Oblivion - Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jZw5Wa8WKFo

New trailer!
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01 January 2013   #32
TV spot Roberto, TV spot...not trailer. Geez you got me all excited. haha, jk. Yeah, looks pretty awesome.

Old 01 January 2013   #33
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jZw5Wa8WKFo

New trailer!

Nice! Looking forward to seeing this.

Old 02 February 2013   #34
New international trailer from Universal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A27xPYvqERw

Once I get enough refs, I swear I'm going to model that gorgeous flying pod thingy

- Jesus

Old 03 March 2013   #35
No spoilers in this (pretty well spoiled by now), a cool featurette on the "sky loft" and how they did a lot of the shots in-camera. Pretty ingenious, and does get you a lot of look without a lot of post-pain.

http://go.ign.com/104WGSw

Spoiled or not I will definitely be seeing this just to gawk at it for a spell.

Old 03 March 2013   #36
That's awesome. I doubt it had everything to do with aesthetic preference for one technique over another, though. If there's a significant number of scenes shot at that location, it was probably much cheaper to use the FP system. But it's a win-win, since they didn't have to pull a lot of difficult mattes and the scenes don't have that lighting/bg disconnect that most blue-screen work has.

Old 03 March 2013   #37
Yeah I'm sure the cost of the projection system and the footage shoot was still an order of magnitude less than dealing with horrendous comps involving all those surfaces, and probably a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of a large set like that.

Plus you can throw the camera around and do as much as you want without lifting a post-finger until you cross a certain angle. Very smart.

Old 03 March 2013   #38
Originally Posted by hypercube: No spoilers in this (pretty well spoiled by now), a cool featurette on the "sky loft" and how they did a lot of the shots in-camera. Pretty ingenious, and does get you a lot of look without a lot of post-pain.

http://go.ign.com/104WGSw

Spoiled or not I will definitely be seeing this just to gawk at it for a spell.

That is simply one of the coolest movie techniques I've ever seen. I want to see a theme park attraction set up like this.

Old 03 March 2013   #39
Why, oh why do trailers have to show the entire plot? No more trailers for me....

Old 03 March 2013   #40
Anyone else done that sunset bike ride down the volcano? Most amazing sunrise.

Old 03 March 2013   #41
Originally Posted by SciFibrow: That is simply one of the coolest movie techniques I've ever seen. I want to see a theme park attraction set up like this.

There's a few already, aside from the usual ride films and hemisphere projections, like Soarin Over California at Disneyland, or the Simpsons at Universal (took over for Back To The Future), the more recent King Kong 3D and Transformers 3D also use more open, huge screens to do stuff like that, and incorporate 3D. The upcoming Avatar ride at DisneyWorld will be something like a 3D version of Soarin', too.

Old 03 March 2013   #42
Just about cut their VFX shotload in half, from over 1500 down to about 800.

DP and director really like getting genuine interactive light w/o 'movie lighting' the thing ... look at the scenes with the guy and chick up close in TRON ... their own costumes are actually doing ALL of the lighting on their faces.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 03 March 2013   #43
Originally Posted by Artbot: That's awesome. I doubt it had everything to do with aesthetic preference for one technique over another, though. If there's a significant number of scenes shot at that location, it was probably much cheaper to use the FP system.

Even the featurette has several shots that had to use CG sky extensions because of the flying camera moves. In all those cases the cost gains were nullified.

I think they decided to go with the projection because of the more natural lighting on the actors/set and the lack of blue spill, instead.

Old 03 March 2013   #44
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Even the featurette has several shots that had to use CG sky extensions because of the flying camera moves. In all those cases the cost gains were nullified.

How is it nullified? They still had to do the flyby shots AND these shots. They were able to accomplish all these other shots in a different way.

And yeah, just like the efforts taken building Flynn's apartment or the bar in Tron Legacy, and having the suits actually light up, sure a lot of the rest of it is tweaked or even replaced, but it's all still there for the shots it is in.

Look forward to the more in-depth article(s), trevanian.

Old 04 April 2013   #45
Originally Posted by musashidan: Why, oh why do trailers have to show the entire plot? No more trailers for me....

Yes it doesn't leave much to the imagination. I still look forward to seeing it, I think we get it in Dublin next weekend?

Update; Weekend after next for Oblivion released in Ireland.

Last edited by Dillster : 04 April 2013 at 04:49 PM.

Thread Closed share thread