Does anybody use Gunnars glasses here?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Does anybody use Gunnars glasses here?

http://www.gunnars.com/

My coworker just picked up a pair, never heard of them until then. Apparently they reduce strain in your eyes after sitting in front of a screen all day. Does anybody use them? What do you think of them?

12 December 2012
Never heard of them before...

But I looked a bit at their description, and it seems that the lenses are coated to filter out UV light, and certain frequencies/colors that cause eyestrain.

I don't know if they work... They may.

But it could all be a stunt to sell 80 Dollar glasses manufactured for 3 Dollars 50 Cents in China...

12 December 2012
I put them on and it felt like my eyes didn't have to work as hard to focus. Almost as if they were focusing on something farther away than my screen was, but it the screen didn't seem any smaller or anything like that.

12 December 2012
Sounds like a gimmicky placebo to me.

12 December 2012
Are the lenses tinted? How could anyone wear that if you're creating stuff with colors.

Last edited by th3ta : 12 December 2012 at 09:42 PM.

12 December 2012
the lense also magnify a little bit. and they do clear lenses now for people working with color.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by th3ta: Are the lenses tinted? How could anyone where that if you're creating stuff with colors.

I suppose it wouldn't matter much if you are a coder/IT guy staring at IDE text all day...

12 December 2012
looks like those yellow glasses truckers wear. Seems like any driving/gun range glasses will do the same thing.

12 December 2012
gimmick for long hours call of duty players.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by th3ta: Are the lenses tinted? How could anyone where that if you're creating stuff with colors.

Most opticians sell glasses with the option of a coating for use with computer monitors. It only costs a few Euro more on top of the cost of the glasses. My Dad has a pair and he does photo work a lot. The very slight blue tint apparently doesn't cause problems.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by evolucian: gimmick for long hours call of duty players.

That's my opinion as well so far. Reviews on various sources seem to be divided, some claiming the yellow tint reduces the contrast with the white background when reading text, thus making it easier to focus on the text. But in that case their innovation is yellow tint? We had that forever in all kinds of glasses.

Can't really tell much because I haven't tried them but it seems that's their whole business model- "buy these cool vision-saving aviator glasses, they *might* work for you... or not".

For that reason alone I wouldn't purchase them until there is an independent study which proves their effect over a placebo.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by BrainFreeze: That's my opinion as well so far. Reviews on various sources seem to be divided, some claiming the yellow tint reduces the contrast with the white background when reading text, thus making it easier to focus on the text. But in that case their innovation is yellow tint? We had that forever in all kinds of glasses.

Exactly. Yellow does improve contrast a little (I can attest to that personally, having spent time up in the arctic circle where I wore yellow goggles to help visibility in the totally white landscape) but overall these glasses look like nothing more than a gimmick for suckers.

12 December 2012
My mother was an optician for about 30 years and I asked her about these because I'm starting to have some problems from staring at a screen all day. She said these sound like what they used to call 'piano glasses'. They were like reading glasses but made to focus around 18 - 24 inches in front of you. They were popular with musicians who needed to read sheet music that was too far away for reading glasses to be effective. She said that just like reading glasses that you buy at the drug store, they'll work well for some people and not for others. Some people are not going to have good results unless they have an optimologist test them and write a prescription specifically for them.

If you wear prescription glasses already, she recommended getting trifocals although those would require you to look through only a very specific portion of the lenses which can cause neck strain as well if done for extended periods.

12 December 2012
With branding such as the FRACTYL geometry, DIAMIX material, IONIK tint, i-FI coating and i-AMP technology, I put more faith into the power bracelet..... .... ...

Snake oil.

12 December 2012
I have/had Blue Polarized Oakley and yellow ones and in different envs they seemed to enhance everything- the blue ones really made the ocean, trees and sky pop like they were 3D or super high def- the yellow ones seemed to make things sharper or more detailed if I recall, been a while- still have blue ones tho. Love em.

Thread Closed share thread