Character rig for rotomation/bodytracking?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Character rig for rotomation/bodytracking?

Hello,

I have been looking around for a good character rig (for Maya) that I could use for for learning and practicing rotomation/bodytracking/matchamation (too many names ) - but I haven't managed to find one - so I am wondering if anyone in here can recommend a good character rig for this purpose (it doesn't have to be free)?

I have also been searching around for learning material about this topic, do you know of any good tutorials or books where I can learn some tips about rotomation?

I'd really like to learn this as I think it could be a good skill to have.

Thanks in advance, I hope someone can help me

Last edited by Zippp : 12 December 2012 at 09:11 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Anyone know?

Old 12 December 2012   #3
I see it took a while for my thread to show up since I'm a new user - so I don't think anyone really got a chance to see it - I hope someone got some advice - thanks

Old 12 December 2012   #4
What program are you using? If it's Maya I'd guess there should be something at least usable on CreativeCrash, there are lots of free rigs there. If it's Cinema 4D there's a relatively realistic rigged human female that comes with it in the content browser. If it's Max or XSI then I don't know as I don't use those currently

Cheers,
Brian

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Sorry for my delay in replying - thanks for your suggestion

I'm using Maya - I have been looking through Creativecrash, but haven't really found anything - there are a few that I thought could work, but they seemed too buggy :(

Any other suggestions would be very welcome

Old 12 December 2012   #6
You could check out 3dtotal, they have some pretty cheap downloadable videos you could look at like '3DTotal's Introduction to Rigging - Maya' and they also have a download from eat3d which shows facial rigging in Maya.

I also like to visit digital tutors as they tend to have some helpful resources you can use (some free, some small cost)

Hope that helps!!

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Are you talking about image based motion capture like in Real Steel or Pirates If anyone has more info or training on this technique I'd be interested as well.

Old 12 December 2012   #8
The Art and Technique of Match-Moving has quite a bit of good information on Matchmove Animation...

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Technique.../dp/0240812301/

I'd take the whole 'image-based mocap' thing with a grain of PR salt - this type of stuff is mainly done by hand and works best if you have additional reference cameras shooting the scene from different angles. The reference cameras are setup (on tripods) to give a wider view of the scene and better sense of depth (ie... how far away from the camera the actor is) to the scene.

It is a good skill to have. Lot's of other departments rely on this type of animation for a great many things.

Old 12 December 2012   #9
just use a generic human rig. scale it to fit the character in your plate. it might not be perfect but if you get the movement right it's good practice.

it's what i do for a living :P

you should find some rigs here that will do the job
http://animationbuffet.blogspot.ca/

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Thanks for your replies all

googboog: Yeah that's also what I have been searching for - but it seems most rigs I can find online is quite cartoonish? Like a big head or a very thin body or arms. I have looked on the site you suggest but it seems to be the same problem. I could still practice with this, but I am thinking it could be really nice with a more average/generic human. Do you happen to know of any specific rig, maybe one you have used in the past? I would be very happy to know

earlyworm: I did purchase that book actually, and I think it's great - it is suggests to use a generic human rig, but unfortunately it doesn't mention a specific one to get. For the exercises in there the "Andy rig" is used, but this is also cartoonish.

Old 12 December 2012   #11
there's one crysis nanosuit rig, but it's quite buff. armoured!

the proportions are realstic though, i don't think it will do the job.

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...is-nanosuit-rig

i found this through google
http://www.rchoetzlein.com/art/man/man.htm
haven't tested it yet so...

and this
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/m...s/c/-m2-miranda

Old 12 December 2012   #12
Thank you so much for your suggestions

Unfortunately I'm having some issues with my Maya license at the moment here at home, so I can't try out the rigs right now - but I will definitely do that as soon as I get this fixed

Thanks again.

Old 12 December 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread