. Something about "we leave the Earth and life keeps on evolving" appeals more to me than whatever it was in the Oblivion. Granted, I hope they don't make the movie take place in 2112 or something and give at least a million years for evolution to do its thing

Old 12 December 2012   #12
Maybe it's from the year 2000 being anticipated as the end of the world, and now the mayan calendar thing this year

Edit: well and of course the grand daddy of post apocalypse scenarios, the atomic bomb has been with us for quite a while, and the idea that "No matter what World War 3 is fought with, the next war after that will be fought with rocks and sticks".

I think there's definitely always been a thing with the apocalypse, and the post-apocalypse, this is more of the same but with a modern environmental slant for sure.

Supposedly this is only 1000 years later, but I think there is some sci-fi explanation as to why Earth got so weird so fast, I know their spaceships are partially organic.

Last edited by hypercube : 12 December 2012 at 09:55 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #13
I found poster really bad and uninteresting.

It's interesting that it says from director of Unbreakable and not some recent crap he made

Old 12 December 2012   #14
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: I found poster really bad and uninteresting.

It's interesting that it says from director of Unbreakable and not some recent crap he made

Also Jaden Smith got a lot older, and looks like Will Smith had a hell of a lot of plastic surgery.

Old 12 December 2012   #15
The landscape and forest visuals are stunning. I would go and see the movie just for that.

Thread Closed share thread