First teaser clip for Del Toro's PACIFIC RIM

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  12 December 2012
One thing annoys me beyond belief: the GladOS voiceover!
Seriously, couldn't they just leave that in portal?
__________________
Portfolio
Linkedin
 
  12 December 2012
Is there something wrong with my eyes, or does the CG in the trailer look almost "stylized", rather than photoreal?

I watched the trailer in 720 HD, and found that the robots and particularly the fluids/water shots look very, very "CG rendered".

Maybe these are unfinished comps or something?

In any case, I usually like Del Torro's films, and will watch this on DVD/BluRay....
 
  12 December 2012
GLaDOS!! Still alive....
__________________
Larry King
Chessman

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.
 
  12 December 2012
Originally Posted by DePaint: I watched the trailer in 720 HD, and found that the robots and particularly the fluids/water shots look very, very "CG rendered".

Maybe these are unfinished comps or something?


It's about seven months away from release, so there's no way these shots are unfinished...

/sarcasm off
__________________
Tamas Varga
 
  12 December 2012
Thumbs up

Now we're talking. its like Del Toro finally made those loving childhood anime to life. Cant wait.
__________________
http://vimeo.com/72603827[/url]
 
  12 December 2012
First impression: It's 'Godzilla vs. Transformers'.

Maybe they should call it that.
__________________
"Even the Christmas vacation will be darkened by New Zealand scripts…"
~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 34
 
  12 December 2012
Originally Posted by oktawu: One thing annoys me beyond belief: the GladOS voiceover!
Seriously, couldn't they just leave that in portal?


That really struck me too - the voice is exactly the same. Maybe they'll entice the monsters with offers of cake.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It does look a bit silly, although that's not necessarily a bad thing at all. The Avengers was kinda silly but I really enjoyed that. I do find the whole gung ho AMERICA SAVES THE WORLD AGAIN trope rather tiresome but then, I feel inclined to trust Del Toro.

I'll probably rent it on Blu-ray and have a popcorn and beer-fueled night in with it.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
  12 December 2012
Exactly what I expected. Really big mechs fighting against really big monsters. Will definitely see this at the cinema.
THe only thing I don't really like is them using GlaDOS voice. A little bit irritating using such a well known voice from another franchise....but also might be cool for fans though
 
  12 December 2012
__________________
Larry King
Chessman

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.
 
  12 December 2012
Originally Posted by BlackArr0w: Exactly what I expected. Really big mechs fighting against really big monsters. Will definitely see this at the cinema.
THe only thing I don't really like is them using GlaDOS voice. A little bit irritating using such a well known voice from another franchise....but also might be cool for fans though


Hmm.... think its the other way round. Trailer looked like utter crap and the only nice non-generic idea was using GlaDOS voice.
 
  12 December 2012
Haha exactly what i expected to see
Originally Posted by Hooch:
__________________
http://vimeo.com/72603827[/url]
 
  12 December 2012
Originally Posted by DePaint: Is there something wrong with my eyes, or does the CG in the trailer look almost "stylized", rather than photoreal?

I watched the trailer in 720 HD, and found that the robots and particularly the fluids/water shots look very, very "CG rendered".

Maybe these are unfinished comps or something?

In any case, I usually like Del Torro's films, and will watch this on DVD/BluRay....

You're not alone. I expected better after having seen Star Trek 2's trailer last week. But it looks a fun, flashy and light movie so it's not out of style. Moreover, there's a great chance that these are WIP comps indeed.
 
  12 December 2012
I was bored while watching the trailer so I don't have high hopes for the movie. The Glados voice was lame.

Also Hollywood needs to stop using the damn Inception horn in every trailer already.
 
  12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Shletten: You're not alone. I expected better after having seen Star Trek 2's trailer last week. But it looks a fun, flashy and light movie so it's not out of style. Moreover, there's a great chance that these are WIP comps indeed.


I dunno, I felt like all the effects were fine, especially for the type of movie it is....
__________________
Personal: www.japetusproductions.com
Work:Straightface Studios

 
  12 December 2012
The visuals look amazing, ther's no doubt that it will look good. The story and execution was a disaster and it literally is for this movie. I think I would rather watch Godzilla or Ultraman than this. The idea of giant robots fighting monsters isn't really anything new, Japanese movies, Manga and Anime has portrayed this to death, even godzilla had it's robot vs monster moments. That being said it's supposed to be a tribute to those sort of concepts. I couldn't help but laugh when watching the pilots begin moving and though of power rangers right away.

Well I'll look forward to the visuals but will have to endure what seems to be a painful storyline.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.