Need opinion on iPi Desktop Motion Capture

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Need opinion on iPi Desktop Motion Capture

Ok guys,
What are your experiences with the iPi Desktop Motion Capture software?

Would you recommend it?

Looking forward to your comments and ideas.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12 December 2012   #2
hi there,

I'm a digital artist in Africa, Zimbabwe. we've tested out iPisoft's app with really great results considering the price. The filters work fine and at the time we were testing it out with one xBox camera. we'll be ordering some Playstation cameras as they have higher framerates and test those out.

Being in Zimbabwe, there are obvious financial limitations, this means a Mocap system or $100 000 is pretty much a no go area for us at the moment and iPisoft looks like the future right now. I won't totally replace hand animation because you'd still need to animate head rotations and such by had as well as hand animation but it gets you 70% there!

Nqo

Old 12 December 2012   #3
I've tried it out and it actually works pretty well. The only real issue is the limited capture space, at least for using the Kinect camera.

Old 12 December 2012   #4
As long as you can cope with the small capture space (it is *small*, I don't fit into it, we have to abuse small bodied interns) it's good for previz, background stuff and also the typical stadium shot motions you need.

It's not good enough for hero creatures, but for the price it does quite well (imho).

Old 12 December 2012   #5
We thought it was lacking. In the end we got similar results with the Kinect NImate which is free of charge. We also tried out the 4 PSEye camera option ( I actually bought 6 thinking the demo would allow it ) and getting the right set up is a pain in the arse. Distributing the cameras among USB ports seems to be one headache that IPIsoft never mentions on their website.

After way too much trial and error, we found the captures were only ever good if they were kept simple. Because it is not solved in realtime, it takes up way too much time to find out things turned out bad. This is *not* on the fly.

My advice? Try the free Kinect stuff for basic captures and purchase quality captures from the various library websites. IPIsoft is way too expensive and time consuming when everything is factored in. There is more disappointment than fun too. Desktop it ain't.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Originally Posted by thedoc: I won't totally replace hand animation because you'd still need to animate head rotations and such by had as well as hand animation but it gets you 70% there!

With respect, I guess it depends on the nature of the animation but even high quality mocap rarely gets you more than 50% there in my experience so I'd be very surprised if something like this would work that well.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 12 December 2012   #7
grrinc, have you tried IPI with 2 kinects? I was referring to the 2 kinects setup.

Old 12 December 2012   #8
Originally Posted by Hun: grrinc, have you tried IPI with 2 kinects? I was referring to the 2 kinects setup.

Hi Hun. No we never bothered with the 2 Kinects for a number of reasons.....

The first was capture space - a lot of the 'hero' moves we wanted to capture would of exceeded the Kinects space limit.

The second reason is that PS3cams are needed for multiple people capture - and only when using the standard version too. This is a function we had one eye on for the future.

The third reason is that IPIsoft actually recommend using PS3cams for best results. It's a shame the demo don't let you try it out with the ability to use the maximum 6 cameras, especially as best results are apparently gained from 6, and more importantly, because I went out and bought 6 of the bloody things! ( pm me if anyone wants them cheap by the way ).

In the end we used NIMate with C4D. It is free and captured basic ambient motions quite well. It met our needs. The walk and run cycles were 'sourced and scavenged', and we purchased various hero captures that neither NIMate nor IPIsoft would ever of captured.
Just over 200 was spent and we have an excellent library we are very excited about.

Old 12 December 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread