frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Love the trailer and I think it's a good edit.

Don't understand what people here are saying about "reveals too much of the plot"

If some people here think the trailer has spoiled the plot I'd like to hear what it is because I don't think they left enough to write an entire story just based on the trailer.

The reveal that humans are still on the surface is a big one, a lot of other things can be inferred.

They talk about being done soon, I think what remains on the surface will be wiped out. He is shown being held behind glass with his female co-worker on the other side. He is also flying his ship against the drones.

Simplest explanation, he has been working for the aliens all along, perhaps the war wasn't that long ago, or they had him in suspended animation like the pods he found, which would be why the girl knows him. The girl and home base station, and all the drones, are theirs, and there is some odd reason for them doing all this. The "monsters" he was shooting at are the human resistance fighters.

There are still details missing, but that's my guess. Still want to see it very much regardless.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #17
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
The reveal that humans are still on the surface is a big one, a lot of other things can be inferred.

They talk about being done soon, I think what remains on the surface will be wiped out. He is shown being held behind glass with his female co-worker on the other side. He is also flying his ship against the drones.

Simplest explanation, he has been working for the aliens all along, perhaps the war wasn't that long ago, or they had him in suspended animation like the pods he found, which would be why the girl knows him. The girl and home base station, and all the drones, are theirs, and there is some odd reason for them doing all this. The "monsters" he was shooting at are the human resistance fighters.

There are still details missing, but that's my guess. Still want to see it very much regardless.

Well that's the point really... you have to GUESS.. so the trailer didn't exactly reveal everything.
For example, another possible interpretation is... "The aliens actually won. The white-shiny humans are really brainwashed humans now sent as a kind of 'minority-race cleanup crew' along with the drones to clean out the Earth.".

That's why "Earth is a Memory Worth Fighting For" and that would explain the title being Oblivion in that the humans who are part of the white-shiny group are really living in "Oblivion" to what really happened.

See? Too many ways to go.. So it's just "Story Potential" in the trailer.. not spoilers....

P.S.: Agreed that the reveal of Earth being inhabited is a large one. You need to do one though in a 2 minute trailer in my opinion. I think they chose the reveal that would best allow them to show "rising stakes" and allow Morgan Freeman to appear in the trailer without looking like a straggler or homeless hobo.

They also cannot leave it as just "Tom Cruise in a ruin fighting and shooting leaping monsters"... That level scale is too small.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 12-10-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #18
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
For example, another possible interpretation is... "The aliens actually won. The white-shiny humans are really brainwashed humans now sent as a kind of 'minority-race cleanup crew' along with the drones to clean out the Earth.".

That's why "Earth is a Memory Worth Fighting For" and that would explain the title being Oblivion in that the humans who are part of the white-shiny group are really living in "Oblivion" to what really happened.

That's basically what I was trying to describe, as being the situation. I think it has a fair chance of being true. And it was enough in the trailer to guess, even though it was all just random and "teasing", there were too many clues.

I will be curious to see what is right in the end, or if they tip their hand the rest of the way in the subsequent trailers and TV spots where they always show more and more and more until the release.

Funny thing is things like the first amazing teaser for Prometheus, once you see the movie, or knowing the plot beforehand, literally everything is shown in it, third act, finale, etc. it's just whether you know what's connecting those things together enough to guess it. Even just knowing the two ships collided was kind of too much.

No matter what, when a trailer shows certain scenes, I usually can't let myself forget them when watching the movie later, in a "this scene from the trailer hasn't happened yet, so it must be this about to happen" sort of way. Maybe I need to drink or smoke out more to have a less reliable memory.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
That's basically what I was trying to describe, as being the situation. I think it has a fair chance of being true. And it was enough in the trailer to guess, even though it was all just random and "teasing", there were too many clues.

I will be curious to see what is right in the end, or if they tip their hand the rest of the way in the subsequent trailers and TV spots where they always show more and more and more until the release.

Funny thing is things like the first amazing teaser for Prometheus, once you see the movie, or knowing the plot beforehand, literally everything is shown in it, third act, finale, etc. it's just whether you know what's connecting those things together enough to guess it. Even just knowing the two ships collided was kind of too much.

No matter what, when a trailer shows certain scenes, I usually can't let myself forget them when watching the movie later, in a "this scene from the trailer hasn't happened yet, so it must be this about to happen" sort of way. Maybe I need to drink or smoke out more to have a less reliable memory.

