Watch: Trailer For The $100 Million film 'Empires Of The Deep'

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #16
Where was the motion blur? Everything looked very crisp...

Old 11 November 2012   #17
Originally Posted by Njen: Where was the motion blur? Everything looked very crisp...

Yes. A number of things:

1) No motion blur
2) No "water" (it looked in parts like the fish or prehistoric fish-gator things were 'flying in space')
3) Font disparity in the in-between tiles and the final title tile (they should have used the title's font everywhere instead).
4) There is just.... the WAR.....there is no context for it or "stake" in it that merits a 100 minute picture it seems.

For Item 3 in particular I think the entire presentation could have benefited with use of those "waving halos" that you see reflected in all things when you're underwater? They could have done that everywhere...Also all the hair and things should be in like "near-zero-gravity"....

And shafts of light that come out from above (in place of what would be a "sky")? I think there was potential for good images here.

I think if they did make it feel like you were in an Underwater World.. everything would look more interesting?

Missed opportunity.

Old 11 November 2012   #18
130 million? Wow, I mean for that bank you could have gotten a lot more than this.
Get all your no name actors and extras for under 10 million, heck it is China you could have gotten name actors and actresses in that country for under 5 million.

I'm sure the main actress chic they got in this movie was not pulling those type of numbers.

So no star power to create the high cost and the graphics...ouch.

For 130 million I'm just thinking all the things you could have done for that. Hurts my stomach.

Even as a billionaire fanboy I would have a ton of ideas and actors and actresses I'd get and people I'd get to do it for me.

Wow that is super crazy.

Old 11 November 2012   #19
I think I just had a small brain aneurysm. This is beyond what I call "flop." This is burning money.

Old 11 November 2012   #20
Well if the Indians flocked to see the bizarre robot film that recently got made, I'm sure the Chinese will see this in enough numbers. We can mock - and we shall - but this may of never been made with western audiences in mind. I'm prepared to bet that this wont be a 'flop' ( what ever that is nowadays ).

Old 11 November 2012   #21
Sooo, 100 million and couldn't spend any money on a decent motion graphics artist for the titles? And haven't seen animation as bad since that "tears of steel" blender movie. As it has been said before, its "Delgo 2, the live action movie"

On a side note, its seeing crap like this that keeps stumbling me, like when i see that Uwe Boll still gets funded to make movies: In the dozens of ppl involved in the production and funding, doesn't anybody along the way say "hey, this looks like s**t, lets all go home eat nachos instead and give the money left to charity"? I'd love to see the dailies meetings. Do they cheer and self congratulate each day?

It doesn't make sense because its not even only because of the bad art in general, business wise, anybody with a common sense already knows its going to blow...

Last edited by Ethervoid : 11 November 2012 at 09:08 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #22
Sure, it doesn't look like a $150 000 000,00 movie....but it doesn't look *that* bad from an effects point of view.

I have a feeling that a lot of the budget was spent on purchasing equipment for future development.

It was funded by someone who obviously loves movies, and had the resources to make something they wanted. Just think of this like a REALLY large scale student film. If he is a BILLIONAIRE, then $150 000 000 isn't a massive amount of money. I know people that have spent their entire life savings on personal creative projects.

Or maybe I'm just an optimist.

Last edited by Pyke : 11 November 2012 at 09:14 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #23
Originally Posted by Pyke: It was funded by someone who obviously loves movies, and had the resources to make something they wanted. Just think of this like a REALLY large scale student film.
Or maybe I'm just an optimist.

Indeed, but as a Billionaire and someone who loves movies, unless it was someone who won lots of lotteries, wouldn't it be more natural/logical to be someone with a keen business sense that would get surrounded by the best artists the money can buy (if apparently that isn't a problem) to ensure quality of the final product for better revenues? Unless its a "gift for humanity" kind of thing

Old 11 November 2012   #24
Wink Long term

I agree with Pyke.

First of all, it wasn't that bad. Looking at how much JCM cost.

Secondly, I think a lot is spent on hardware and software.

Thirdly, if he think paying for artist (and other job) salary (specially local) so that they get some experience is a long term investment, he is doing it right. Instead of asking for government help to bring job locally with tax help, he just pay for it out right.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/mone...hain/55106114/1

Chinese is moving big into this international movie industry. With other production going on, they can be a big power house.

