SKYFALL - "What did you expect? An Exploding Pen?"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11 November 2012   #31
I know I am in a minority but gave this movie a 5 at IMDB (for Craig and some of the visuals)

The story was bad, like really bad. The villain was almost there but definitely not memorable and not Bond worthy. I don't know, I have too much to say about what annoyed me. Let's just leave it that it was bad for me.
__________________
WhatWeMake
 
Old 11 November 2012   #32
Oscar talk has already started. I'm not sure why everyone is so damn pumped for this movie, it's good, definitely fun, but not Oscar worthy by a long shot.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...e-oscar/265131/

Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I have a feeling that after SKYFALL, the ALEXA camera system will become very popular. Digital camera with synthetic grain look plus color keying software built-in.....

Amazing. Explains a lot of things about why it looked so "animated" in parts.


I thought it was shot on IMAX cameras, but I read wrong. You're right. it was shot in ARRI and then cropped for IMAX at full 4K res, so I guess you're getting a full 4K experience in IMAX.
No wonder it looks so damn nice, that camera is something special.
__________________
LEIF3D.com

Last edited by leif3d : 11 November 2012 at 10:34 PM.
 
Old 11 November 2012   #33
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr: I know I am in a minority but gave this movie a 5 at IMDB (for Craig and some of the visuals)

The story was bad, like really bad. The villain was almost there but definitely not memorable and not Bond worthy. I don't know, I have too much to say about what annoyed me. Let's just leave it that it was bad for me.


Now I don't think you're in the minority. It's just that usually even if one thinks SKYFALL was a terrible film, the point was it LOOKED really good almost all of the time and basically all the technical people (Visuals, Audio, Actors) they all did a superb job.

It's just really really well executed. It reminds me of what happened when the Panamera came out. Even people who didn't like it couldn't disagree that it was a well engineered car and that the craftsmanship was top-notch... they just couldn't come to terms that it was a 4-door Porsche design.

I think SKYFALL is like that. We just can't come to terms with what happened with the loss of scale and the pettyness of the villain. But a lot of other things stood out as very good.

I'd actually consider owning it on BluRay for example, just for the images and color examples.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 11 November 2012   #34
Originally Posted by leif3d: No wonder it looks so damn nice, that camera is something special.


Yeah, I'm sure Roger Deakins had nothing to do with it.

The effects that those computers can make are amazing too.


In all seriousness though, the latitude on the Alexa is amazing, but a skilled cinematographer can make nice images with any decent camera.
__________________
The End

Last edited by Unklejman : 11 November 2012 at 01:49 AM.
 
Old 11 November 2012   #35
Originally Posted by Unklejman: Yeah, I'm sure Roger Deakins had nothing to do with it.

The effects that those computers can make are amazing too.


In all seriousness though, the latitude on the Alexa is amazing, but a skilled cinematographer can make nice images with any decent camera.


We're not saying Deakins had nothing to do with it.

In fact, I think the point is Alexa is just about endorsed by Deakins the way he and his team keep harping about it.

It's like Nike and Michael Jordan. I said "Alexa will become popular". I didn't say "Alexa will make everyone super at cinematography." The article posted was also a great endorsement because it showcased what ARRI's creation could do.

People buy Nike but they still can't slam dunk from the freethrow line.

So don't worry the only thing we have going on here is healthy appreciation for Deakins (and weighted criticism of SKYFALL).
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 11 November 2012   #36
The plot was a bit thin, and there were a couple things that bugged me. I felt M could have averted some of the death and destruction, and resolved the situation sooner at one moment in the film. Perhaps Bond could have been more prepared in another. I've generally accepted Craig as Bond, even if, I don't quite see him as a perfect fit for the role. I refer to him as James Blond sometimes. He isn't quite as suave, or quite as handsome as I think Bond should be. I liked the nods to earlier Bond films. It felt as if the other Craig films were almost ashamed of Bond's earlier outings, trying to distance themselves from them, whereas, this film embraced the earlier stuff.
I'm glad that they actually had the Bond theme in the movie. It isn't really a James Bond film without the Bond theme. I thought the opening titles were great, and I loved the song by Adele the first time I heard it. It really captures the classic sound of other Bond Title songs like Diamonds Are Forever, Goldfinger, and Live and Let Die.
Overall, I enjoyed Skyfall. It was certainly better than Quantum Of Solace.
__________________
I will never be a fan of any kind of political correctness: I think it's instant death to creativity." - Mads Mikkelsen
 
Old 11 November 2012   #37
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Now I don't think you're in the minority. It's just that usually even if one thinks SKYFALL was a terrible film, the point was it LOOKED really good almost all of the time and basically all the technical people (Visuals, Audio, Actors) they all did a superb job.

It's just really really well executed. It reminds me of what happened when the Panamera came out. Even people who didn't like it couldn't disagree that it was a well engineered car and that the craftsmanship was top-notch... they just couldn't come to terms that it was a 4-door Porsche design.

