Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
bry
Pirate Wannabe
Bruno Simoes
United Kingdom

New Blue Sky Studios' Epic trailer

Last edited by bry : 11-20-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Looks pretty good, artistically speaking.

I'm also glad that the film seems to deviate from the "talking animals" cliche.

I'll watch this when it hits DVD...

Old 11-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Looks pretty good, great environments. Some of the human animation seems a little stiff here and there to my eyes. Nice to see Flynn from Tangled getting more acting work, hope he doesn't get typecast though

Cheers,
Brian

Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
treedee
Frequenter

Here we go again with the ghetto slug... No shell over herrrrrrr...really, then you cut to someone that sounds like there straight out of Hamlet.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedee
Here we go again with the ghetto slug... No shell over herrrrrrr...really, then you cut to someone that sounds like there straight out of Hamlet.

I noticed jarring things like this in Madagascar too.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
treedee
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
I noticed jarring things like this in Madagascar too.

...yeah it really takes me out of the movie. Transformers did the same thing with those two ghetto bots. Kids today don't need to be taught that type of behavior, its sends the wrong message to the audience about a particular group of people. Apologies for the rant, its very insulting.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Looks promising, but this teaser looks a bit premature. The music is an odd fit, and Blue Sky has a habit of casting actors that are less vocally distinctive than in most other animated films. Not saying that every animated character voice needs to be Genie/Robin Williams, but these voices have the generic low budget feel of a kid's tv show. Environments look interesting and hopefully they'll sell it better with a later trailer.

Last edited by Artbot : 11-20-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Even if it's Ferngully 2.0 or Honey I Shrunk My Daughter or Borrowers or whatever, looks visually cool and interesting.

Really can't stand the ghetto slug though. Robots was completely wrecked by dated human-world references and Robin Williams hamming it up, when they had such a beautiful and unique world, if they could have played it relatively straight or at least kept it in its own universe, it could have been 1000x better.

They have some of the best animation and lighting anywhere, but keep tripping on the writing, it seems..at least with their non-Ice Age properties.

Maybe it will just be a minor character, the other slug seems normal, and so does everyone else. Still have some hope..I actually like that the music is different, it kind of says that maybe the movie will be, too?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
treedee
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
Even if it's Ferngully 2.0 or Honey I Shrunk My Daughter or Borrowers or whatever, looks visually cool and interesting.

Really can't stand the ghetto slug though. Robots was completely wrecked by dated human-world references and Robin Williams hamming it up, when they had such a beautiful and unique world, if they could have played it relatively straight or at least kept it in its own universe, it could have been 1000x better.

They have some of the best animation and lighting anywhere, but keep tripping on the writing, it seems..at least with their non-Ice Age properties.

Maybe it will just be a minor character, the other slug seems normal, and so does everyone else. Still have some hope..I actually like that the music is different, it kind of says that maybe the movie will be, too?

Yeah I'm in agreement after I took a second look at the trailer. Other slugs seem to speak normal english. Blue sky does have some of the best lighting and animation I've seen, so heres hoping theres so much more to the movie then the sideswipe.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
JamesNZ
Frequenter
portfolio
James W
Wellington, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
The music is an odd fit...

I think it's fantastic actually Gives it a slightly more serious/deep feeling.

IMHO

- Jesus

Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
PerryDS
Everything Creative

portfolio
Perry Shulak
Contractor, self-employed
Critical Fusion Inc
Edmonton, Canada

Send a message via MSN to PerryDS
Upon first review ... hard to say where this will go ...

Many similarities to other films in the past "hidden world that's not outwardly visible, but it's there" ... but a different execution gives it a different flavour ...
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Xistel
Padawan
Christopher Halder
Lisbon, Portugal

I'm interested in the movie. Great environments. Just hope Blue Sky steps up the game writing-wise. It's been their weakest point for a while now.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
Pentagramma
Galactic Hitchhiker
portfolio
Alê Camargo
3d Artist / Animation Director
Buba Filmes
São Paulo, Brazil

Looks like Avatar vs Ferngully ... or Honey, I shrunk the Minimoys.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube

No kidding, soooo sick of this trend in comedy of doing the ghetto parody talk. It's not funny! Why do they think it's funny!

Honestly the trailer looked awesome, ignoring some stupid lines I really liked it. This movie looks like it has so much potential. The action sequences and ideas were really cool. Just hoping it isn't filled with dumb characters and over-worked punch lines.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 11-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #15
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
It's a cool trailer.

I suspect there's more to the villains here that will be discussed in the film proper.

It is though sort of like following the footsteps of other environmental action adventure parables like Fern Gully, Happy Feet, and AVATAR...

My main concern is the action.. The action doesn't have enough "danger" in it. the motion is still sort of the same as the jerky/expressive type used in the conversation scenes. I personally think the action parts should have emphasized the danger of combat on flying vehicles and it shouldn't look like a circus performance.

But I'm also thinking if the action was more visceral, there might be issues with the intended audience. So... OK...

Thread Closed share thread