Announcement Trailer for Star Trek: Into Darkness

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #31
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Has it been confirmed that "Into Darkness" is based on Wrath of Khan?

Is that why the bad guy is able to leap like George Reeves in Superman and swing an assault cannon like a club?

Of course, that could be Khan.. but there are many superhuman characters these days that it's not a foregone conclusion. :P

If it isn't literally Khan, than it may be loosely based on his character. There already appears to be one homage to that film in the Japanese teaser

Old 12 December 2012   #32
It look very good to me excluding all the trailer editor crap. The footage is neat and what I see look like a lot of fun. I love the shot of Cumberbatch in starfleet uniform.

As for the japanese trailer, dont forget the japaneses know nothing about Star Trek. They included a little emotional moment to make the trailer a bit more substential. Not your typical american sci-fi fare. Japaneses love tragedy, drama and tears however grotesque it is. They embrace schmaltz shamelessly.

Old 12 December 2012   #33
Originally Posted by JoelOtron: If it isn't literally Khan, than it may be loosely based on his character. There already appears to be one homage to that film in the Japanese teaser

Wrath of Khan was one of my favorites when I was a young boy. He always seemed like an "Evil Kirk" or something and the Reliant was a great adversary for the Enterprise.

Also about the "revenge" thing.. Not saying that's really bad... I mean.. Revenge is a valid character motive. It's just that it might be nice to have something a little extra.

Obviously the simpler something is, the easier it is to package and play out. But also wanted to point out that Revenge was the main driver already in a couple of recent pictures.

I guess you can argue that films like Skyfall borrowed heavily from the original Wrath of Khan in that an elaborate scheme is setup around just simple revenge.

Old 12 December 2012   #34
What's with that repetitive orchestral apocalyptic boom that accompanies every trailer nowadays?

And the trailer was very good too. Cumberbatch seems to be the man of the moment so I hope this all falls into place. Quite excited so far.

Old 12 December 2012   #35
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Has it been confirmed that "Into Darkness" is based on Wrath of Khan?

JJ is just recycling entire franchise with new look and actors.
The third one will be The Search for Spock but with some different title.

Last edited by LuckyBug : 12 December 2012 at 11:56 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #36
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: A few things I noted:

1) Use of audio cues, pacing, and even font similar to Transformers trailers.

2) Bane-like villain who wants to "tear down your lie of peace so I can have my revenge"

3) Revenge? That's it? TDKR = Revenge, Skyfall = Revenge...

And has the same villain speaking while the hero visually struggles like Iron Man.

Copy paste a working receipt.

Old 12 December 2012   #37
Quote: JJ is just recycling entire franchise with new look and actors.

First movie was a splendid readaptation. Way more entertaining than most of the older movies and a good deal more subtile. I believe we may have an excellent second opus and even if they take an existing storyline so much the better.

Can't wait to see Leonard Nimoy again!

Old 12 December 2012   #38
The original movies' selling point was the charm of the actors. They didnt have the budgets to put into fx(after the first). And the actors were getting too old for stunts anyway.
Now they solved that by using cheaper younger actors.
But they have the disadvantage of weak writers.

Last edited by kelgy : 12 December 2012 at 03:40 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #39
Originally Posted by earwax69:

First movie was a splendid readaptation. Way more entertaining than most of the older movies and a good deal more subtile. I believe we may have an excellent second opus and even if they take an existing storyline so much the better.

Can't wait to see Leonard Nimoy again!

Subtle? It was just so subtle how they masked the ludicrous art direction with lens flares, both real and CG. It was equally subtle how they performed character assassination on these folks by taking bits from the original wholly out of context, like the K/S fight from THIS SIDE OF PARADISE. And writers not even knowing enough or caring enough to realize Bones is a nickname relating to 'sawbones' ... subtle enough to cater to moron-science folks by building the Enterprise on the ground, by having a water recycling system that 'chops' up the water with blades and an engine room that would be more at home on TITANIC than a starship ...

Too subtle for me, by far. I'll settle for 2001.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 12 December 2012   #40
I think it looks awesome. There are some stunning and original sequences in there.

That is indeed a lovely fluid sim.

Old 12 December 2012   #41
Quote: But they have the disadvantage of weak writers.

Really? I thought the first movie was ok enough in that regard. I love young Spock story, Old spock lying to Kirk is a cool touch, The whole story was not convoluted which is ok because they had to introduce the characters too. I though it was well balanced.

Quote: Too subtle for me, by far. I'll settle for 2001.

Lol!

Well, clearly I dont know as much as you about Star Trek but that give me a blank page easier to fill. The flares are only polish and I didn't disliked it in fact. I'm allergic to ugly flares, not nice flares. As for the water recycling, that was a propellor no? to move the water I think. Those are details anyway. I am not saying that this is on the level as Moon or even Looper but I think it's great entertainment and we dont need to leave our brains at the theater entrance.

Old 12 December 2012   #42
Kurtzman and Orci said they had always wanted to make quirky romantic comedy art house films and I believe it.

First noticed their special touch in Legend of Zorro and they havent changed since. If there is value in the script its probably coming from Abrams or some janitor who passed by the room they were working in, if not ideas taken from the old series itself.

Old 12 December 2012   #43
I am posting this for future reference.
This observatons are based on what I guess will be the main storyline based on the trailers.
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

Here is my preditions for the Star Trek Fans...
This all speculation by me, but I think I am close to right.

This movie will be a Remake of the original series episode Space Seed, but in the new timeline.
In this new timeline instead of Kirk finding the SS Botany Bay it is found instead by the Federation Inteligence Organization AKA Section 31 (AKA the NASTY side of the Federation) years earlier.
At least one augment is "recruited" by them and used as a human Weapon of Mass destruction for the Federation.
But this "Augment" IS NOT Khan, (Khan I bet Khan will be played on the film by Peter Weller)

NO Cumberland is playin his HIS SON. (The blond man in WOK)
These observatons are based on what I guess will be the main storyline based on the trailers.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 12 December 2012 at 03:33 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #44
Originally Posted by earwax69:

First movie was a splendid readaptation.

More like a flashy celebration of mediocrity.

Old 12 December 2012   #45
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: I am posting this for future reference.
This observatons are based on what I guess will be the main storyline based on the trailers.

Good guess.
Here's my pitch:
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
It depends on who the hot blond is.
1) If she is Carol Markus, then yeah- probably Khan or a Eugenic.

But I doubt it.

2) If she is Elizabeth Dehner, then we are definitely dealing with Gary Mitchel- someone who can pull starships into the ocean with his mind.

I lean toward #2.

Last edited by redbellpeppers : 12 December 2012 at 07:22 PM.

Thread Closed share thread