How many job tests one needs ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #61
I don't do tests myself as well. But when I am asked to I just say that I would charge for that.
But wait a second! What could we say about tests that companies do when they are pitching on some projects ?

Old 11 November 2012   #62
Originally Posted by lazzhar: What could we say about tests that companies do when they are pitching on some projects ?

A lot of business is done through presenting a pitch. The pitch is the responsibility of the company that is doing the presentation. I would never take an unpaid position on a pitch from any company, only business people I know personally. I wont put my time into a risk I have no connection to.

Old 11 November 2012   #63
Originally Posted by Kanga: A lot of business is done through presenting a pitch. The pitch is the responsibility of the company that is doing the presentation. I would never take an unpaid position on a pitch from any company, only business people I know personally. I wont put my time into a risk I have no connection to.

I agree but isn't doing a test for a client for a freelance job is some kind of pitching at a small level?

Old 11 November 2012   #64
You might see it like that. I would see it as a weak pitch.

Old 11 November 2012   #65
be careful, many times these companies are looking not for free stuff but for free ideas

Old 11 November 2012   #66
Originally Posted by lazzhar: I agree but isn't doing a test for a client for a freelance job is some kind of pitching at a small level?

Hmm just read my response and it seemed a bit strange. I am sure others have had success with tests so I am not saying it should not be done only that to send work off to someone you do not know is not a strong pitch.
When you say a test for freelance work ???? never ever done that. Usually there is a sketch phase but that is a paid part of the process. Oh dear it is getting dramatic if you have to test for a freelance commission. eek

Old 11 November 2012   #67
Quote: If a company cannot make a decision based on a CV, reel, interview, and checking references from previous employers, then they're just taking the piss.

Exactly. If you have a good reel, give a great interview and have references that should be it.
I'm with Leigh on this one.

Especially if you have references in the business. They can call to find out how well you work in a work environment.

Old 11 November 2012   #68
Very interesting thread, I agree with what people say, you shouldn't normally take art tests if you have a portfolio and job history... it's insulting indeed.

But. I think you should ask yourself how badly you want to work for that company. And are those guys really people you'd want to work with or not.

I heard of a case where an animation studio was asking for a bunch of animation that you had to do for their test, and they gave you 10 days to complete... on your own, at home. :/ So they didn't trust that the portfolio is yours, but they trusted that in those 10 days it was you who's working, at home, for their test. Ridiculous. Now... I admit that animation takes time, and a 1-2 hours test would be useless, maybe a 1-day test can be sort of revealing. But 10 days working for them, for free, I found more than unacceptable. And I met some of those guys later, a weird combination of desperate, aggressive, and arrogant people, definitely not a company you'd want to work for.

I had to take a 1 day test though for my job at [company_name_here], despite having a portfolio and previous job experience. I wanted to work for them and it turned out to be a great experience. But... 1 day test, before the interview! Yup. I wonder why some companies don't mind insulting you if they're interested in getting you to work for them...

So make sure you really want to work there, first... and if you really do, bite the bullet.

Old 11 November 2012   #69
Originally Posted by Samo: be careful, many times these companies are looking not for free stuff but for free ideas

I once did a test for a freelance position at Wonder Vision in London. They sent me a model and gave me two weeks to create an advertising shot with an emphasis on the concept. I handed it in and tried to get a response to my work. Not a peep!

The company that I created two high-detailed models for; RTT in Germany. They wanted both models sent over as a subdivided model and a non-subdivided model, in a week. I should have actually just sent them a wireframe render, but didn't think of it at the time.

Not saying that there was untoward practice going on, but when you don't hear back after doing a full on art test. You have to question it.

Old 11 November 2012   #70
I have done couple test before and I'll never do it again.
IMO company that can't draw the conclusion if you are right artist for them by looking at your reel and portfolio is not right company for you.
If you are doing test be aware that there might be a hundred or more people doing that same test.

Old 11 November 2012   #71
Think of yourself as a business. That means that every day you are working for free for god-knows-what, you are robbing yourself. Figure out what you could earn in one day at a company, or free-lance. So a 10-day 'free' art test costs you 10x that money.

Don't think "Well yeah but I don't have anything right now anyway" .... it's 10 days you could have been looking for that other job, networking, honing your skills, investing in yourself...

It's way too easy (especially in this market climate) to sell yourself short.

That doesn't make an art-test evil per-se I think. I saw a few honest examples after my previous post in this thread by companies who clearly respect your time and dedication and provide you with something valuable in return, say serious feedback or money.

Thinking of yourself like a business is harder for creatives (myself included :-) )

Old 11 November 2012   #72
Some of the test I have been involved in have taken a week. ... this art test thing is suddenly quite new.... I've never ever had to do an art test in my 15 years of working as a game artist before. Its a large commitment especially if like me - you are working freelance and you are needing to source new work and also commit to the work you have, and your family. No-one is thinking it though.... its quite... awful.

Old 11 November 2012   #73
I find tests somewhat insulting too, assuming you have a great portfolio with many years experience. If you are just getting into the industry, then it is more understandable. I took a test to get into to the film industry, because I was coming from a 3D CAD background. However after a decade of experience in film and games I have since turned down some tests.

However in the end the company has every right to require whatever test they want, and you are free to do it, or turn it down and look elsewhere. Perhaps the OP should politely decline and see what they say?

Old 11 November 2012   #74
time is money, and it applies to everything.

Old 12 December 2012   #75
I've never taken a test but I have administered one once. Applicant appeared woefully underqualified and I let them know as much but they really wanted a chance to prove themselves so I created a test by doing it myself. I then gave them the source material and direction as well as knowing in the back of my head how long it took me as a senior artist. Most importantly they should have been able to finish it in an hour

Their work wasn't up to snuff, I gave them a few comments, thanked them for their interest and let them know that we needed someone with more exprience.

If I were ever to administer a multi day test it would be the final hurdle and after pay etc was negotiated. An insurance if you will. And I would pay for their time since they are quialified and it's just for the studio's sake.

Thread Closed share thread