Oblivion - Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Oblivion - Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=dQ3Mt9yiz6k
it looks pretty interesting...
I think they revealed too much of the story though, but that's just me...

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Does seem like they show an awful lot of what are plot points..will have to see if Kosinski has made another beautiful looking movie that leaves you frustrated with the writing.

Absolutely in love with the production design and visual quality though.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
I gotta say,.. looks really cool.

Old 12 December 2012   #4
I agree. I love the production design, makes me interested on that alone. Who is doing the FX?

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Looks pretty interesting.
Afaik, 3rd floor are doing the previz and DD the heavylifting.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
The trailers are so long and they give away so much that I just lose interest to even see it in theaters.

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: The trailers are so long and they give away so much that I just lose interest to even see it in theaters.

+1
On top of that by now I feel desensitized to all these post-apocalyptic movies, too many of them over the past decade. From what I see in the trailer it seems like another Hollywood formula regurgitation. That, and something about Tom Cruise prevents me from suspending my disbelief in his past few movies.

Definitely will see it for the VFX, but likely on Bluray.

Old 12 December 2012   #8
I like what I seen. The trailer length didn't spoil it for me as it still left me curious.

Old 12 December 2012   #9
The overall look is fantastic, but Tom Cruise for this role is questionable.

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Looks cool and with DD doing the VFX, there's no doubt that the visuals will look amazing. I really like the style of the designs and it has some interesting environments. The plot on the other hand from what I saw on the trailer, has some good elements but has the whole post-apocalyptic dystopian society literally written all over it that I've seen so many times now, however with this setting, there might be room for plot twists that will make this fresh.

From the trailer, I found Tom Cruise to be very similar to other roles he has played in the past such as Ethan Hunt but I don't dislike him either. Plus this has a very Minority Report tone to it, wouldn't want it to be compared to it too much and lets just hope it doesn't go War of the Worlds.

That said, looks to be a film to look forward to and to see some amazing visuals.

Old 12 December 2012   #11
Oblivion definitely looks visually striking! And Tom Cruise is a pretty good actor.

I hope it turns out to be a good film, with a good story most importantly.

Tron Legacy was visually striking too. But plot-wise? It was a bit "meh" in that department in my opinion...

Old 12 December 2012   #12
This came out of nowhere for me. Definitely seeing this in theatres. I hope it does not turn out disappointing like Prometheus.

Old 12 December 2012   #13
It's rare to see something that looks to be unique and unexpected. I'm hooked. Now I don't want to see another trailer until I watch it in theater.

Old 12 December 2012   #14
Love the trailer and I think it's a good edit.

Don't understand what people here are saying about "reveals too much of the plot"

What I got from the trailer is:

1) There was a war 60 years before that wiped out half the planet.
2) Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) is a drone repairman (armed with a laser rifle?) who seems overly interested in the past. (But what the drones are for is not revealed).
3) Harper finds out that unlike what he's been told Earth is in fact still inhabited. (But how????)
4) Harper seems to have memories about civilization that go beyond what seems like initial fascination. (But why????)
5) Humans being sent in pods to Earth (WTF????)

So much of the items above are shown but not connected.... Which is why the trailer in the end features dialogue along the lines of "Do you really want to know what happened?" Which is to say: "That's not the entire plot".

If some people here think the trailer has spoiled the plot I'd like to hear what it is because I don't think they left enough to write an entire story just based on the trailer.

I will though, use some conjecture and say:

A) They showed "story potential" but not the plot (ie "the plan") since they disconnected everything and left only little bits here and there.

B) The trailer is actually out-of-sequence and probably shows a very different event sequence to what will alctually be in the final film.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 12 December 2012 at 12:38 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #15
Visually, it looks great! Hopefully, the story is equally good.

Thread Closed share thread