How many job tests one needs ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
How many job tests one needs ?

I've had so far 2 job interviews with one company which I'm not going to name at this point over skype. Also I did one job test and now they want one more test that will took one entire day. Since I'm having some running projects and this on is not something I can die for what should I do ? I'm interested in others opinions, how many of you did two interviews and two job tests, I'm not saying it is unnatural but I really wonder after test two will there be test 3 and so on. What would be polite way to avoid such thing, for one I feel that I waste time with previous one but I can live with that, I can sacrifice one weekend but I already did that previous time two weeks ago, I would rather spend it with my family if you understand me.

11 November 2012
One day doesn't seem like much of a loss

11 November 2012
I find the whole idea of art tests insulting. I'd flat out refuse to do one.

11 November 2012
What kind of tests are these?
I've heard of some tests that take about an hour (basic stuff, kind of insulting really...), but it's more technical, not art.

Don't they know who they are interviewing? Haven't they seen what you can do? Isn't that enough? If not, isn't the interview for exactly that? To get to know you better...
Cookie cutter tests seem like a pretty stupid idea if you ask me. It only does those companies a disfavor, they'll never get the right people with a guy filling out a piece of paper.

11 November 2012
Is this a reputable place? If not perhaps question what they are asking of you.

They may just be very cautious of who they are hiring, or they could be after free assets.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by leigh: I find the whole idea of art tests insulting. I'd flat out refuse to do one.

Mee too, but I was free two weeks ago and I was like OK I can practice a bit.

Originally Posted by leif3d: What kind of tests are these?

First one was was to sculpt some fantasy bust, new one is still unfamiliar to me, but as I understood if did that one correctly they will have one more interview.
Last two interviews lasted for two hours, so apparently I will hold new world record on job interviews

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by leigh: I find the whole idea of art tests insulting. I'd flat out refuse to do one.

Agree. We all have portfolio for a reason. In a doubt, there is a thing called "30 days probation period", or a in depth "6 months probation period".

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by DanielWray: Is this a reputable place? If not perhaps question what they are asking of you.

They may just be very cautious of who they are hiring, or they could be after free assets.

Not too much, the thing is they didn't want model at all just renders.

11 November 2012
If they want you for a day. why can't they just pay you for a day or give you something monetary? It's got to be worth something. At least your gas (or travel expenses), breakfast, lunch and dinner.

When I hire, I go through the portfolio and ask key questions about the creative process and listen and watch carefully. Then if they pass muster, we bring them in on a probationary period. They will be tested quickly enough and if they are unable to handle a production environment or back up their advertised skillset, they are exposed quickly and will not last very long.

11 November 2012
Their art test fails my employer test.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by BigPixolin: Their art test fails my employer test.

In this case they would need to contact you first, so they would be asking. Then you could refuse them (what a pleasure). But mostly it's the artists who apply for a company.

11 November 2012
I guess it depends on how much you want the job. If you've got work experience already I don't think they should be asking you to do a test.

I don't have a problem with the idea of tests as long as they aren't using you so they can get some free work done on a project.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by darthviper107: .....I don't have a problem with the idea of tests as long as they aren't using you so they can get some free work done on a project.

That's what I'm thinking. Also I wouldn't be keen on a whole day test, especially as you already did one test with them.

11 November 2012
It does seem like one more hoop to jump through. Aren't they skilled enough to judge your portfolio on what you can and cannot do? Or does your portfolio not match what they are looking for so they need you to show them?

I too think art tests seem insulting. Especially a whole day --- it is actually quite a lot come to think of it. If you just run the numbers with what you could earn if working a paid-job.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by paintbox: It does seem like one more hoop to jump through. Aren't they skilled enough to judge your portfolio on what you can and cannot do? Or does your portfolio not match what they are looking for so they need you to show them?

I too think art tests seem insulting. Especially a whole day --- it is actually quite a lot come to think of it. If you just run the numbers with what you could earn if working a paid-job.

If you aren't employed and it's not stopping you from earning money then the time isn't much of a loss.

Thread Closed share thread