I think SKYFALL is like that. We just can't come to terms with what happened with the loss of scale and the pettyness of the villain. But a lot of other things stood out as very good.

I'd actually consider owning it on BluRay for example, just for the images and color examples.


Well yeah, I know we are on CGTalk and we should talk about visuals more but I was just saying that overall the movie was not I think it would be. For a Bond movie I was really, really disappointed. And were was the action? The glamour? The gadgets? Meh.
__________________
WhatWeMake
 
Old 11 November 2012   #38
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr: Well yeah, I know we are on CGTalk and we should talk about visuals more but I was just saying that overall the movie was not I think it would be. For a Bond movie I was really, really disappointed. And were was the action? The glamour? The gadgets? Meh.


If you didn't see any action, you may of been watching a different movie.
__________________
Posted by Proxy
 
Old 11 November 2012   #39
Originally Posted by grrinc: If you didn't see any action, you may of been watching a different movie.



The intro action sequence was never topped during the whole movie. That says something.
__________________
WhatWeMake
 
Old 11 November 2012   #40
I enjoyed the movie overall, but there are some minor trivial things that i think it could have been better:

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
Ithink the bond girl didn't have enough screen time (10 mins?) i know Moneypenny also was sort of a bond girl in the beginning, but compared to all bond films where they tag along most of the movie it was short imho.

If the evil mastermind had henchmen why the hell go through all that trouble to escape prision and go to the courthouse just to get a timely bond "crisis averted" moment? If they had the costumes to pass by as a police officers, logic would dictate that they could kill M by themselves. I understand hubris and showoff was a trait of the character, and it could be a show of force/intelligence, but still would make sense to have a backup plan for someone that intelligent.

And the whole disfigured face/prosthetic seemed a bit forced. With such severe injuries and deformation, it seemed more natural if it would show a bit " facial damage" since no prosthetic is that perfect.(kind of an uncanny valley on reverse)

The Komodo dragons although nicely done made me think "what? why? what for?"

 
Old 11 November 2012   #41
Originally Posted by Unklejman: Yeah, I'm sure Roger Deakins had nothing to do with it.

The effects that those computers can make are amazing too.


In all seriousness though, the latitude on the Alexa is amazing, but a skilled cinematographer can make nice images with any decent camera.


Of course he didn't have anything to do with it! It's just the camera! point and shoot...I've got one right in my smartphone...look I can even apply fun filters and lens flares!

Thanks for making a ridiculous argument out of thin air and then pointing out the obvious.

Not because I say a camera is special it means the cinematographer is not special.
Uh...people and their flawed logic...
__________________
LEIF3D.com

Last edited by leif3d : 11 November 2012 at 04:35 PM.
 
Old 11 November 2012   #42
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr: The intro action sequence was never topped during the whole movie. That says something.


Ah, I take it you and I are both more for the style of 007 where the action peaks are the start and the end (the proverbial "last big raid") 007 films with the smattering of one or two "hero stunts" in between.

It is true that the film kind of "wound down" mostly because of what they did with the story. Since it was already made public in an article posted here, I did feel they tried to make up for it with the Manor Battle at Skyfall complete with the hybrid miniatures/CG helicopter.

But yes, one gets the feeling the opening chase was just tough to one-up against in this picture.

Agreed that Severine was under-used. But that's because they had "scope inversion" and suddenly they were going to NOT use the villain's lair in the way some of us think it should have been used so she had to go....
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 11 November 2012   #43
I don't get the love for the pre-title sequence either. They must spend about the last 3min with Craig being held directly in front of the other guy atop the train, without any blows or kicks or anything else happening. The thing is, this is one part of the movie where they did a ton of previs so this issue should have been seen up front and easily avoided, both with the 2nd unit and with the bits done with Craig.
__________________
"achievement is its own reward -- pride obscures it."

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS
 
Old 11 November 2012   #44
Originally Posted by trevanian: I don't get the love for the pre-title sequence either. They must spend about the last 3min with Craig being held directly in front of the other guy atop the train, without any blows or kicks or anything else happening. The thing is, this is one part of the movie where they did a ton of previs so this issue should have been seen up front and easily avoided, both with the 2nd unit and with the bits done with Craig.


I didn't have a problem with that, but I did have a problem with the sniper not taking a second shot to get Patrice in spite of the fact that she was carrying a K23B (AR-15 derivative) with long magazine (so she could have taken multiple shots after she fumbled the first).

Source:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Skyfall
Warning: the above weapons list contains spoilers.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 11 November 2012   #45
The cinematography was great and i found the direction was good too. But:

1) i'm not a huge fan of Craig as Bond he has not the "charme" and irony Bond should have in many occasions. This being said, only Connery was great in that.

2) they underused the bond girls especially the "evil" one could be way more dangerous for Bond.

what i thought was: if this was not a Bond film it would be a good spy/action movie
__________________
Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
.::Creating for you::.
www.lwita.com
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.