hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

First teaser clip for Del Toro's PACIFIC RIM

I have had a nerd-on for this movie for so long, I didn't think I could be any more excited for it, but I am now more excited for it.

Alternate future history -

HD: http://youtu.be/mS6kk1bTqJs?hd=1

Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Feels a bit like Cloverfield - so far.

Not sure I agree with the concept of making something that looks "viral".....
But it does look "curious"... so... OK.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
DSW
Banned
portfolio
DSW
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Feels a bit like Cloverfield - so far.

Yeah, feels almost exactly like Cloverfield - just a larger canvas.

It doers look interesting though - looking forward to seeing more.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Hmmm, jury is still out on this one. I'm all for robots vs monsters, but isn't this shaky handheld footage thing completely played out? And how did they get the creature up on the deck of an aircraft carrier? There are no cranes or helicopters big enough to do that. Also, as someone points out in the youtube comments, tv's don't even have scan lines like that any more.

Yeah, so I'm nit-picking as usual. But can't we get past these cliched tropes and move on to something new already?

Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

I saw this on its wiki page:

At first Guillermo del Toro decided not to shoot or convert the film to 3D, as the effect would not work due to the sheer size of the films robots and monsters, explaining; "I didn’t want to make the movie 3D because when you have things that big… the thing that happens naturally, you’re looking at two buildings lets say at 300 feet [away], if you move there is no parallax. They’re so big that, in 3D, you barely notice anything no matter how fast you move... To force the 3D effects for robots and monsters that are supposed to be big you are making their [perspective] miniaturized, making them human scale". But it was later announced it would be converted to 3D, with the conversion taking 40 weeks longer than most and Del Toro saying "What can I tell you? I changed my mind. I'm not running for office. I can do a Romney."

Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

As far as I know it's just the teaser with the hand-held look, the movie shouldn't be (all) like that.

Free Maya Nodes

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 11-29-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

More "leaked info" with robot blueprints.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59816

Also the movie itself will definitely not be hand-held looking..this is all just backstory from our "present day".

Old 11-29-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

first thing that came to mind was a godzilla type creature

Old 11-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
As far as I know it's just the teaser with the hand-held look, the movie shouldn't be (all) like that.

Yes, I too think it's just the marketing/promo stuff that will have this "viral" look... I was referring to being unsure about whether this "fake news/viral" style is the way to promote the film.

Personally I would have wanted to try a "straight" promo.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #10
ivanisavich
Some kind of robot

Tyson Ibele
Animator
MAKE LLC.
Toronto, Canada

Holy shit could they possibly add any more nonsensical jittery camera-malfunction effects to that? I don't think there was a single sequence over 30 frames long that wasn't interrupted with headache-inducing glitch effects.

Is this supposed to take place in the future where no cameras function properly? What an incredibly annoying teaser.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #11
Lars3D
Frequenter

portfolio
Lars Oomen
3D Technical Artist
Calgary, Canada

That ad gave me a headache

Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
Ethervoid
Veteran

portfolio
C Nexus
United Kingdom

IMHO this viral marketing type teasers/trailers were more than overused in the last years with cloverfield, battle la, etc. Also the "breaking news" tv screen shots always look cheaply done with those zooms and overdone graphics

Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #13
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

I'm going to be (more of) a dick here for just a moment. Something that caught my eye in this teaser was how the GG Bridge appears. I know it's pointless to call out filmmakers for their poor physics or lack of engineering knowledge (no matter how basic), but as someone who's been across that bridge a couple hundred times this just bugged me.

It's called a "suspension bridge" for the fact that the roadway is "suspended" from vertical cables that are hanging from a pair of cables draped over 2 or more towers. The ends of those cables (more accurately, bundles of many smaller cables) are anchored in huge bastions on the ground at either end of the bridge.

This picture (and another from the reverse angle, which implies this is a still frame and not part of a sequence) shows the center road section missing, but what it gets very wrong is the magically floating cables that are still holding up the damaged ends of the roadway. These are not rigid tubes, but bundles of cables weighing many tons. If that cables were to be broken at any part of the center span, the outward force (i.e. weight) of the remaining cable would pull those towers over in a heartbeat.

Now, I don't think this takes any great understanding of engineering. Any tv show or historical website about the bridge would cover its construction, and some simple logic would dictate how it might come apart if damaged. But hey, that's Hollywood!

Okay, wanna-be engineering nerd hat off.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
Pyramid
portfolio
Pyramid
Tokyo, Japan

We meet again, Mr. Shaky Cam

Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
I'm going to be (more of) a dick here for just a moment.

WORDS

I get the feeling aside from a few real shots of the monsters doing stuff, a lot of this was cobbled together..maybe that's why they went overly hog wild with the glitches. Were those shots of the bridge even animated?

Still a strange and all too common mistake when people keep destroying the golden gate though. I think some movies do just collapse the deck, or go all out and tear the whole thing down, but still.

BTW that AICN link has updated with some other Jeager designs from around the web. Worth a refresh.

Thread Closed share thread