I do think it takes a certain type of viewer to sort of ... do what we do which is to make conjecture and kind of think of what would happen based only on the trailer.

A couple of things to note are that Oblivion's trailer is 2 minutes and 30 seconds. At that length you need quite a bit of reveals (otherwise it becomes about nothing). I think in some ways, other than the length, they were sort of painted in a corner. If you make it seem like there's no people on Earth, then it becomes a question of "What's Tom Cruise doing on that planet to begin with? What is this? A graphics demo?"

I do guess (that's the keyword here) almost all the reveals they chose actually occur in the first act. The clever thing in this trailer is you are not told more about the war, the aliens that attacked the Earth, the pretense of that conflict... So there's a lot more that can be told.

So in that sense, you are left, sort of, with that statement the Masked Magician says in "Secrets of Magic Revealed". That the real magic is not in the secret behind the trick but how the magician pulls off the trick. It's in his dexterity that you see the magic.

And to be fair, I'm not sure Oblivion even falls in that category.. I'm not sure it's THAT predictable.
Like you said.. Fair chance what you and I were guessing at could be true.

But see? Now you're saying you look forward to seeing if you got it right...
That means the promo is Mission Accomplished.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
Bjur
Veteran

portfolio
Alexander Buhr
Student
Hannover, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
...Definitely seeing this in theatres. I hope it does not turn out disappointing like Prometheus.

Me too! Bad omen or not, they filmed the same Iceland waterfall like the Prometheus crew, just from a slight different angle (trailer at 1:26 min)..

Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #21
karthikarctic
Frequenter

portfolio
Karthik Rajendran
Visual Designer
India

Hey, what is Tom Cruise doing in a WALL-E type flick?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #22
SciFibrow
X-38 Sundagger

portfolio
Peter Blight
Concept Artist
Global freelancer
Melbourne, Australia

This looks spot on.

I want the house and the flyer that comes with it.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #23
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Aw wauw!
Love the way the ship takes off with the flip. Looks like really tasteful scifi, casting looks very nice, I am there.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
CB_3D
Lord of the posts

C Ferreira
Architecture, Engine, Germany

Hm, to me it pretty much seems to be the same twist as in Aeon Flux. They´re clones of previous people, and the girl has retained some memories of her original who was Cruise´s lifepartner. It´s even filmed in a similar way as the AF flashbacks.

That´s just my guess, and I might be wrong. I also like the theory that he actually works for the aliens and unknowingly helps them to terra-form earth for their needs.

But yeah, I like the designs and look of the movie.

BTW: Anyone notice that Oblivion, After Earth and Elysium all feature exactly the same basic premise? Reminds me of the volcano and asteroid movie flood of the nineties.

Last edited by CB_3D : 12-11-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #25
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Director Joseph Kosinski sits down with us to break down the first trailer for his science fiction action film starring Tom Cruise.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/12/2...-rewind-theater
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #26
SciFibrow
X-38 Sundagger

portfolio
Peter Blight
Concept Artist
Global freelancer
Melbourne, Australia

I dig those drones.

Wish it came out here in April too...

Old 12-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #27
vlad74
Expert
portfolio
Vladimir Venkov
freelancer
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFreeze
+1
On top of that by now I feel desensitized to all these post-apocalyptic movies, too many of them over the past decade. From what I see in the trailer it seems like another Hollywood formula regurgitation. That, and something about Tom Cruise prevents me from suspending my disbelief in his past few movies.

Definitely will see it for the VFX, but likely on Bluray.

Quoted for agreement.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #28
DanielWray
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Wray
Bsc Computer Animation & Digital SFX
United Kingdom

Saw the title thread, thought of Oblivion (the PC game) and got excited. I am not very excited now, although the special effects do look very, very nice.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #29
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWray
Saw the title thread, thought of Oblivion (the PC game) and got excited. I am not very excited now, although the special effects do look very, very nice.

If you're looking for an Elder Scrolls Oblivion film-fix you can go see "The Hobbit"...

Old 12-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #30
refract
Expert

portfolio
John John
Character modeling, Lighting, Compositing
Work
Los Angeles, United States

Send a message via ICQ to refract Send a message via AIM to refract Send a message via MSN to refract Send a message via Yahoo to refract
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
Director Joseph Kosinski sits down with us to break down the first trailer for his science fiction action film starring Tom Cruise.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/12/2...-rewind-theater

I like the breakdown,. thanks. Keep it up.

Thread Closed share thread