Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #31
colesslaw
Frequenter

portfolio
Sherrie Law
Shading TA
Vancouver, Canada

I love all the steampunk/medievalpunk stuff and mix of swords and magic! That's what FF is and is what they do best. I think the fans love it too and I don't think they should do less of it. But like Apoclypse mentioned, lately they are lacking creative explorations of those genres and those cross-over worlds. FF11 (MMO), FF12, and FF14(MMO) are essentially the same worlds, almost like they are reusing a lot of elements. FF13 is a little of that world with some cyberpunk added to it... but it just felt boring. FF7,8,9,10 all have very distinctly different worlds and 10 was the last FF that any fans considered to be a true FF.

Also I find the franchise has gotten so serious that it has lost all the charm FF always had. I mean swords and magic and steam-driven things... yes it's meant to be ridiculous and there were always elements of humor in the game to accompany that. Give me the weird moogle, chocobo, cactaur, tonberry, Biggs and wedge. The main characters have gotten so boring and uncharacteristic that I could care less if they died in the beginning of the game.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #32
th3ta
Veteran

portfolio
3d Artist
In a dark office, USA

What horrible music.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #33
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by colesslaw
The main characters have gotten so boring and uncharacteristic that I could care less if they died in the beginning of the game.
You know I never put those words to it but that describes my thinking exactly.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #34
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
So it seems they can go "Punk" in two directions:

1) Punk + Dungeons & Dragons straight up fantasy
2) Punk + Magic in early 1900's - 1930's

I think both would be interesting, and I think the 2nd option would yield something more acceptable to current fans and non-fans.

It always did seem from some of the designs (particularly head gear and goggles) that their Design team was always aching to go straight up into early 20th century territory.... So telling them they'll go ahead with it will probably set them free.

Setting an FF in the age of Gunpowder would sort of necessitate bringing up a basic real-time movement/combat/spellcasting system akin to Mass Effect. But maybe segregating the larger more tactical stuff such as ultra-long range or area-of-effect movements or spells to a "spacebar pause" style system would help maintain some of that old FF feel while making the scale of the action bigger than Mass Effect.

Finite Ammo necessitates the use melee weapons which would still be a very good way of moving forward. I'd suggest the guns are primarily to help pacing (cannon fodder should die quickly this time and not scale up in level in each area).

I think we're on to something here...

My personal vote goes to them just "going Japan".... Forget Europe.. make it Japan in the 30's... go with Japanese names.. go with Japanese style.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #35
colesslaw
Frequenter

portfolio
Sherrie Law
Shading TA
Vancouver, Canada

The European-Japanese thing didn't really bother me, even though it always felt a little weird. But I wouldn't mind a new game in the series that's all Japanese to add some new spark to the game. In the past they have sometimes introduced hints of Japanese culture when you visited a distant town.... but they presented it as such a foreign and exotic culture that is distant and unknown to the characters while it should have been the most familiar culture to the makers of the game .

Another problem is the recent games have gotten more and more linear. To me FF is a lot about the open world element - exploring this world that is new to us because it exists in an alternate timeline. There's always the element of the airship past halfway into the game where you can go anywhere you wanted. This is when fans of the series can go and find easter eggs hidden in the game.

And then the battles... in FF13 the battles were LONGGGGG. Even for some random encounter of lowly, weak enemies that I should have been able to wipe out in one hit. Even if I do wipe them out in one hit, the cutscenes and effects and combo-trigger thing is just dragging it on and on. All I wanted to do is to walk 1/10 of the map but it would take what felt like half an hour.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #36
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Exploring was always something I liked in the FF games. But the important thing is that it always yielded rewards. Maybe not everytime you ventured out but the possibility was there to make a great discovery.

I still remember playing FF1 and how the battles would go in my mind compared to how they were represented on screen. My imagination would create these great, sometimes funny, battle scenes to compensate for what the NES couldn't do. FFXIII seems to be a bit improved but still... I don't know after playing other games it takes you out of the fight too much where you are a director instead of a player.

Quote:
So it seems they can go "Punk" in two directions:

1) Punk + Dungeons & Dragons straight up fantasy
2) Punk + Magic in early 1900's - 1930's

Both of those sound pretty good to me. Something like Steamboy or Howls.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #37
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by colesslaw

Another problem is the recent games have gotten more and more linear. To me FF is a lot about the open world element - exploring this world that is new to us because it exists in an alternate timeline. There's always the element of the airship past halfway into the game where you can go anywhere you wanted. This is when fans of the series can go and find easter eggs hidden in the game.

And then the battles... in FF13 the battles were LONGGGGG. Even for some random encounter of lowly, weak enemies that I should have been able to wipe out in one hit. Even if I do wipe them out in one hit, the cutscenes and effects and combo-trigger thing is just dragging it on and on. All I wanted to do is to walk 1/10 of the map but it would take what felt like half an hour.

Well that's what the whole Punk + 1930's thing would be about. See... if the "basic game" was a cover system shooter and you make it that there are a lot of enemies that are just "real time cannon fodder" who die in one or two shots.. then a majority of battles will be short. Even in the final area as you will face the "cannon fodder" repeatedly - much like Storm Troopers in Star Wars.

And then you make it that major spells, summons, area-of-effect things require that you press a button that pauses the game and zooms out so you can do it almost like you're calling in air strikes and you use this for the major enemies for whom the standard cover system shooter thing would take a loooong time to kill. Not to mention that you make it such that the melee weapons are stronger than the ranged weapons and give you moves that instantly cover ground quickly (ala Metal Gear Rising).

The cars and things would allow for emphasis of a "band traveling in a vehicle around the world" sort of thing (think: 1930's A-Team, or Bonnie & Clyde). I'm not really thinking about plot.. as if you think about games the first thing you have to think about is gameplay.

Here's some Visual Aids to show what might be possible in an "All-Japan" 30's setting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-9K2t-e1eg

The last image btw is a picture showing "Japanese War Tubas". Those things are way more awesome than most of the other stuff that has shown up in recent FF games!

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 11-17-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #38
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

The description put me more in mind of Avatar: Legend of Korra.

Hell, why not have an FF style game just set in that world? Or have they tried that yet?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #39
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
The description put me more in mind of Avatar: Legend of Korra.

Hell, why not have an FF style game just set in that world? Or have they tried that yet?

They have guns in Legend of Korra?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #40
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
They have guns in Legend of Korra?

They were headed for it..bombs etc.

Everything else is very 20's-30's though, and extremely steampunk, magic powered city, etc.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #41
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
They were headed for it..bombs etc.

Everything else is very 20's-30's though, and extremely steampunk, magic powered city, etc.

After seeing some footage of Legend of Korra, I think:

1) That look has been done before by... well.. Legend of Korra. (ie: The look is very specific and approaching that might cause comparisons)
2) The state of design is "restrictive" in Japan-Metrosexual terms. What I'm saying is, you'd still be shackling their artists instead of letting their hairspray, goggles-on-forehead style sit properly.

I'd still go with that "K-20" / World War 2 Empire of Japan look.
It's rarely used and looks really stylish.

That said.. something that does approximate the style you talked about is Tai Chi Zero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u69dGmQxIA

It could work, but it might look more Chinese than Japanese...

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 11-17-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #42
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Wooo hooo hoo, just saw it.
There is some damn fine character animation going on in there.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #43
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread