Announcement Trailer for Star Trek: Into Darkness

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12 December 2012   #46
I lean towards #2 scenario as well.

Didnt they say it was an enemy from within--sounds more like a fellow starfleet person. Weller seems more logical for GM than Khan.
 
Old 12 December 2012   #47
Karl Urban supposedly slipped up and told someone that Cumberbatch was doing a great Gary Mitchell in the movie, but I wonder if that was more subterfuge.

I think that would make a much more interesting take for the reboot than remaking one of the best Trek movies ever, even if this does push it far more into sci-fi/magic than the others have.
 
Old 12 December 2012   #48
I don't give a damn about the details, I'll watch it because of Cumberbatch who is a great actor, and because of the ILM effects which never disappoint. If the story is any good on top of it, that's all the better.
__________________
Tamas Varga
 
Old 12 December 2012   #49
Alice Eve’s Character + 7 More Star Trek Into Darkness Spoilers Revealed At Bad Robot Visit
__________________
LW FREE MODELS:FOR REAL Home Anatomy Thread
FXWARS
:Daily Sketch Forum:HCR Modeling
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

 
Old 12 December 2012   #50
I liked the first one allot... Hope the second one turns out as good!
 
Old 12 December 2012   #51
After watching the trailer, I want to go see it just for the water sims
Would love to see some ILM breakdowns on this...
__________________
"For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world but loses his own soul?"

- Jesus
 
Old 12 December 2012   #52
I was just having a conversation via FB with Steven Stahlberg about this. He was complaining about how this whole reboot by JJ just isn't Star Trek at all, because it does not contain the most essential elements of the original vision of Star Trek, which is an optimistic look at our future, and how humanity learns about love, peace, and harmony in its interaction with alien species, or the excitement of new discoveries at the edge of the unknown. The reboot is basically just another high-octane action flick, and it could have been called by another name instead of Star Trek.
 
Old 12 December 2012   #53
Many people watch day in - day out: explosions, violence, killing.
Almost all the video games today, even for children, are all about death and destruction again.
Then you can't believe why someone would take real gun and start shooting?
It's in our nature to mimic what we see, and learn based on all the programming you are getting in daily doses from TV and film and games which is violence, mistrust, killing, destruction.
That is NOT Star Trek.
(And quit quoting Wrath of Khan, because that's the one which Gene made compromise about, and had nothing to do with, because First ST film was not that big box office.)

ST should be about SOMETHING. About HOW we should build society without wars and killing and greed. World without hunger. Without TERROR over anyone.
If you say it's always been like that, then go and live in the cave.
There are so many serious themes to be examined by film makers.
Very few of them do so. What is the use of brilliant SFX when the plot is flat, when the script is shallow and doesn't say anything about anything. To me it's an insult to hundreds of artists who put very long hours, sweat and tears. Yes, maybe they make something cool, but wouldn't you like to be part of something more important then that. To make some change to better?
ST is about what makes us human? How can we better ourselves.
It's trying to examine all these questions and maybe try to give some answers too.
Relationship and reactions with Aliens are just example of what your reaction is to anything alien, different from you.
ST need to make you think, not just feel the adrenaline from explosions and buildings crashing down.
ST should be darker with more killing and explosions? Really?
Still not enough FEAR or Circus for the masses?


Al

Originally Posted by Lunatique: I was just having a conversation via FB with Steven Stahlberg about this. He was complaining about how this whole reboot by JJ just isn't Star Trek at all, because it does not contain the most essential elements of the original vision of Star Trek, which is an optimistic look at our future, and how humanity learns about love, peace, and harmony in its interaction with alien species, or the excitement of new discoveries at the edge of the unknown. The reboot is basically just another high-octane action flick, and it could have been called by another name instead of Star Trek.
__________________
"No Bucks, NO Buck Rogers!"

