Anyone else playing FarCry 3?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1

I got the game a few days ago, on PC, and am really enjoying it.

It runs great on a mid-range Core i5 laptop. It seems that they have optimized CryEngine 3 nicely for it.

It also has that beautifuly "Crysis 1" + "Far Cry 1" open-world gameplay feel.

And its the first FPS game where I have fought sharks, crocodiles and comodo dragons with a knife, or skinned goats, sheeps and pigs I've slain to craft rucksacks, wallets, pouches...

I also like that they included the fire-propagation tech from Far Cry 2... makes for interesting situations when the scenery around you is ablaze, and opponents are running around in the flames.

If not, its a seriously well put together game that blends RPG skills with FPS weaponry...

Old 12 December 2012   #2
An amazing game. There are some riotous moments when wild life starts joining in too. Soon I'd like to see some more realism in it like some of the Skyrim modders have done.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
I'll get it soon, looks like a great game.

(and it uses the dunia engine , the cryengine is from crytech, used in crysis1.. and crysis2 (the one with small maps, blurry textures and dumb AI)

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Apparently its the Dunia 2 engine being used. Which is a highly modified CryEngine, apparently originally developed by a guy working at Crytech.

Crysis 2 ran like s%%t on my Core i5 Gaming Laptop. Barely playable at 800 x 600, with many engine features dialled down.

It was also not a very good game, imo. I didn't get much joy from playing it at all. Very linear, and ultimately a bore...

Far Cry 3 runs beautifully smooth at 1024 x 768 with fairly high detail settings.

And its a vastly better game than Crysis 2, or Far Cry 2 was.

I like the open world in it. I like the RPG elements. I like the wildlife, the changing weather, the fire propagation, and many other things.

It borrows a few things from open world games like Just Cause 2. But it does it without copying things blatantly.

And I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet...

I highly recommend Far Cry 3 to anyone who hasn't played it yet. It's a lot of fun imo...

Old 12 December 2012   #5
I think it will be in my Christmas stocking, which this year is surprisingly well hidden. Parents do learn, old dogs new tricks I guess.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread