Official: ScreenWriter chosen for Star Wars VII

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #46
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: This sounds a lot like Mara Jade. Her story is mostly written but Lucas' philosophy in the past has always been, "If its not on film, then its not canon."

But I totally agree on "reducing the number of colored laser sticks." Another thing that needs to be toned down is the number of running story lines. Starting with RotJ there were 3 storylines going at the same time. It made sense in that one because it had been building for 3 movies but then in Phantom, there it is again with the Queens attack on the castle, Qui-gon and Obi-wan vs. Darth Maul, the Droid/Gungan battle and Anikan in the space battle. Too much story going on at once to really build any one thing. I'm hoping Ep VII starts slow again and builds up.

Yeah, exactly... My personal term for it is "ramping".. the concept that you have to ease the audience from ground level so that they can gradually accept more and more action and "events" because it's too jarring just to throw it at them.

I think it's the right time to bring back the original characters as well.

Some really narrow-minded fans reacted like: "Why would we want to see Mark Hammill again? He's fat and old now! LOLZ".

But if Old Mark Hammill appears gruff, and he's wearing something like that black robe he had in the intro to ROTJ and he's telling a new young character about the Force... and it's all new again....and he talks about it like it was so long ago?

He uses vague language like: "It was a more dangerous time. Much like the times that lie ahead. I have seen this."

And you have to wait around 20 - 30 minutes into the picture before the first lightsaber is fired up (by Luke Skywalker no less)...

It'll work.

Old 11 November 2012   #47
I'm all for bringing back the old guys. That said, if they went with younger actors, Sarah Silverman would be perfect as Leia or Leia's daughter. Gutsy, funny and cute.

Old 11 November 2012   #48
^ I think Sarah Silverman is great but I think I'd spend the whole movie waiting for her to say something filthy.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 11 November 2012   #49
Originally Posted by Horganovski: ^ I think Sarah Silverman is great but I think I'd spend the whole movie waiting for her to say something filthy.

Cheers,
Brian

Exactly, she's already a freedom fighter before she says a single word.

I'd put Ian McShane in there somewhere too, channeling his bad guy from Sexy Beast.

Old 11 November 2012   #50
Saw him just today on twitter fending off questions like a Jedi blocking blaster shots, but Brad Bird has said unequivocally that he is not doing Ep 7.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...rad-bird-391727

Really interested in "1952" even if Lindelof is involved, because I know Bird wouldn't let anything as bad as Prometheus slip past him.

Old 11 November 2012   #51
Brad Bird has confirmed via twitter he will not be directing the new star wars.

edit: Above poster already covered it ^

Old 11 November 2012   #52
Originally Posted by kelgy: If Spielberg does it that would be interesting because of all the candidates he's the only one who would be able to make decisions that may counter a Lucas idea and get away with it. The others would probably be abject slaves in Lucas' presence.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lucas is retired. He will not be involved in these new movies. I suspect he may be consulted at best, but the Clone Wars series proves that Star Wars can live well without him. (and I am FAN by the way, a huge fan, far from the Lucas haters)

OMG! He ain't coming back!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Last edited by teruchan : 11 November 2012 at 06:03 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #53
Originally Posted by teruchan: Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lucas is retired. He will not be involved in these new movies.

Its already been indicated he's talking with the old cast--that means he is involved even if he is retired.

Old 11 November 2012   #54
Spielberg would bend to Lucas's will more than anyone. Look at Indiana Jones, Lucas convinced him to make it about aliens even though Spielberg didn't want to... talking about forfeiting your movie.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 11 November 2012   #55
Time ran out. It was either that or nothing so Spielberg and Ford decided they would rather make it than do nothing. They resisted for a decade or so because they disliked the idea so much.

Younger directors would either be in some kind of awe because its the creator of Star Wars or if they are combative wouldnt likely be chosen in the first place.
Spielberg is the only one likely to be able to influence him, even though he wasnt very successful at it.

But dont know what Lucas is planning in turns of how much control he has turned over to others.
Maybe more than I assume.

Old 11 November 2012   #56
Originally Posted by kelgy: But dont know what Lucas is planning in turns of how much control he has turned over to others.
Maybe more than I assume.

He's supposed to remain on as "consultant", the way they've talked about sounds like it is just to make sure no one does anything too stupid/crazy..but I don't even think he's in a producer role or anything, it really does sound like he wants to hand most of the responsibility off.

I just wonder if his need to fiddle with things will let him stay backed off enough, or if the new creatives will end up giving in to HIS stupid/crazy ideas again.

Old 11 November 2012   #57
Originally Posted by hypercube: He's supposed to remain on as "consultant", the way they've talked about sounds like it is just to make sure no one does anything too stupid/crazy..but I don't even think he's in a producer role or anything, it really does sound like he wants to hand most of the responsibility off.

I just wonder if his need to fiddle with things will let him stay backed off enough, or if the new creatives will end up giving in to HIS stupid/crazy ideas again.

I just find it funny that he'll be quality control.... George Lucas... quality control, for star wars...

Look he's a great guy but his advice should pretty much be ignored when it comes to these movies.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 11 November 2012   #58
Originally Posted by Michael5188: I just find it funny that he'll be quality control.... George Lucas... quality control, for star wars...

Look he's a great guy but his advice should pretty much be ignored when it comes to these movies.

Yes, his direction famously used to be "Faster, more intense", at some point changed to "Boring, more boring. Much more boring. Flatter, less interesting."

We'll see, in the end that's really all we can do, is see.

Old 11 November 2012   #59
WHOA!
Disney/Lucasfilm Hire Lawrence Kasdan And Simon Kinberg To Write And Produce Future STAR WARS Installments!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...an-simon-393459
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11 November 2012   #60
Excited about Kasdan, but then I remember this..

Hopefully this isn't the new Kasdan but the old Kasdan.

Thread Closed share thread