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

 
Old 12 December 2012   #54
Originally Posted by Lunatique: I was just having a conversation via FB with Steven Stahlberg about this. He was complaining about how this whole reboot by JJ just isn't Star Trek at all, because it does not contain the most essential elements of the original vision of Star Trek, which is an optimistic look at our future, and how humanity learns about love, peace, and harmony in its interaction with alien species, or the excitement of new discoveries at the edge of the unknown. The reboot is basically just another high-octane action flick, and it could have been called by another name instead of Star Trek.


sorry, but i cant read this anymore. where were all these people as voyager ruined the franchise and ent buried it? ah, yes, i know, next season all will be better. mmhh, ok, but the next season will for sure. same for the movies, next one will be better. ok, but nemesis must be awesome after this... .

the funny thing is, how many really like st the motion picture (wich has all the things you mentioned)? its my favourite after undiscovered country and what i hear is that most people dont like it because it has no action, nothing happens. and what is the favourite of this people? right, wrath, with all the action and dead people. the same people complaining about the last one. man, st fans are a strange group.

lets hope the success will also be with this movie so we will have a new tv show in the next years.
 
Old 12 December 2012   #55
Originally Posted by Als: Many people watch day in - day out: explosions, violence, killing.
Almost all the video games today, even for children, are all about death and destruction again.
Then you can't believe why someone would take real gun and start shooting?
It's in our nature to mimic what we see, and learn based on all the programming you are getting in daily doses from TV and film and games which is violence, mistrust, killing, destruction.
That is NOT Star Trek.
(And quit quoting Wrath of Khan, because that's the one which Gene made compromise about, and had nothing to do with, because First ST film was not that big box office.)

ST should be about SOMETHING. About HOW we should build society without wars and killing and greed. World without hunger. Without TERROR over anyone.
If you say it's always been like that, then go and live in the cave.
There are so many serious themes to be examined by film makers.
Very few of them do so. What is the use of brilliant SFX when the plot is flat, when the script is shallow and doesn't say anything about anything. To me it's an insult to hundreds of artists who put very long hours, sweat and tears. Yes, maybe they make something cool, but wouldn't you like to be part of something more important then that. To make some change to better?
ST is about what makes us human? How can we better ourselves.
It's trying to examine all these questions and maybe try to give some answers too.
Relationship and reactions with Aliens are just example of what your reaction is to anything alien, different from you.
ST need to make you think, not just feel the adrenaline from explosions and buildings crashing down.
ST should be darker with more killing and explosions? Really?
Still not enough FEAR or Circus for the masses?


Al


the problem is that tng and also ds9 for some points, awnsered all these questions (classic is funny tv show if you look at it now, nothing more, especially not a show in which questions about humanity and its path were discussed). st after tng is like making a monster movie after alien. what we need is something like the animes did after blade runner with cyberpunk theme. but i dont see something like this coming, especially not for star trek. abrams was able to bring st to the 21 century, from a visually standpoint (and pls dont start that lensflare discussion) thats a good start.
 
Old 12 December 2012   #56
Roddenberry's Star Trek with Jeffrey Hunter was kind of boring. I am glad they did a second pilot although they did make the women characters more subordinate and you notice that aspect (like when something dangerous happens Spock goes to shield Uhura).

I liked the OS movies but they did dumb it down for general consumption and break up aspects of the show over the 6 films.

The Motion Picture doesnt work for me and its unfortunate because they had the moon budget wise-and the cast was young enough to do any kind of film.

The Abrams version is just a dumber version of the movies--using Star Wars as the character model(the guy playing Kirk said he modeled his performance on Han Solo--that's like playing Sherlock Holmes and using Tarzan as the personality reference).

I didnt buy Roddenberry's optimistic version of the future but didnt mind the fantasy world he created and the philosophical ideas--though it felt worn out after he died.
One of the OS writers turned down working on NG because he felt there was no room for drama-- the characters were too nice to each other and not realistic human beings.

Deep Space Nine got around that personality problem by making most of the characters aliens or "damaged" starfleet people. Voyager started on the same foot but then all the rebel members of the crew fell into line.

And when the NG went into movies Picard turned into a different character completely--the angry bald guy.
 
Old 12 December 2012   #57
Originally Posted by Kzin: sorry, but i cant read this anymore. where were all these people as voyager ruined the franchise and ent buried it? ah, yes, i know, next season all will be better. mmhh, ok, but the next season will for sure. same for the movies, next one will be better. ok, but nemesis must be awesome after this... .

the funny thing is, how many really like st the motion picture (wich has all the things you mentioned)? its my favourite after undiscovered country and what i hear is that most people dont like it because it has no action, nothing happens. and what is the favourite of this people? right, wrath, with all the action and dead people. the same people complaining about the last one. man, st fans are a strange group.


