Oblivion - Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #46
Originally Posted by hypercube: How is it nullified? They still had to do the flyby shots AND these shots. They were able to accomplish all these other shots in a different way.

And yeah, just like the efforts taken building Flynn's apartment or the bar in Tron Legacy, and having the suits actually light up, sure a lot of the rest of it is tweaked or even replaced, but it's all still there for the shots it is in.

Look forward to the more in-depth article(s), trevanian.

Oops, spoke too soon. They put the Jackie Robinson movie on the cover instead of OBLIVION. (probably couldn't get Cruise to approve an image ... I remember it took MONTHS at CINEFEX to get an okay for their INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE cover with him.) Anyway, the mag only puts the cover story online, sorry.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 04 April 2013   #47
As long as they have it in the print edition.

Old 04 April 2013   #48
Not sure if this was already posted, but Oh. My. Gawd.

(no spoilers)

Old 04 April 2013   #49
Soundtrack available for some listening

http://mashable.com/2013/04/04/stre...ion-soundtrack/

Is it me or is it at times a bit too much like Daft Punk's score for Tron Legacy?

The song at the end rocks, though. Nordic singer girls FTW.

Old 04 April 2013   #50
It's because of Tapanese, he worked on Legacy and did the Tron Uprising Soundtrack.

Old 04 April 2013   #51
I'd say those track titles are kind of spoilery, but again, what mystery is left for this movie?

Love that practical build and the flying rig for the Bubbleship. I could happily just watch Daniel Simon design everything for a while, I love his stuff.

Old 04 April 2013   #52
The lighting seems so real, so most sci-fi movies look fake compared to it. Also scenes are very well lit, or is it camera exposure allowing for so much detailing in shadows?

Old 04 April 2013   #53
This is the first movie to hit theaters that was shot with Sony's F65, which is the next big thing (well, EVIL DEAD & the new M. Night also shot on it, those are the ones I know of.)

Depending on who you talk with it is either a 6k or 8K camera, and that translated to 4k Horizontal resolution, which gives them a nice range to work from when they go down to 2K. So I imagine all that contributes to seeing well into the shadow side.

I'd be interested to see what Simon might do with the CYGNUS for that BLACK HOLE remake. I'd be equally interested in what Jim Martin might come up with, some of his unused DS9 designs were incredible, and I thought a lot of what he drew for ALIEN REZ was awesome as well. For decades I've wanted to see somebody make spaceships look like the ones John Berkey painted on all those SF book covers (he did the poster inside the STAR WARS album for those old enough to remember such things), and if you realize the original BLACK HOLE's designs by Ellenshaw were all derived from Robert McCall's work, you can see how starting with another unique artist and then porting him through a movie-look mentality can have impressive results.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 04 April 2013   #54
Ah was wondering about that, the F65 and Alexa have phenomenal range. Can't wait to see it on the big screen.

As much as I love the original Black Hole and its designs, very much looking forward to what this "team" will bring to it visually, and actually with the writer of the first (better) Prometheus script onboard, that they can keep the dark tone in it and kick it all up a notch. The original movie was insanely dark for a "kid's" movie, but then shifted back to oddly silly moods/scenes at times. I bet if the whole thing is played relatively straight and with all this design and mood coating it, could be incredible.

Old 04 April 2013   #55
I didn't know that guy was writing it, I'm thinking this is sounding better and better.

Kinda on topic, I've heard many times that the original script for EVENT HORIZON (sort of the ROLLING STONES to THE BLACK HOLE's THE BEATLES if you will) was actually a lot more coherent and intelligent than what we wound up with -- which was super nice art direction and miniature work wrapped around some pretty thin story. Does anybody know about the guy who wrote it or if that pre- Paul Anderson script is around someplace?

I'm always intrigued by black hole stories in print and on screen ... one of my pitches to NextGeneration was a blackhole story (found out John Varley had done a story with the same core idea though in a very humorous veing), one that seemed pretty farfetched but had some actual science research in it ... got dismissed as 'we don't do fantasy.' Kinda pissed me off, given some of the less-than-credible premises TNG went with.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 04 April 2013   #56
Originally Posted by Artbot: Not sure if this was already posted, but Oh. My. Gawd.

(no spoilers)

Quoted for agreement. That is just so impressive.

Old 04 April 2013   #57
Originally Posted by mister3d: The lighting seems so real, so most sci-fi movies look fake compared to it. Also scenes are very well lit, or is it camera exposure allowing for so much detailing in shadows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzqd...zQQUzxa&index=3

Interesting BTS video on the lighting of the Skytower. All in camera, no blue screen, so the lighting is "real".

Old 04 April 2013   #58
Originally Posted by trevanian: Kinda on topic, I've heard many times that the original script for EVENT HORIZON (sort of the ROLLING STONES to THE BLACK HOLE's THE BEATLES if you will) was actually a lot more coherent and intelligent than what we wound up with -- which was super nice art direction and miniature work wrapped around some pretty thin story. Does anybody know about the guy who wrote it or if that pre- Paul Anderson script is around someplace?

I've been looking for it for YEARS. If anyone has it, I second the 'please pop it my direction' thing.
The original original story was that the EH was an Alien Research Lab, but when it went into its man-made version, the script was a lot less 'on the head' in terms of 'it went to judo-catholic hell'. A lot of that was implied, and left up to the viewer.

But Event Horizon is one of my all time favorite movies, even with its occasionally dodgy script writing, and captains chair that forces Lawrence Fishburne to sit like a naughty child.

Old 04 April 2013   #59
DoubleSupercool, I saw it, incredible! It's definitely the camera making this new look. SKyfall also looked good in terms of lighting and range.

Originally Posted by Pyke: But Event Horizon is one of my all time favorite movies, even with its occasionally dodgy script writing, and captains chair that forces Lawrence Fishburne to sit like a naughty child.

Nice find, thanks, something to watch before Oblivion.

Old 04 April 2013   #60
Rich Hall

Strong language.
A crisis of consonants.
I had a wee giggle at this.

Time: 3:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt2qt0sATz8

Last edited by Kanga : 04 April 2013 at 09:34 AM.

Thread Closed share thread