Tokyo’s 3D printing photobooth lets you turn yourself into an action figure

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Tokyo’s 3D printing photobooth lets you turn yourself into an action figure

Quote:
"The advent of the photobooth gave ordinary people access to inexpensive photo portraits. The 3D printing photobooth might do the same thing—with personal action figures. A pop-up shop opening this month in Tokyo's Harajuku neighborhood will let folks print out 3D dolls of themselves."
http://io9.com/5959552/worlds-first...an?popular=true
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Hah that is ingenious. I like it.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
3d printing and scanning are starting to get pretty sophisticated

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Can I instead request a DVD containing .OBJ files?
Does it make Collada exports?

Old 11 November 2012   #5
3D printing is a trend now...even though sophisticated indeed.

Old 11 November 2012   #6
I suppose this had to come sooner or later. I wonder if the average shopper will really want this. Apparently photo booths popularity have suffered because fun shots are now mostly taken with mobile phones.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Hello stop motion animators, animating the likenesses of real actors.

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: Hello stop motion animators, animating the likenesses of real actors.

Just capturing a bunch of positions and making things like run cycles would be pretty cool. It seems inevitable the price will come down, and the time required to stay still (15 minutes) will be reduced as well. I can totally see this becoming the "new photo booth" where you get in, pay $20 and out pops a figure of you in a few minutes.

Old 11 November 2012   #9
It's not that much more of a stretch than what they did on Paranorman (as I understand it)

Old 11 November 2012   #10
There are already people experimenting with full volume capture of moving actors using multiple kinects in an array, and getting some damn promising fidelity..so it should be possible now, not super cheap, but definitely possible.

A lo-fi version done with homebrew tools could even be done, like two kinects and a makerbot or something. Would be an interesting look even including the glitches as part of the feel of the animation.

Seems like it would kind of like that one Radiohead video, but on a tabletop.

Old 11 November 2012   #11
I don't think scanners are nearly fast enough to capture motion, but hey, the bizare artifacts will look damn cool.

Old 11 November 2012   #12
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: It's not that much more of a stretch than what they did on Paranorman (as I understand it)

Paranorman just used 3d printed faces; the bodies were traditional jointed puppets.

Old 11 November 2012   #13
Originally Posted by Meloncov: Paranorman just used 3d printed faces; the bodies were traditional jointed puppets.

Yeah.
So imagine using the likeness of a real actor. Scan him doing different phonemes and expressions. use the Actor's proportions for a jointed puppet.

Old 11 November 2012   #14
Originally Posted by Artbot: Just capturing a bunch of positions and making things like run cycles would be pretty cool.

Laika House uses 3D printing for all their stop-motion animations for exactly this reason. Easy to model all he poses in 3D and print them all out to be animated.

Old 11 November 2012   #15
Originally Posted by th3ta: Laika House uses 3D printing for all their stop-motion animations for exactly this reason. Easy to model all he poses in 3D and print them all out to be animated.

I understand they are already doing this with 3D models that are sculpted in programs like zbrush. I was thinking more a public photo booth where the 3d scan would take no longer than a current photo.

You could hold a pose for only a few seconds, then another, then another, and get the 3d prints of each pose, then stop-motion animate them. No, it's not efficient or cheap (yet), but as an experiment it would be fun to mess with.

Thread Closed share thread