Jack the Giant Slayer Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
If I had kids I would definitely take them to see this on a big screen. For me now, this looks like a good movie night in.

There is something about the accents and the line delivery tho that makes me think the acting and timing will just be...off?

Honestly, the last Bryan Singer movie I really enjoyed was Valkyrie. Perhaps this will be a return to form?

Old 02 February 2013   #17
I never saw Valkyrie and didn't know he made it. I may have to check it out. In Jack, some of the accents do seem a bit weird, but they somehow pulled off Fi Fy Fo Fum without making it sound too corny.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 02 February 2013   #18
Originally Posted by teruchan: Why oh why do the giants have to be CG?! They look like people! They could have gotten great actors to play the giants in makeup and composited them in. I agree about not only being over having so many CG menaces on screen, but definitely being over unnecessary CG menaces. I can understand a cool, designed creature, but a giant?!

From the early pictures I really thought they were doing something like Jack falling into this from modern times. He looks out of place.

In Beasts of the Southern Wild, the monsters were pigs in makeup and it worked! Not everything needs to be CG. Imagine if in Robot & Frank they decided to do the robot as all CG for no apparent reason!

I agree, the giants look quite bad CG

Old 02 February 2013   #19
I felt like I just watched some really bad grade B movie trailer... is this suppose to be an A title?

Old 02 February 2013   #20
Originally Posted by Panupat: I felt like I just watched some really bad grade B movie trailer... is this suppose to be an A title?

Have you noticed? A lot of big movies these days seem to be a step away from B grade. Were it not for the amazing VFX in some of these films they would be on SyFy.

I remember working on a SyFY film once where I thought if they replaced a couple of actors with bigger names and ramp up the VFX quality to big league level, this could fly as a theatrical release these days.

Old 02 February 2013   #21
Probably another example of a cookie cutter product demographically dissected for your consumerist viewing pleasure. Basically the marketing department dictated what the movie should be. Thats the feeling I got from this.

Artists : "We could use real people for the giants! Looks fantastic!"
Marketing department : "Our demographic wants CG...make it CG!"

Old 02 February 2013   #22
Originally Posted by teruchan: I never saw Valkyrie and didn't know he made it. I may have to check it out...

It wasn't a bad movie at all. The only odd thing for me was too may British actors playing Germans and putting on bad German accents. They rarely get that right, just like American actors rarely (with some exceptions) get Irish accents right.
They should have had more German actors in Valkyrie than they did, seeing as it was a big budget movie.

Old 02 February 2013   #23
I am extremely impressed with the way film takes the worst ideas and turn them into a really very good product. Spiderman 50 Batman 85 for example. For me the first one was transformers. Roll eyes yegods they couldn't make something out of that and yet, they made what I rekon was a great film. I also hated transformers as a kid.

I read jack n th beanthingy and though ek. Saw the trailer and am very impressed. What kind of geniuses can transform those ideas into gold. Well done production folks. I am in.

Last edited by Kanga : 06 June 2013 at 07:50 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #24
Originally Posted by teruchan: Why oh why do the giants have to be CG?! They look like people! They could have gotten great actors to play the giants in makeup and composited them in. I agree about not only being over having so many CG menaces on screen, but definitely being over unnecessary CG menaces. I can understand a cool, designed creature, but a giant?![/b]

I have honestly never seen this done well. Real giant compo I mean. I think CG was definitely the way to go. To me it feels less awkward than real comp would. Just like the scene in LotR (admittedly old now) where the fellowship were all standing together for the first time. Ugh, that took me way out of the experience.

Old 06 June 2013   #25
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve: I have honestly never seen this done well. Real giant compo I mean. I think CG was definitely the way to go. To me it feels less awkward than real comp would. Just like the scene in LotR (admittedly old now) where the fellowship were all standing together for the first time. Ugh, that took me way out of the experience.

I just saw one in season three of Game of Thrones. Blew me away it was done so well.

Old 06 June 2013   #26
i still do not understand where the $195 mil was spent. what do the cg experts here think? it might sound crazy but i think studio bosses tried to adjust their books through this movie. the movie looked like it had a budget of $70 mil.

Old 06 June 2013   #27
you look at suff like LOTR and then this...it boggles the mind.

There are movies for 40 million that look richer than this.

Looks like a nice kid movie, but 200 million? Woah!

Old 06 June 2013   #28
Originally Posted by joyceanblue: i still do not understand where the $195 mil was spent. what do the cg experts here think? it might sound crazy but i think studio bosses tried to adjust their books through this movie. the movie looked like it had a budget of $70 mil.

Unbreakable had a budget of $70 million. Half of that went directly into the pockets of Bruce Willis, Samuel Jackson and M. Night Shayamalan. More if you count stuff like their private jet expenses. These days, even some known name producers collect checks like that. It certainly isn't going into CG. If the CG budget is more than ten percent the total, I would be amazed.

Van Damme gives a great breakdown of where the money goes in his film JCVD.

Old 06 June 2013   #29
It should read "Giant-Slayer".

Old 06 June 2013   #30
Saw it this weekend. What an incredibly boring, badly edited film. And rubbish cgi for the most part as well. Four thumbs down (including my two big toes..)

Thread Closed share thread