Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Why is Arnold Render not publicly available?

I keep hearing "Arnold rendered this" and "Arnold rendered that", and people who have used it say things like "Arnold has the fastest GI rendering", and so on and so forth.

Does anyone know why all render engines have trials/demos, and Arnold doesn't even have a proper webpage explaining any of its features, or letting you download a trial version?

I don't quite get the point of Solid Angle making Arnold available to a few big studios only.

Are they trying to repeat the Pixar "Renderman" experience, where Renderman was for many years only available to big studios with deep pockets? Even Pixar has changed this old business model and created a smaller "Renderman for Maya" product that pretty much anyone can buy.

What's the point of developing a supposedly high-powered renderer, and then letting only select studios use it?

Am I missing something here?

Old 11-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
mrcain
Frequenter
portfolio
mr
london, United Kingdom

It looks like you are missing their email address on their website.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Because once something hits the Internet, it gets cracked pretty soon by our kind robyn hoods. This way some studios can take the advantage of having a technology ahead of its time I suppose.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

As far as I know you can find cracked version quite easy, it comes with amazing help just like official version, you just need to send an e-mail with request and you will have fully functional version with watermark.
Either way Arnold is amazing.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcain
It looks like you are missing their email address on their website.

BURN! Ha ha!

While I don't know much about Arnold, from my experience this is due to 80/20 rule. 80% of the profit comes from 20% of your client. Maybe they don't want to lose money on support or dilute their man power by selling it to the mass.

Of course, market force might changed it in the future (just like Renderman), but not until they felt the need of it, they wont. Triple A game engines was also hard to access, giving the market to 3D Game Studio, Jamagic, DX Studio and many others. But when Unity also come to Windows from Mac and provide free version, everything changes. This lead to free version of UDK and CryEngine, which in effect, causing a lot of small time game engine studios close shop.

So maybe one day Arnold will be available to the masses, but what will it do to other renderer?

Anyway, to sum it up, yes, you are missing their email address (it was their business decision anyway).

Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBug
As far as I know you can find cracked version quite easy, it comes with amazing help just like official version, you just need to send an e-mail with request and you will have fully functional version with watermark.
Either way Arnold is amazing.

Yes, Arnold is available cracked online.

But I'm not looking for that.

I'm looking for an official trial-version from Solid Angle that I can download and test legally (for 30 days or whatever...).

Old 11-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

Send an e-mail to info@solidangle.com

Old 11-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
HFnord

The way I understood it, but this nothing but hearsay: Solid Angle only offers a five seat minimum per customer, but if you're willing to pay that price, I believe you should be able to convince them to let you try. As to the decisions Solid Angle has made so far concerning (lack of) marketing and (lack of) PR we'll have to see how it turns out. It's a very interesting take on a viral campaign, as everybody's talking about it, while there is hardly any information around. They recently at least took the very wise step to employ Stephen Blair (former Softimage Head of Support) as part of their support team, so maybe (just maybe) they're stepping a little closer to the plate.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
TAVO
good looking

jesus valdivia
Mexico

Fxphd is running an Introduction to Arnold render this term, you have full access to the engine by their VPN software, maybe you can look there.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
mustique
Expert
copywriter

They are not worried about the support to individuals, they could do it the Pixar way / or the Mental images way if they'd like. They either are really obsessive to release something bug free or they're not %100 cleared by others patents.

Either way, I'm looking forward to arnold and Modo's plugin renderer too.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
PhilipeaNguyen
Frequenter
portfolio
Philip E.A. Nguyen
Philadelphia, USA

There is a bit of an issue with this, because from the standpoint of it having been "Under the Radar" for so long there's no telling how they'll compete in an open and developed market.

With so many renderers available there's a point where if you don't release a product and build a modest to substantial user base that's loyal other products that are already out or new innovative products could release and edge you out. It's a big gamble the developers of arnold are taking and only time will tell if it was the right one.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
m0z
SOuP cook

portfolio
Mathias Markovits
CG Allrounder
ViennaPaint
Austria

we're not a big studio and bought 5 licenses (minimum).

and I agree, for some areas Arnold kicks ass (look and speed wise), it REALLY kicks!
So it's not only "big studios", but indeed a little bit pricy at the first look. But on the other hand, you're saving so much time where in other renderers you'll have to setup this and that for animation and so on... and time is money.
But the price is worth it imho - although some things are not really that user friendly like in Vray in the Maya port MtoA, but time will tell.

one thing I just recalled - I've never seen any render engine handling extreme polycounts with that ease like Arnold does. I did a city scene test today with 4billion faces and I waited like 2seconds before the IPR started and you get instant feedback in it without crashes!

That's why we just can't go back to MR lol

The only thing I still render with MR are forests and landscapes with lots of plants because Arnold has a serious slowdown when using cutout opacity maps too much. And for my workflow the leaves of the trees have those maps. If one would model the leaves in the software like Speedtree or whatever, Arnold would chew threw the huge polycounts.
I don't know why it is but Vray and MR is many times faster in that specific area.

Last edited by m0z : 11-12-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0z
we're not a big studio and bought 5 licenses (minimum).

But the price is worth it imho - although some things are not really that user friendly like in Vray in the Maya port MtoA, but time will tell.

l

what price is it?

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
m0z
SOuP cook

portfolio
Mathias Markovits
CG Allrounder
ViennaPaint
Austria

I think it was like 900 per license. But Solid Angle doesn't differentiate between render and interactive licenses... You have to pay that price either way. So we have 5 interactive/batch licenses here..

Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0z
I think it was like 900 per license.

So if it is not "super expensive" or "super exclusive for big studios only" as Renderman once was, why don't these people build a small site for Arnold, explaining what it is, and put a trial version up for download?

I really don't get it. People say "Arnold is great, Arnold is great". Some say it is "the most powerful renderer ever made". And then, when you want to find out more about it, or try it, there is nothing on their site other than a crappy email address???

This smells like a shitty marketing-stunt to me... Pretending that their renderer is "really exclusive" or "really special" or something.

Arnold should have a site with pricing info, features info, a user gallery, and a 30 day trial or something like it.

Wake me when the Solid Angle people have learned how to create a website for their product...

Thread Closed share thread