KHAN has the 'dead people' but it also has them in context of telling a good character-driven story. For those who say it lacks essence of TREK, all you have to see is the inclusion of Genesis (a fairly late development scriptwise), which gives it a 'sense of wonder/trekness' that offsets the more conventional aspects a bit. Some of the best eps are action stuff like DOOMSDAY MACHINE and BALANCE OF TERROR, and they are also very character driven (plus DOOMSDAY has an amazing kickass score.)

KHAN is my fave (along with the first movie and the fifth - yeah, I think Shatner has a real director's eye and got the main 3 characters done so very right I didn't care how they messed over the rest of them, even if he was not well served in the FX dept, and the story is the most TV feel of them all, even with a pre title teaser) because it IS trek like.

VOYAGER and Lil ENTERPRISE sucked from what I even bothered trying to watch, but to tell the truth I was never that impressed with NextGen either, because they spent too much time in the bar instead of in that final frontier. DS9 was wonderful (except for the unnecessary alien stuff) because it was like TOS all over again with more weight, but it was a one-off for ModernTrek, because everything else just didn't work for me.

The Abrams films aren't even pastiche, because he doesn't even know the characters well enough to riff on them. Even his writer-cum-fans who can win trivia contests may know a lot of facts, but they don't get the context ... NOT AT ALL.

EDIT ADDON: I suppose I should mention that based on the Abrams comment about fans who don't like that his starship is capable of pulling submarine duty should be happy with their reruns ... that I think Abrams should go screw himself, along with the taun-taun he clearly wishes he had ridden in on. (that is my official statement that is going on all boards where I post, and is probably going to be my final word on the new movie.)
__________________
"achievement is its own reward -- pride obscures it."

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Last edited by trevanian : 12 December 2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: supplemental - tie into actual thread title
 
Old 12 December 2012   #58
Originally Posted by Kzin: the problem is that tng and also ds9 for some points, awnsered all these questions


LOL
They answered "all these" questions... Oh, thank you for that wisdom there.
No point of writing anymore SF, with all the questions answered...
I will also call all the philosophy universities, and they will have to close now.


Als
__________________
"No Bucks, NO Buck Rogers!"

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

 
Old 12 December 2012   #59
Originally Posted by Kzin: sorry, but i cant read this anymore. where were all these people as voyager ruined the franchise and ent buried it?
lets hope the success will also be with this movie so we will have a new tv show in the next years.


Voyager ruined the frachise? I have no idea what are you on about.
But let's keep the subject on a trailer, not whole of ST.
Is commercial success the merit of quality? Really? Should we just stop making films and make only hardcore ?
Series like this? No, thanks. Why would I watch that? For chasing villains, there is James Bond, or Sherlock Holmes. For chasing weird villains who speak English and breath heavy into microphone, there is a new Batman (including destruction and explosions).

Originally Posted by Kzin: and what is the favourite of this people? right, wrath, with all the action and dead people. the same people complaining about the last one. man, st fans are a strange group


This people? Huh, what do you mean by This people? ST fans? Yes, some of us are strange. But isn't it like that with ANY group of people.
The ST doesn't need to be boring, or not to have any action in it. But it does have to be about something.
And remember BLADE RUNNER was a commercial flop. Now it's a classic. One of the most important films made.


Al
__________________
"No Bucks, NO Buck Rogers!"

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!


Last edited by Als : 12 December 2012 at 03:18 AM.
 
Old 12 December 2012   #60
als,
people like you are the one i am talking about. i had alot of discussion on this topic in the last 10 years and my conclusion is that st will never be the same for you like it was with tng (tv show of course). you are not able to accept that st has to evolve, has to change to get more people back into cinemas. movies changed alot over the last 30 years and today its easier to get people in with simple stories and alot of action. you have to accept this. sure, you can cry that all the people out there dont get what st is, but this will not change how people decide to watch a movie.

this has nothing todo if i like the direction everything is going, but the point is you cant change peoples mind on this topic. but i know one for sure, alot of people going into cinemas to watch a st movie now which never watched a classic st movie in cinemas, because of the nerd factor.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.