Official: ScreenWriter chosen for Star Wars VII

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11 November 2012   #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgy
He has the focus on visuals and audio that Hitchcock had but minus the command of story and character, thus he couldnt succeed with Amazing Stories the way Hitchcock did.


I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Spielberg's better movies all have a memorable storyline, a good script, engaging dialogue, good editing, cinematography and VFX, and pretty distinct, well-acted, and well-developed main characters.

Were the characters in "Saving Private Ryan", for example, not distinct? Each soldier character in that film, to me, was very different from the other soldiers characters in some way, even though at the end of the day they were all "little soldiers" stuck in a "really big war".

Spielberg has a particularly good "touch" when it comes to child actors, young actors, and scenes depicting family ties (mother, father & children interacting)

Hitchcock? Sure, he was a real master of the Thriller/Horror genre.

Spielberg, to me, has more "range" than Hitchcock as a director though.

Every major Spielberg film turns out different from the last.

Even the cinematography and visual language and pacing changes a lot between his films.

I personally think that Spielberg is strangely "underappreciated" as a director, given his long track record of mostly "good" and "watcheable" films.
 
Old 11 November 2012   #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
...
I personally think that Spielberg is strangely "underappreciated" as a director, given his long track record of mostly "good" and "watcheable" films.


Probably because he made highly successful, wide appeal movies (E.T., Jurassic Park, Raiders etc)
 
Old 11 November 2012   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Spielberg's better movies all have a memorable storyline, a good script, engaging dialogue, good editing, cinematography and VFX, and pretty distinct, well-acted, and well-developed main characters.


Well I think it depends on how many other movies you watch. Its not something one might not notice unless you watch a lot of movies and perhaps its a cultural thing.
I see the hollowness in Spielberg's movies because he avoids the type of conflicts that other directors such as Hitchcock did naturally.
He himself said he hates to kill a character he builds audience sympathy for which severely limits the dramatic range in a story--and in the cases that he does it after Sugarland Express its debatable how much sympathy he builds for the character and how much comes from John Williams' music which is generally used to cue audience emotion in his films.
Whatever the case Spielberg was unable to create memorable stories for television while Hitchcock did so without problem.
 
Old 11 November 2012   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
Steven Spielberg, in my opinion, is "plenty good" as a SciFi director.

Have you never seen "AI", "Minority Report" or "War of the Worlds" by him?

I thought that each of these films was an excellent effort in its own way.

Spielberg, imho, has still got what it takes to direct cracking good SciFi material.

.All he needs is a really good Star Wars script to drive a good, involving, emotional story...

My 2 Cents


That and "Lincoln". I think when "Lincoln" finally gets around people will be back voting for him to take STAR WARS.

They'll also market it as "Unfinished business". They'll do a featurette where Steven will say he had ideas for "Return of the Jedi" until the director's guild stepped in. hehehe.

And George will support it.. making it real.

The main reason I want Spielberg to take it is that he's good at making a film through the child's eyes. STAR WARS Ep 7 will no doubt be the start of a new trilogy with a new idealistic hero. And for that you need the "gee-wiz" factor.

That and Steven is one of few directors who can say which bits from material after Ep.6 he wants to use and no one will stop him. This gives us hope that we don't need to follow to the letter that which is already written - so STAR WARS can be new again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgy
I see the hollowness in Spielberg's movies because he avoids the type of conflicts that other directors such as Hitchcock did naturally.
He himself said he hates to kill a character he builds audience sympathy for which severely limits the dramatic range in a story--and in the cases that he does it after Sugarland Express its debatable how much sympathy he builds for the character and how much comes from John Williams' music which is generally used to cue audience emotion in his films.


That's the point really, Spielberg's ace is always that he has a natural bias for "what will get the audience by the seat of their pants". He's the Porsche of motion pictures. He creates product. He's far from the Ferrari of the business.

Oh and he'll have John Williams on score anyway. So.... it's all win.

If there's anything STAR WARS needs to be to get reinvigorated... It needs an Episode 7 that audiences will love simply for being fun and having that sense-of-wonder again.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 11 November 2012 at 12:23 AM.
 
Old 11 November 2012   #35
Spielberg already passed on it. Really think it's a moot point. If I'm going to campaign for anyone, it would be Bird.

I'd only want the Spielberg that made JAWS or even Close Encounters, who has said that he simply wouldn't make those movies the same way now because he has had kids, or softened with age.

I think just like the energy in the first Star Wars came from a young intense director, that's what would work to bring energy back to the series.

A lot of the young directors I like tend towards strange cerebral stuff but some of them could probably swing for the fences on this and make something great.
 
Old 11 November 2012   #36
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012...-star-wars-film

Well it would seem the front-runner is now Matthew Vaughn ("X-Men: First Class").

Maybe..... yeah.. maybe...
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 11 November 2012   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Well it would seem the front-runner is now Matthew Vaughn ("X-Men: First Class").

Maybe..... yeah.. maybe...


I think with a tight script he could do a pretty smashing job..A few wonky things aside, First Class was great I thought, and I think that could be blamed on the script if anything, and choices of a few of the lamer mutants. Really let the actors and characters shine though.
 
Old 11 November 2012   #38
Didnt like First Class though he probably could do a decent enough job with a Star Wars film if someone else controls the casting.
Main faults I found in First Class besides the "women in their underwear" script was the choice of actors playing the younger mutants. Xavier was best-no problem there-typical UK classical trained actor with screen presence, Magneto was ok but not really an equivalent in charm to McKellan, and maybe the guy playing Hank McCoy.
The rest playing the young mutants were incredibly uncharismatic performers. I had been watching a lot of pre-2000 movies before I watched it and it was a shocking change in acting quality. They sounded like they were doing a high school play. Maybe it was script--I hope so.

The older actors like Bacon were like night and day in comparison--and the woman playing the ice crystal woman--dammit--no personality whatsoever. Painful. She needed to watch Ursa in Superman 2 for some pointers on real acting for such a character.

I have seen much younger actors with much more charisma than those young mutants.
 
Old 11 November 2012   #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgy
Didnt like First Class though he probably could do a decent enough job with a Star Wars film if someone else controls the casting.
Main faults I found in First Class besides the "women in their underwear" script was the choice of actors playing the younger mutants. Xavier was best-no problem there-typical UK classical trained actor with screen presence, Magneto was ok but not really an equivalent in charm to McKellan, and maybe the guy playing Hank McCoy.
The rest playing the young mutants were incredibly uncharismatic performers. I had been watching a lot of pre-2000 movies before I watched it and it was a shocking change in acting quality. They sounded like they were doing a high school play. Maybe it was script--I hope so.

The older actors like Bacon were like night and day in comparison--and the woman playing the ice crystal woman--dammit--no personality whatsoever. Painful. She needed to watch Ursa in Superman 2 for some pointers on real acting for such a character.

I have seen much younger actors with much more charisma than those young mutants.


I'm a big fan of Fassbender, I thought he was a great Magneto..I could have watched a whole movie of the beginning segment with him as a super powered hitman / revenge killer.

January Jones IS a fembot, I think. Her character in Mad Men is supposed to be a disconnected icy bitch, but it seems like that's all she's capable of. Hated her in First Class.

And yeah Bacon was definitely full of personality and very natural, even if he was a little over the top, it suited him.

I do agree a lot of the younger mutants lacked though..but I do wonder if they were given enough to do, or maybe the focus was (as usual) so much on Charles and Erik that they were an afterthought.
 
Old 11 November 2012   #40
The hair styles and fashion sense was really ahead of the times too.

But I liked the Wolverine scene.
 
Old 11 November 2012   #41
I heard Michael Bay is in for the job.

[/omg no]
 
Old 11 November 2012   #42
Aside from a perfect director, what I think the series could really use is a female protaganist. There would be so much new ground to cover, also it would be nice to break from the "magical chosen one" trope. Invincible badasses are incredibly boring.

Any other thoughts on what it should actually contain?
__________________
Chris Smallfield
Freelance VFX Supervisor / Artist, Berlin
portfolio: http://www.chrissmallfield.com
 
Old 11 November 2012   #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmallfield
Aside from a perfect director, what I think the series could really use is a female protaganist. There would be so much new ground to cover, also it would be nice to break from the "magical chosen one" trope. Invincible badasses are incredibly boring.

Any other thoughts on what it should actually contain?


Jaina Solo
__________________
The Z-Axis
 
Old 11 November 2012   #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
The other thing is I think Ep 7 will be a LOT like Ep 4 in that we have to be on a NEW desolate planet and we meet another character. If they're clever.. the Empire/Sith are the "Rebels" this time, and Luke is playing the Obi-Wan character... forgotten on some desolate world... but the Sith danger is about to re-appear.

They HAVE to go back to "reducing the number of colored laser sticks"... basically reel it back in so that we're back to a time when being a Jedi was special. Everybody has to be back in a time (in the story) when the Force was just a "legend" - and the Sith, just a "superstition".

Much of Ep 7 HAS to be about "getting the gang back together" around this new character (and how there will be "new friends and new foes".

It could be amazing.

This sounds a lot like Mara Jade. Her story is mostly written but Lucas' philosophy in the past has always been, "If its not on film, then its not canon."

But I totally agree on "reducing the number of colored laser sticks." Another thing that needs to be toned down is the number of running story lines. Starting with RotJ there were 3 storylines going at the same time. It made sense in that one because it had been building for 3 movies but then in Phantom, there it is again with the Queens attack on the castle, Qui-gon and Obi-wan vs. Darth Maul, the Droid/Gungan battle and Anikan in the space battle. Too much story going on at once to really build any one thing. I'm hoping Ep VII starts slow again and builds up.
__________________
HMC: Model Collection
WIP: Harris Nut House
WIP: WarCraft Troll
wyattharris.com Dig it!
 
Old 11 November 2012   #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
Michael Arndt, who won the Oscar for "Little Miss Sunshine" and also wrote "Toy Story 3"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he..._medium=twitter

Pretty excited by the possibilities..he definitely is great with characters and strong emotional moments.

There's buzz about trying to pair him up with Brad Bird, but that sounds like some amazing pipe dream. Still, can you imagine that?

Here is a longer article about Arndt and him talking about screenwriting and why the climax of the original Star Wars was so excellent:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/star...its-writer.html


The reason why I'm not excited by this is because of how Star Trek: Nemesis was hyped up over (John?) Logan - who wrote Gladiator- wrote it... and that film was almost the worst of the bunch.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.