First teaser clip for Del Toro's PACIFIC RIM

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #16
I hope this wont be like the film Monsters that was made a couple of years ago, I was severely unimpressed by that. Guillermo has made some really raw and disturbing films in the past, I'd like to see more of that.

Old 11 November 2012   #17
I think all this material, including the robot blueprints, is produced at some kind of ad agency and has absolutely nothing to do with the movie's VFX work. That is some big budget ILM stuff and I expect it to be mind blowing, which probably also means that nothing is in an advanced enough state even for rushed trailers.

So don't worry about this stuff looking... unsatisfying

Old 11 November 2012   #18
Originally Posted by Artbot
I'm going to be (more of) a dick here for just a moment.

WORDS

Always good to be recognized for one's accomplishments.

Originally Posted by hypercube: Still a strange and all too common mistake when people keep destroying the golden gate though. I think some movies do just collapse the deck, or go all out and tear the whole thing down, but still.

Supercut of GGB collapses. This part seems the most likely form of collapse.

Funny that this one is not in that supercut and seems to be the most realistic (for realz).

Old 11 November 2012   #19
Originally Posted by Dillster: I hope this wont be like the film Monsters that was made a couple of years ago, I was severely unimpressed by that. Guillermo has made some really raw and disturbing films in the past, I'd like to see more of that.

Unimpressed? That movie was literally made by one guy, a couple of actors, and an incredibly small crew. The budget and scale isn't even comparable to this.

Old 11 November 2012   #20
That was the most annoying mix of distortions i've ever seen...

Old 11 November 2012   #21
This is all just Viral advertising made by some ad agency. I doubt the real movie will be found footage or focus on on-lookers. It's most likely going to be a kick ass live action Voltron.

Old 11 November 2012   #22
Originally Posted by Dillster: I hope this wont be like the film Monsters that was made a couple of years ago, I was severely unimpressed by that. Guillermo has made some really raw and disturbing films in the past, I'd like to see more of that.

Well considering that Monsters had no budget, no known actors, mostly improvised dialogs, was written, directed and shot by the same guy (who also did the vfx), I think it was quite an achievement and actually more interesting in many ways than much of the Hollywood crap we're being served on a weekly basis...

Old 11 November 2012   #23
Yeah this did nothing for me, but I'm just not paying it any mind, still looking forward to the movie.

Now I want to go back and watch the magneto golden gate bridge sequence in X3 and see how the cables were handled. That's gotta be a mistake, surely nobody thinks the bridge cables are solid tubes like that.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 11 November 2012   #24
Originally Posted by vlad: Well considering that Monsters had no budget, no known actors, mostly improvised dialogs, was written, directed and shot by the same guy (who also did the vfx), I think it was quite an achievement and actually more interesting in many ways than much of the Hollywood crap we're being served on a weekly basis...
Oh yeah, Monsters was great.

Old 11 November 2012   #25
Originally Posted by smibrand: Unimpressed? That movie was literally made by one guy, a couple of actors, and an incredibly small crew. The budget and scale isn't even comparable to this.

I was unimpressed too and I don't give a stuff about how the film was made. However, the story about how the film was made was very impressive.

Old 11 November 2012   #26
Why would all the footage have the same exact unrealistic distortion? From the "found" footage to military footage? It just doesn't make sense.

Old 12 December 2012   #27
Looks like a preset from some cheap plugins used over and over again...

Old 12 December 2012   #28
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: Looks like a preset from some cheap plugins used over and over again...

If that's true, I wonder how they thought it wouldn't be noticed? If people can spot this on their computer monitors, it will be even more noticed on the big cinema screens.

Old 12 December 2012   #29
Originally Posted by smibrand: Unimpressed? That movie was literally made by one guy, a couple of actors, and an incredibly small crew. The budget and scale isn't even comparable to this.

I hated the film. I dont care if it was one guy or 100 guys who made it. The film was stupid and very boring. The number of people working on it has no relevence to how good it is. Terrible film and i saved a lot of my friends money who were planning on seeing it at the cinema. Must try harder is my review. I know thats harsh, but there you go

As for this teaser....it looks terrible. I mean, surely we can knock up better "TV static, camera shake etc.." FX by now. Its a piece of p**s to do well. This looks like a student film so far. Terrible.

Old 12 December 2012   #30
Wow so many haters in here! I really liked Monsters. As far as this teaser goes, just relax, it's just a viral clip to get people aware of this movie and build hype. It doesn't have to be very polished.

Thread Closed share thread