So if a billionaire wanted to improve local production even though it will cost him 1xx million? Good for him.

Old 11 November 2012   #25
Still better than Twilight.

Old 11 November 2012   #26
Originally Posted by Ethervoid: Indeed, but as a Billionaire and someone who loves movies, unless it was someone who won lots of lotteries, wouldn't it be more natural/logical to be someone with a keen business sense that would get surrounded by the best artists the money can buy (if apparently that isn't a problem) to ensure quality of the final product for better revenues? Unless its a "gift for humanity" kind of thing

More like gift to local artist (job + experience), if most artist involved is local. I think he is thinking long term.

Too early to say if it will be a flop. I don't even know if the story is based on their local folklore or something.

Old 11 November 2012   #27
This movie needs him:

Old 11 November 2012   #28
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: John Carter and Chronicles of Ridedick are not that bad...
Having said that...

I thought John Carter was very good. Never seen Riddick so can't comment.

Old 11 November 2012   #29
Originally Posted by Ethervoid: Indeed, but as a Billionaire and someone who loves movies, unless it was someone who won lots of lotteries, wouldn't it be more natural/logical to be someone with a keen business sense that would get surrounded by the best artists the money can buy (if apparently that isn't a problem) to ensure quality of the final product for better revenues? Unless its a "gift for humanity" kind of thing

You forget that everyone sees themselves as a 'creative soul', which just isnt true. This guy obviously thought that he could write a screenplay, and make an 'epic' movie-just as THOUSANDS if not HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people think they can do. Hell, just read these forums, or IMDB to see the opinions of arm-chair directors. And honestly, its something I am guilty of myself!

The fact stands that writing, and directing, are possibly the 2 most difficult creative jobs you get, and there are only a handful of people alive on planet earth who are really great at those disciplines..and everyone who writes a treatment or directs something thinks they are part of that elite.

Originally Posted by Ethervoid: On a side note, its seeing crap like this that keeps stumbling me, like when i see that Uwe Boll still gets funded to make movies: In the dozens of ppl involved in the production and funding, doesn't anybody along the way say "hey, this looks like s**t, lets all go home eat nachos instead and give the money left to charity"? I'd love to see the dailies meetings. Do they cheer and self congratulate each day?

It doesn't make sense because its not even only because of the bad art in general, business wise, anybody with a common sense already knows its going to blow...

Again tho-this wasn't a big studio spend. This was one privately funded production, with ONE PERSON at the top being the decision maker. A closer comparison to this would probably be George Lucas and the SW prequels. If anything, perhaps this shows where a studio system would have been an advantage?

Although for all we know they would have hired Damon Lindelof to just 'spruce the script up a bit', and then imagine what it would be....

Old 11 November 2012   #30
So if a billionaire wanted to improve local production even though it will cost him 1xx million? Good for him.

That is cool but China cannot sustain 100 million dollar movies. The market though large is not high dollar. At most China market is sustainable at around 60 million tops. The highest grossing movie of all time made 204 million and that was the US made movie Avatar.
The highest grossing Chinese movie made 111 million. And if you are coming out of the gate with this movie you probably killed the blockbuster of China right out of the gate.

The fact stands that writing, and directing, are possibly the 2 most difficult creative jobs you get, and there are only a handful of people alive on planet earth who are really great at those disciplines..and everyone who writes a treatment or directs something thinks they are part of that elite.

For 130 mil in china the dude could have gotten the best writer and director money could buy. Heck he could have probably bought a big US director. The movie should have looked a lot more polished.

It said he was working with Hollywood. I'm thinking some Hwood exec stole half his money and made the thing in China for 25-35 million which for that budget in china you get movies that look like this. Some rich hwood execs did some magic accounting Annard 100 mil richer

Oh and so you know. I'm not hating on Chinese Cinema. I have more Chinese movies than anything at my house. I'm an Asian cinema collector. They are not as polished as us films but are made for 5 million and top out at 25 million. This movie had an hwood budget and should look as such. I think someone stole this guys money and pocketed it.

Last edited by AangtheAvatar : 11 November 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Thread Closed share thread