Official: ScreenWriter chosen for Star Wars VII

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #16
Off course I've seen them, you apparently never watched Darabont's movies, and I suggest you do, it's far better character development. Anyway all of those movies were made a decade ago, AI was started by far greater director Stanley Cubrick, War of the Worlds is lame and Minority Report probably peak of his carrier, yet it was made long time ago, last several movies were very imho unwatchable with all due respect.
In any case I don't hate Spielberg, Minority Report and Catch me if you can are amongst the best movies I ever watched, I just share others opinion and that is that he lost his touch, after all he is almost 70, if you want fresh start you need fresh blood.

Last edited by LuckyBug : 11 November 2012 at 02:03 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #17
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: I just share others opinion and that is that he lost his touch, after all he is almost 70, if you want fresh start you need fresh blood.

The thing I like most about Spielberg is that even his "weakest movies" are still of a "very watcheable" quality. They are better movies, in other words, than most supposedly "good" movies made by other directors.

I don't agree that he has "lost his touch". I think that Spielberg still has game.

Restarting Star Wars with Spielberg at the helm would, in my opinion, be a very interesting choice.

It might make for a Star Wars film that is more than a "children's movie set in outer space", as Lucas's efforts are often described...

My 2 Cents

Old 11 November 2012   #18
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: Off course I've seen them, you apparently never watched Darabont's movies, and I suggest you do, it's far better character development. Anyway all of those movies were made a decade ago, AI was started by far greater director Stanley Cubrick, War of the Worlds is lame and Minority Report probably peak of his carrier, yet it was made long time ago, last several movies were very imho unwatchable with all due respect.
In any case I don't hate Spielberg, Minority Report and Catch me if you can are amongst the best movies I ever watched, I just share others opinion and that is that he lost his touch, after all he is almost 70, if you want fresh start you need fresh blood.

Though Darabont directed some pretty great flicks, he's most certainly not FAR better at character development than Spielberg is. I dont see what The Mist, Shawshank or Green Mile had so much more in that regard than Jaws, Close Encounters, Shindler's List, Color Purple, Munich, The Terminal, Catch Me, Amistad or Duel. Nor that I find Kubrick a FAR greater director. Spielberg did make some less memorable movies for the simple fact that he directed 3 times more films than Kubrick.

Last edited by vlad : 11 November 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #19
Well I would like to see what Joss Whedon would do with star wars

Old 11 November 2012   #20
@DePaint
I couldnt sit through last Indiana Jones, War Horse and Tintin ( to some point even Munich was terribly sliw ) that never happend before, so my 2 cents are give it to someone younger.
He is not the only one and certenly not the best though he is a legend, I would agree to you if we are talking 90's but now not likely.

Last edited by LuckyBug : 11 November 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #21
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: I couldnt sit through last Indiana Jones, War Horse and Tintin ( to some point even Munich was terribly sliw )

Tintin was pretty good imo. Very enjoyable, and technically nothing short of excellent. War Horse was "meh" - not terribly good, not terribly bad either. Average. Probably a "feelgood movie" Spielberg made for his kids & nephews.

I didn't see Indy IV. Munich was seriously good imo. I remember being quite impressed with it when I saw it.

There is good buzz about Spielberg's latest, "Lincoln". Its got a 88% score on Metacritic, and you can't go very wrong with Daniel Day Lewis in the lead.

I think that Spielberg could do Star Wars VII just fine. Maybe not the whole trilogy. But definitely the 1st film of the new trilogy.

I don't know why you think Spielberg has "lost his touch".

I think that he's still one of the best directors living & making movies.

Old 11 November 2012   #22
As a Tintin fan, and I can show you my personal collection it was point blank, technically impressive but we are not talking about that.
It's same as lets say Michael Jordan, he is probably the best basketball player ever, but we cannot keep him on the court forever.
And the real question for you is why not giving a chance to someone younger why are you pushing only Spielberg, I can only hear fanboyism there ?

Old 11 November 2012   #23
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: As a Tintin fan, and I can show you my personal collection it was point blank, technically impressive but we are not talking about that.
It's same as lets say Michael Jordan, he is probably the best basketball player ever, but we cannot keep him on the court forever.
And the real question for you is why not giving a chance to someone younger why are you pushing only Spielberg, I can only hear fanboyism there ?

Sorry to be blunt, but that's a totally stupid analogy. How can you possibly compare professional full contact sports with movie directing? So at what age should a painter stop painting? A novelist's work becomes irrelevant at 50? Musicians should stop playing at 65? What about VFX artists? Architects? etc. And DePaint only said he would see Spielberg doing it, which is IMO legitimate enough considering his record. I dont see any reason to call him a fanboy...

Old 11 November 2012   #24
The point is that at some point in time younger and stronger should take the burden. There is like hundreds of talented directors that are still waiting for their chance, and I believe that some of them can do much better job.

Old 11 November 2012   #25
Originally Posted by vlad: Sorry to be blunt, but that's a totally stupid analogy. How can you possibly compare professional full contact sports with movie directing? So at what age should a painter stop painting? A novelist's work becomes irrelevant at 50? Musicians should stop playing at 65? What about VFX artists? Architects? etc. And DePaint only said he would see Spielberg doing it, which is IMO legitimate enough considering his record. I dont see any reason to call him a fanboy...

Painters: age 62, or after their first million.
Novelists: 65
Vfx artist: 36
Architects: 56

I love and respect Spielberg's work, but he's got his own thing going. I am sure he wouldn't ruin Star Wars, and his talent isn't in question, but to me there just seems to be nothing about him or his recent work that makes me think " yah i want to see Star Wars interpretted through the eyes of Speilberg" he's part of the Brat pack like Lucas, so he'd likely make it like the old ones, but probably not as good, because the old ones already exist. I wouldn't Want Zemeckis for the same reason.

It's a bit like when I was a kid. I would write stories and then think about movie versions of them. I was always casting Micheal J Fox in the lead role, partially because I was 7 and he was the only actor I knew the name of, and partially because he was the first good actor that I could relate to. I thought he was good, so therefore for my movie to be good it needed him.

I want to stress that I am not calling DePaint a child or wrong or anything, just that he must see something in Speilberg that I don't. Becuase in my eyes Spielberg is that same Michael J Fox choice. He is a good director so therefore to be good it needs him. That choice, for me, would be lacking any reason why Spielberg's vision would be better than countless other directors that I think would add a more interesting flavor than him. Just my opinion.

Old 11 November 2012   #26
ridley scott, that will be your final redeem

Old 11 November 2012   #27
A.i

Spielberg already said no, but I personally choose him.

A.I is one of my favorite film. For what it worth. Tintin was dumbed down to target more kids. But still okay in my view. Haven't seen Lincoln yet.

But if he can manage Star Wars just like he manage A.I, that would be great.

Old 11 November 2012   #28
Christopher Nolan should direct it. Bring some darkness to that shiz.

Old 11 November 2012   #29
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: And the real question for you is why not giving a chance to someone younger why are you pushing only Spielberg, I can only hear fanboyism there ?

I happen to think that Spielberg is one of the Top 5 best living directors, and that he would probably do a very good job with Star Wars VII.

I don't really see what is wrong with thinking that?

The fact that he's an old friend and collaborator of George Lucas, and knows the material well doesn't hurt.

Sure, there are other good, working directors out there. Scott. Fincher. Cuaron. Malick. Nolan.

I cast my personal vote for Spielberg, because I think he could - potentially - do a great job with Star Wars.

Feel free to disagree...

Old 11 November 2012   #30
I think Spielberg is the only one who could persuade Lucas to do something differently-then again GL was pretty stubborn with Indiana Jones 4 and Spielberg had to finally do what he wanted.
He also tries to be a crowd pleaser and would probably seek to emulate the style of SW and ESB if he could.

But I appreciate Spielberg movies less as I get older. I think Richard Donner or John Carpenter have been more solid in directing genre films in their prime, while Spielberg doesnt care as much about character and theme and only seemed to take it seriously before the 80s on a couple of work for hire projects and much later when he was adapting Kubrick, Dick, and Wells but it still felt hollow and not really sincere.
He has the focus on visuals and audio that Hitchcock had but minus the command of story and character, thus he couldnt succeed with Amazing Stories the way Hitchcock did.

Thread Closed share thread