Capturing Reflections for CG?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Question Capturing Reflections for CG?

Hi,
At my work we're setting up a shoot of a handheld device. We'd like to capture the natural reflections to composite with the simulated screen. What's a good production technique for doing this? It seems like tracking markers taped to the device would be helpful for getting the track, but they'd interfere with the reflections. What's the best color to put on the screen - black? 50% grey?

I'd like to see what the CG community recommends. Thanks!

Last edited by pajhonka : 11 November 2012 at 06:50 PM.

11 November 2012
Reflections on the device or the environment?

11 November 2012
deleted ....

Last edited by Tamagoo : 11 November 2012 at 07:49 PM.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by mister3d: Reflections on the device or the environment?

On the device.

The camera will be moving. I was thinking I'd motion track the device's screen then composite the screen with a Screen blend mode. If the screen is 50% grey or black, I can maintain the natural reflections & environment. I just wanted to know if there was a better way to do this because I typically see people use tracking markers on the device screen which would need to be painted out.

11 November 2012
edited

ah, never mind. You are asking about tracking. I haven't done it myself so I cannot comment. forget I was here ;P

11 November 2012
An example of what I'm looking to accomplish:

11 November 2012
Unless you shot an HDRI and are just recreating the entire object, it's always going to be some work.

For situations where it's markered you just do paintouts like you would for marker removal on any other surface, just more of a pain in the ass.

You could for instance piece together a still of the reflection/sheen and then warp it back into shape as it animates across, or animate it across your screen element before it's pinned to the screen, but no matter what you are counter animating to make sure it matches the surrounding reflections outside the screen.

Have not seen any automated methods..would be curious to see if so.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by hypercube: Unless you shot an HDRI and are just recreating the entire object, it's always going to be some work.

For situations where it's markered you just do paintouts like you would for marker removal on any other surface, just more of a pain in the ass.

You could for instance piece together a still of the reflection/sheen and then warp it back into shape as it animates across, or animate it across your screen element before it's pinned to the screen, but no matter what you are counter animating to make sure it matches the surrounding reflections outside the screen.

Have not seen any automated methods..would be curious to see if so.

Thanks for the response. That's what I was afraid of - painting out markers! It's such a pain in the ass and hard to get right!

11 November 2012
How about doing the room (or the relevant wall) in CGI and having a pre-rendered plate for how the reflection scrolls around the device?

You'd need the camera movement in CG and Live action to be identical but at least the reflection will be ready-made.

If the tablet itself is CG then you have no problem... and you only need markers for where the tablet should be?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: How about doing the room (or the relevant wall) in CGI and having a pre-rendered plate for how the reflection scrolls around the device?

You'd need the camera movement in CG and Live action to be identical but at least the reflection will be ready-made.

If the tablet itself is CG then you have no problem... and you only need markers for where the tablet should be?

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm considering a CG reflection made with cutaway footage/photos from the location.

11 November 2012
I just take photos of the surroundings and project them onto proxy geometry around the object I'm comping. Works for me

- Jesus

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by JamesNZ: I just take photos of the surroundings and project them onto proxy geometry around the object I'm comping. Works for me

Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking.

11 November 2012
That's the same as shooting a chrome sphere for an HDRI, etc. you should in theory be able to place an object in the same place in the same scene and have the same reflections, but it's never flawless.

If you replace ALL the reflections on the object, then it doesn't matter. At that point you may as well replace the entire object.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by hypercube: That's the same as shooting a chrome sphere for an HDRI, etc. you should in theory be able to place an object in the same place in the same scene and have the same reflections, but it's never flawless.

If you replace ALL the reflections on the object, then it doesn't matter. At that point you may as well replace the entire object.

Which is feasible as the object in question is just a tablet.

11 November 2012
Just film the screen turned off (black).. and add the image with an "add" (linear space) or "screen" photoshop.

Thread Closed share thread