AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AangtheAvatar
The highest grossing Chinese movie made 111 million.

Hero made over $170 million in 2002 dollars, and CTHD made over $200 million around the same time. I don't think those were pure Chinese made films though.

I think its good to look at the bigger picture here. China had some pretty draconian censorship laws back in the 20th century, and its nice to see things loosening up.

Here is a nice wiki article on the subject if anyone has some time to kill.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_China

I don't think Empires of the Deep will be getting a US theatrical release, but hopefully Netflix picks it up.

-AJ

Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #32
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrinc
Well if the Indians flocked to see the bizarre robot film that recently got made, I'm sure the Chinese will see this in enough numbers. We can mock - and we shall - but this may of never been made with western audiences in mind. I'm prepared to bet that this wont be a 'flop' ( what ever that is nowadays ).
Hey, that movie was legitimately fun and had some good dance numbers.

Plus the hundreds of robots merged together to form a giant snake that ate cops. Can't get much better then that!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #33
AangtheAvatar
Banned
portfolio
Aang Airbender
Air Temple, USA

Hero may have made 170 million in 2002 dollars but that was Worldwide and it had a worldwide distribution.
This movie cost 130 million in today's dollars. Even if it hit the success of Hero it would not break even with distribution costs associated, plus marketing cost.

If this comes to the US the graphics are not up to par with US and will have to compete with US CG films.

Movies like Hero do well because folks like Kung Fu movies but even then that has its limit. Kung Fu Hustle only made 100 million worldwide but was made for 20 million and was nominated for an Oscar.

Would I watch this film. Yeah as I think we are due for a Water World battle type fantasy. But could I convince my wife to see it especially because it looks this cheap and pay 10 bucks a person to see it. Nope. Just ain't happening.

If they do market this film in the US thought I don't think they will push the fact that is really a Chinese made film, like Hero and others that have come stateside. It will be marketed as a normal movie, which to me is great but given the graphics level will probably fall flat.

When people think Chinese films they think Kung Fu. I hate it because when I tell folks I watch Asian films they assume that I watch nothing but Kung Fu movies and they do that racist "Waaaah" kung fu sound. So I think if they market this as a Chinese film folks just won't get it.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #34
francomanko
Know-it-All
portfolio
Ad
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki
Plus the hundreds of robots merged together to form a giant snake that ate cops. Can't get much better then that!

And that is how and why films like this get made

Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #35
Apoclypse
Expert

If the guy were smart he would have gotten Zhang Yimou to direct the movie. That man's a genius, imo. He also knows how to make a beautiful looking movie with very little resources.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #36
sconlogue
Expert

portfolio
Samuel Conlogue
3D Visualization Artist
Infusion Studios, Inc.
Portland, USA

I think in many ways the differences between something that looks awesomely epic and something that looks Meh.. or snicker, snicker can be subtle to the average movie goer. They know cheese when they see it. That said I think cultural context plays a huge roll in where something falls on the Epic / cheese scale. What a western audience finds visually off-putting an eastern audience may not and vice versa. The wire work in CTHD for example rides that line when you consider westerners tend to lean towards straight ahead martial arts movies (Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan etc.) and typically were not as drawn to the more wire work heavy films of the genre. Yet CTHD did very well in the west. I enjoyed it a great deal. Maybe it was the fact it seemed exotic that helped in the success, who knows. It's a dinner discussion to be had for sure. How does culture effect VFX aesthetic?

All that said, I find this film very unappealing visually. It may be that the audience the film is intended for doesn't feel the same. Only the box office will tell. That's assuming the story isn't total crap.

Also, here's a reminder of at least one other cringe worthy mess of a film.

only $60,000,000 though

In the Name of the King

Ouch!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #37
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Supposed insider breaks his silence on this US-China co-production which is the brainchild of Chinese Real Estate magnate Jan Jiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Lawrence
I just heard from an inside source (in China) that this is an incomplete work. Knowing first hand how things have gone from the beginning of this production I have no reason to doubt that. The creator of this project has been shopping unfinished cgi trailers since day one -- most recently at AFM and CANNES. He does not seem to grasp that it is harmful to his efforts but like a kid with a new Batman cape he wears it everyplace he goes. I suspect we will see yet another more complete but not locked version by January 2013. There has been a boiler room full of mostly young animators (some very skilled and seasoned) sitting at their computers 14 hours a day for over 5 years working on this and every-time something is near completion - a new Vision is handed down - back to the drawing board -as it were. This was also true for the Production design and all that title encompasses. Allegedly - The Chinese government has put finishing funds into this so that guarantees a LOT of screen play -- In China. Re: 30 mil ( Cough cough) think -X- (US) It is reported that 1+ went to Olga - also Several sound stages housed massive sets for over a year - I saw warehouses full of finished props and costumes that went unused and were later re-designed there was extensive location shooting in less than ideal conditions and a full scale Greek Vessel Built- not sea worthy but stayed afloat long enough to get the shots. I am not saying the cgi will ever reach Jurassic Park or Avatar levels put I do think we may get surprised by next summer. MAYBE - that said - there is still the elastic shooting script to be considered.

Source:
www.slashfilm.com

Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #38
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

So it's more like a 20M USD movie... reshot 5 times because the head of the project changes his mind every so often...

That makes sense...

Because to start with, the cost of life in mainland china is about a quarter of Europe and the US. So 100M budget would represent 400M in hollywood...

Old 11-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #39
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

poor sweatshop animators... 14 hours a day and a boss that changes his mind more often then underwear.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #40
sconlogue
Expert

portfolio
Samuel Conlogue
3D Visualization Artist
Infusion Studios, Inc.
Portland, USA

If it was a cool trailer he wanted he could have hired these guys for a more budget friendly option.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #41
Bjur
Veteran

portfolio
Alexander Buhr
Student
Hannover, Germany

Beside deep waters actions with some good but also previs like animations, the trailer reminds me of: Underland - The Last Surfacer

Im curious about more informations and facts about that one. Its another "Epic Movie" project with low budgets i guess as it seems to be a in house thingie of NOMAD VFX..

Last edited by Bjur : 11-16-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #42
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread