Announcement Trailer for Star Trek: Into Darkness

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #16
I think this will be a great film, especially if it is based upon the original series episode "Where no Man Has Gone Before." The majority of the speculation centers on that, and Cumberbatch playing Gary Mitchell. If true, then prepare for epicness. And yes, kudos to ILM, because visually that trailer was a feast for the eyes, especially those water sims!

Old 12 December 2012   #17
Starships going swimming- color me impressed.

Old 12 December 2012   #18
I dig it.

I know my Dad will want to see it.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 12 December 2012 at 09:03 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #19
Originally Posted by Artbot: Funny, this looks like the sort of rip-roaring space adventure that the Prequels should have been. Maybe JJ wouldn't be such a bad ep7 director after all, as long as Lindelhof is kept far away from the script.

Seriously, even if there is maybe too much jump-punching, it also really fits the aesthetic of the original series and to some extent the TOS-based movies..Kirk was swaggering and punchin' and sexing everything in the galaxy.

It was always described as "Wagon Train in Space", so far before Firefly or Bebop or Star Wars, it was the original Space Western.

I think this kind of energy would be great for Star Wars, but I think all 3 of those writers need to be put on break from movies for a while. I am very concerned with that trio's inability to write endings, for this movie too. But that said, they did okay under Abrams in the first movie, even if it faltered a bit. Fingers crossed.

P.S. Re: Japanese Trailer - It's so direct a reference I am wondering if JJ is punking us, and somewhere he and his flashlight sidekick are having a good laugh at the tide of internet speculation. BUT, what else could that be? If this really turns out to be a straight up Khan remake and they're "going there". I have hope they're not, though.

Old 12 December 2012   #20
They should have used War - Slipping into Darkness for that one....

Teaser looks cool. Big, epic, great effects and stuff. Yeah, not realy trek anymore, but the first one was fun. But venegance... again? Realy? Star Trek 10 was basically a bad remake of Star Trek 2. Star Trek (2009) was a remake of Star Trek 10, and now again? Well at least the villain doesn't have a freakishly big and ugly starship... I realy hoped there would be a star trek movie that is not centered around a villain, but maybe something that could be called science fiction?
But yeah, it will be fun. The new Trek is what Star Wars coud have been.

Old 12 December 2012   #21
Originally Posted by christianS:
Teaser looks cool. Big, epic, great effects and stuff. Yeah, not realy trek anymore, but the first one was fun. But venegance... again? Realy? Star Trek 10 was basically a bad remake of Star Trek 2. Star Trek (2009) was a remake of Star Trek 10, and now again? Well at least the villain doesn't have a freakishly big and ugly starship... I realy hoped there would be a star trek movie that is not centered around a villain, but maybe something that could be called science fiction?

Agreed. But every ST ep was basically Kirk overcoming A) Hostile aliens; B)Unknown entity/phenomenon; C) Rage-fueled former colleague out for vengeance. At this point, it's more about adding twists and character intrigue to the story. I agree, I'd love to see some actual sci-fi elements that are as forward-looking as TOS, but the problem really lays with current technology.

Back in the 60s, there was a lot of room for technological improvement, so they could extrapolate wildly and get away with it. But now, technological progress is very ephemeral and mostly hidden from view in the form of software, OS's, secret military stuff and such. Once you get past transporting matter and FTL drives of the show, everything else just comes down to conjuring up more mumbo-jumbo McGuffins (e.g. the red goo), at least where the tastes of the general public are concerned.

Old 12 December 2012   #22
Tech has always been a problem for Trek though, the implications of their casually-written technology are too far reaching. They only invented transporters on the original show so they wouldn't have to spend money on a shuttle landing..but transporters and matter replicators throw the tech balance way out of whack.

Could really feel it on TNG sometimes when they had to constantly have some reason for their insane levels of technology to break down or be rendered useless in order for there to be a difficult situation in an episode.

Heck that was part of why Voyager felt wholly contrived, because it was like a whole series based on knocking Trek technology down a peg so they'd have enough problems.

The only other way for there to be drama is for them to be up against aliens or magic even more crazily powerful, or for it to be down to character drama, which is really more interesting most of the time anyway. What was better, V'Ger, the Whale Ship, or Khan? Trek 5 was back to omnipotent beings who turned out not to be, directly from the series, but was boring..Trek 6 was an improvement again and that was back to interpersonal conflict.

I think Trek II was a winner on both tech and drama fronts though, even though Genesis was mostly just a macguffin, it was still a great piece of sci-fi tech invention.

The Borg were probably the best bad guys TNG came up with, and again, they had tech that was made to match/eliminate the advantage..but just enough. When Voyager started flagging and they added the Species 8675309 or whatever it was, they seemed like a crappy Borg substitute, because they were. If they do something like that for this generation of Trek it will be just as obvious.

Old 12 December 2012   #23
Originally Posted by hypercube: ...and they added the Species 8675309 or whatever it was,

I LOL'd IRL.

Old 12 December 2012   #24
Japanese trailer with extra footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHl...player_embedded
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12 December 2012   #25
Originally Posted by hypercube:
but I think all 3 of those writers need to be put on break from movies for a while.

I'd say they have a knack for taking an A movie budget, a B movie plot, and adding Z movie characters and dialogue.

Old 12 December 2012   #26
A few things I noted:

1) Use of audio cues, pacing, and even font similar to Transformers trailers.

2) Bane-like villain who wants to "tear down your lie of peace so I can have my revenge"

3) Revenge? That's it? TDKR = Revenge, Skyfall = Revenge...

Old 12 December 2012   #27
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: A few things I noted:

3) Revenge? That's it? TDKR = Revenge, Skyfall = Revenge...

Ever hear of a little old film called The Wrath of Khan?

Old 12 December 2012   #28
Originally Posted by JoelOtron: Ever hear of a little old film called The Wrath of Khan?

Has it been confirmed that "Into Darkness" is based on Wrath of Khan?

Is that why the bad guy is able to leap like George Reeves in Superman and swing an assault cannon like a club?

Of course, that could be Khan.. but there are many superhuman characters these days that it's not a foregone conclusion. :P

Old 12 December 2012   #29
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Has it been confirmed that "Into Darkness" is based on Wrath of Khan?

Not quite confirmed, but really, really strongly hinted at. They've said the villain is an original series character, and no one else fits the descriptions they've given.

Old 12 December 2012   #30
Originally Posted by Meloncov: Not quite confirmed, but really, really strongly hinted at. They've said the villain is an original series character, and no one else fits the descriptions they've given.
There are some that believe it to be Gary Mitchell with Karl Urban even letting it slip saying Cumberbatch was “awesome, he’s a great addition, and I think his Gary Mitchell is going to be exemplary!"

Thread Closed share thread