Björk + Andrew Huang - "Mutual Core"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Björk + Andrew Huang - "Mutual Core"

Lots of hybrid media here, mixing his colorful cg-enhanced Cronenberg Muppet style with Björk's strangé like chocolate and peanut butter.

HD: http://youtu.be/ZM80F_J-QHE?hd=1

Making-of: http://youtu.be/LmyiYxtsImw?hd=1

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Of all the erotic rocky/trash/yarn balls with tongues that spit lava videos I've seen, this one is the best!

Last edited by Artbot : 11 November 2012 at 08:40 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Could have been good in the hands of a good director.

The CG work is good. But the overall direction of the video?

Borderline terrible imo...

Old 11 November 2012   #4
I think it's brilliant.
Very surreal and heavily art directed music video. Strong vision. I love it.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Apart from most of her songs sounding like someone with a sore throat mad for getting a very salty pretzel, Björk's trait have always been the "eccentric" videos in the last decades. Now i get the feeling "i've seen this or better before", doesn't impress much anymore from a technical POV

Old 11 November 2012   #6
I'm not a Bjork fan, but I think the video was well done. For me, the visuals were better than the music.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
An edgy experience watching this. Provoking, a bit shocking, trying to get the "wow"-factor.
Perhaps for most it's "not pretty", but I think in terms of non-classical aesthetics it can be called as "working" (could be a new criteria instead of "beautiful, or "disgusting"). We saw it, we memorized it, that was its point. But it's modern, isn't it?
Modern aesthetics tries to step into a new zone, and it does, which is hard to grasp and even harder to digest. Though, there are certain traits in it, so it's not false or a simple joke. It's a tendency which reflects our time and changes.

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Overall I see a tendency in CG where the abstract, the expressionist, impressionist or surrealist seems to get misunderstood and unappreciated by people for a love of realism and overly technical narrative works.

Lets not undo what the avant garde did, which is free us from an overly restrictive system of aesthetic appreciation that was completely biased towards realistic works until the late 19th century.
The impressionists started a movement, which seems to be regressing in CG. Good thing people are still thinking out of the box and coming up with fresh ideas regardless of these tendencies.

Don't get me wrong, I love realistic narrative art, but I also love abstraction and everything that comes with it.

Old 11 November 2012   #9
Great leaping multicoloured furballs batman.

Old 11 November 2012   #10
That was amazing! Totally surreal, the music really matches perfectly with the visuals. They complement eachother perfectly to create something truly alien and fascinating.

Old 11 November 2012   #11
Originally Posted by leif3d: Overall I see a tendency in CG where the abstract, the expressionist, impressionist or surrealist seems to get misunderstood and unappreciated by people for a love of realism and overly technical narrative works.....
.....Don't get me wrong, I love realistic narrative art, but I also love abstraction and everything that comes with it.

Interesting discussion for me. I think the CG world is drawn to realism partly because each technical milestone that's achieved seems to make it more in reach, whether it's GI, hair rendering, fluid simulation etc etc. On the other hand though trying to reproduce reality might seem to not be using the medium to its full potential as really we can create anything we imagine really, so why not explore that and create worlds no one has seen before.

Anyhoo.. back on topic I enjoyed the video but didn't think the blend of puppets and CG worked all that well in places. I did like the sliced head effect though and the overall atmosphere of the piece.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 11 November 2012   #12
Now how can I dance to this?

Old 11 November 2012   #13
Originally Posted by Joss: Now how can I dance to this?

Step one: poke out tongue.
Step two: encourage others to do same.

Old 11 November 2012   #14
I'm a big fan of Björk but this doesn't really work for me, music and visuals. Thinking back to "Hunter" and "Hidden Place", some of Björk's mile stones.

Old 11 November 2012   #15
Originally Posted by bobtronic: I'm a big fan of Björk but this doesn't really work for me, music and visuals. Thinking back to "Hunter" and "Hidden Place", some of Björk's mile stones.

I really like the visuals in this myself. I think the segmented faces and the lava faces are actually stuff that remind me of her older "golden age" videos, and this fits right in with her style, IMO.

Her last two albums have distanced me a lot from her musically..which I'm fine with, really. I'd rather she keep growing and experimenting, even if it means getting weirder and not stuff I instantly like. Sad I can't stay a 100% devoted fan, but good on her for not just being stagnant and trying to redo her earlier style over and over.

I can and do and will listen to her 1993-2001 albums FOREVER though.

Thread Closed share thread