How to prepare for work in 3D industry

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
How to prepare for work in 3D industry

Hi guys,
amazing site here! Im a pupil from germany and Ill finish highschool next year. So I want to ask you, how I could prepare myself for a job in the 3D/VFX industry. Im using Blender and AfterEffects for my own, little projects and a few little commercials. Would you recommend to learn Max, Vray, Realflow, Maya, Houdini or other popular tools. Is it important to know many tools, if you look for a job? Ill have 6 months school and 1 year abroad before I start a tuition. But what can I do to have a chance as freelancer or university applicant? What is important to know or exercise?
Learning every software a bit doesnt seem to me that clever.

I would enjoy every answer!
Thanks
Matthis S.

11 November 2012
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=372592

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by JacMat: Hi guys,
So I want to ask you, how I could prepare myself for a job in the 3D/VFX industry.

Have a good backup plan.

11 November 2012
The only advice i have to give you is if you want to work in the VFX industry you have to know Maya.

Skills are definitely more important than software, but don't for one second think you will get on the job training unless you are an unpaid intern and i wouldn't advise against going freelance straight out of college unless you are incredible at 3d as its a very competitive field. You can do very well, but get some work exp first before attempting freelancing

11 November 2012
The right connections. And some smiles.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Artbot: Have a good backup plan.

You shouldnt need a backup plan. If you work hard and get good the work is out there. But make no mistake, its hard work to get good and will take time

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by JacMat: Hi guys,
amazing site here! Im a pupil from germany and Ill finish highschool next year. So I want to ask you, how I could prepare myself for a job in the 3D/VFX industry. Im using Blender and AfterEffects for my own, little projects and a few little commercials. Would you recommend to learn Max, Vray, Realflow, Maya, Houdini or other popular tools. Is it important to know many tools, if you look for a job? Ill have 6 months school and 1 year abroad before I start a tuition. But what can I do to have a chance as freelancer or university applicant? What is important to know or exercise?
Learning every software a bit doesnt seem to me that clever.

I would enjoy every answer!
Thanks
Matthis S.
Find out what most people use in your region. in mine it's mostly Max, I have no idea what it's like in Germany.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by thethule: The only advice i have to give you is if you want to work in the VFX industry you have to know Maya.

Skills are definitely more important than software, but don't for one second think you will get on the job training unless you are an unpaid intern and i wouldn't advise against going freelance straight out of college unless you are incredible at 3d as its a very competitive field. You can do very well, but get some work exp first before attempting freelancing

Thank you for your answer!
So Maya is more important than Max. So you advise, that I should do some interns first, when i finished school. Or how should I get work experience?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by thethule: You shouldnt need a backup plan. If you work hard and get good the work is out there. But make no mistake, its hard work to get good and will take time

I know, thats hard work. And I also know itll need time. But because of that Ive wanted to ask you how to "get good", what to do in this long time. By the way, how did you get there, where youre today?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: Find out what most people use in your region. in mine it's mostly Max, I have no idea what it's like in Germany.

The big international ones use Maya, some Max but also many non-international companies use C4D.
Thanks for your answers.

11 November 2012
I also used to live in Leipzig when I started out. However there aren't a lot of job opportunities in that area so if you are not willing to re-locate you probably have to freelance around for smaller commercial/architecture gigs.
Where are you trying to get into? Film/Archviz/Commercials? For film in Germany Munich is a good place to be... Software-wise it depends. In Germany there are still a few places doing film work with max instead of maya. For comp nuke, of course

11 November 2012
Ok first question.
WHAT DO YOU WANT DO?
Animation?
Visual Effects?
Modeling?
Motion Graphics?

The advice we give you is based on
WHAT DO YOU WANT DO?

Learning to do 3D involves WAY MORE than learning how to use a program well.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

11 November 2012
I know that I have to relocate, but that just would be a problem, if I earn no money. The most I like to do VFX, but exept of motion graphics i also like arcviz, commercials... .

Last edited by JacMat : 11 November 2012 at 10:59 PM.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by thethule: You shouldnt need a backup plan. If you work hard and get good the work is out there

Speaking as a highly experienced artist who has been out of work for four months now, I'd have to disagree with you on the second part of your statement there. Yes, people must definitely follow their dreams, but they also need to be aware that this industry isn't the most stable and inevitably there will be times when work is scarce. Thankfully I've always prepared for gaps financially, but it still kinda sucks to not have a job to go to everyday. My point being that a backup plan should consist of hoarding money when times are good so you'll be able to survive when times are lean. There isn't always work out there, so always be prepared.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by leigh: My point being that a backup plan should consist of hoarding money when times are good so you'll be able to survive when times are lean. There isn't always work out there, so always be prepared.

Well I am just going to take that for the rest of my life now... thank you.

Thread Closed share thread