Editorial: 25 things I would have told my 18 year old self (For artists)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Editorial: 25 things I would have told my 18 year old self (For artists)

This is a cool editorial hat applies to anyone interested in a creative career
WARNING LANGUAGE!
Quote:

I often describe this website as me yelling at myself from 18 years ago. Itís as true as it is not, I suppose ó certainly the blog is also me yelling at me from last week, or from two weeks hence. I like to yell at Past, Present and Future Me and, by proxy, yell at you, too. So, seemed a good time to write a more direct version of that, which is this list. Itís in part about writing but also about a lot of other things. And the secret is, itís just as much me yelling at myself now to stay vigilant about this stuff as it is about any teenage a@@$#@e version of myself. So, crack my skull with an ice hammer, and letís see whatís inside!
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

12 December 2012
Unfortunately, the kind of people who really need that great set of advice usually aren't mature or wise enough to benefit from most of it. That type of insight is something you have to actually have lived through in order to really have it become a part of you.

I tell my students very similar things during my workshop (which coincidentally, I've often described as the kind of knowledge and insights I'd love to teach my younger self if I could travel back in time), and I've found that usually, it's the students with a bit of life experience that really takes the lessons to heart, because they've had failures and now can fully appreciate the benefits of a better approach. They also tend to know what they want out of life with more certainty, thus have more determination.

While the type of wisdom dished out in that article is important, I also make sure my students get a ton of very practical advice on career development and concrete steps on how to learn and practice in the most effective manner possible, so they can evolve and advance forward much faster than if they continued with their bad habits and misguided mentalities.

12 December 2012
Things I would tell myself at 18

Take out a loan, buy Apple and Google stock, hold until September 2008, then sell sell sell!

Seriously though, things that happen to people are so unique that it is pointless giving them specific advice. At the end you will just say generalized cliches like the ones in the article. "Focus", "work hard", "prepare to fail a lot".. it makes sense only once you've been through it all. At 18 or at 30, same principles apply. The greatest freedom one can have is freedom to fail. And no advice will help with that.

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread