Official: ScreenWriter chosen for Star Wars VII

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Official: ScreenWriter chosen for Star Wars VII

Michael Arndt, who won the Oscar for "Little Miss Sunshine" and also wrote "Toy Story 3"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he..._medium=twitter

Pretty excited by the possibilities..he definitely is great with characters and strong emotional moments.

There's buzz about trying to pair him up with Brad Bird, but that sounds like some amazing pipe dream. Still, can you imagine that?

Here is a longer article about Arndt and him talking about screenwriting and why the climax of the original Star Wars was so excellent:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/star...its-writer.html

Last edited by hypercube : 11 November 2012 at 01:47 AM.

11 November 2012
Star Wars with strong, emotional story? Sounds great... hope it would target adults and not small children :(

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Vulture Magazine: ...We're told that Arndt's 40-something page treatment will soon be crossing the desks of top directors, including Brad Bird, Steven Spielberg (the former producing partner of Lucasfilm co-chair Kathleen Kennedy), and J.J. Abrams....

I CALLED IT!

And if it's good? I bet Spielberg gets first dibs at it (but Abrams will be in the running too).
No offence to Brad Bird, but if the other two choices are the director of "STAR TREK" and the most successful director of all time? Well.... that's not good odds.

So far, encouraging news indeed.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 11 November 2012 at 03:08 AM.

11 November 2012
If Spielberg does it that would be interesting because of all the candidates he's the only one who would be able to make decisions that may counter a Lucas idea and get away with it. The others would probably be abject slaves in Lucas' presence.

About the Insanely Great Ending I think Arndt gives the writer too much credit--it was the nature of the location-- a trench in space, and Williams' music that helped sell that scene in a big way.
If it had been an Old West location with a cynical gunfighter helping to take out the bad guys so the young gun can rely on faith in the words of his dead mentor to take the shot that saves the day it probably would have felt hokey or at least far less of an impact.
Still-this is one of the more interesting items to follow in movie news and will be interesting to see how it develops.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by kelgy: If Spielberg does it that would be interesting because of all the candidates he's the only one who would be able to make decisions that may counter a Lucas idea and get away with it. The others would probably be abject slaves in Lucas' presence.

About the Insanely Great Ending I think Arndt gives the writer too much credit--it was the nature of the location-- a trench in space, and Williams' music that helped sell that scene in a big way.
If it had been an Old West location with a cynical gunfighter helping to take out the bad guys so the young gun can rely on faith in the words of his dead mentor to take the shot that saves the day it probably would have felt hokey or at least far less of an impact.
Still-this is one of the more interesting items to follow in movie news and will be interesting to see how it develops.

I honestly think the ending of Ep IV was kind of great, but it was great for Han Solo... and at the abject expense of everyone else.

I don't know if people recall, but Han Solo topped every popularity poll after STAR WARS came out. Because of all the actions to resolution characters took, Solo made the one that had the biggest emotional pull (given his onscreen charisma), he did that classic: "Screw it! I AM a good guy! Let's go save the day!" kinda feel-good thing.

It was HIS ending really.

The other thing is I think Ep 7 will be a LOT like Ep 4 in that we have to be on a NEW desolate planet and we meet another character. If they're clever.. the Empire/Sith are the "Rebels" this time, and Luke is playing the Obi-Wan character... forgotten on some desolate world... but the Sith danger is about to re-appear.

They HAVE to go back to "reducing the number of colored laser sticks"... basically reel it back in so that we're back to a time when being a Jedi was special. Everybody has to be back in a time (in the story) when the Force was just a "legend" - and the Sith, just a "superstition".

Much of Ep 7 HAS to be about "getting the gang back together" around this new character (and how there will be "new friends and new foes".

It could be amazing.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 11 November 2012 at 03:45 AM.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I CALLED IT!

And if it's good? I bet Spielberg gets first dibs at it (but Abrams will be in the running too).
No offence to Brad Bird, but if the other two choices are the director of "STAR TREK" and the most successful director of all time? Well.... that's not good odds.

So far, encouraging news indeed.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/25...-down-star-wars

Thankful that all of them mentioned are staying away from it, really. Snyder is a toolbag and Tarantino would make it a 70's space movie about women's feet.

Spielberg is great but he doesn't have the sensibility for it anymore, I think. It shouldn't be about momentous closeups and swelling music. It needs to be energetic. The action in Crystal Skull was for the most part, terrible.

And Abrams, as gifted as he is, has not got a gift for ending movies. Obviously don't need so much of an ending in a trilogy, but I think Trek is one of the few movies he HAS ended successfully. Mission Impossible 2 counts, I guess. But otherwise, shrug.

Bird would be amazing, I feel. But there are others who can do it justice. I think they could even get someone who is just skilled but not a huge name. Need to have a gamble-to-payoff ratio as high as Whedon's Avengers. Just handled well top to bottom.

11 November 2012
Darth Vader topped the popularity polls after Star Wars came out if I remember correctly.

Its partly Solo's ending but its still told through Luke's eyes. If the role had gone to William Katt it would have been harder for the audience to identify with the story since Katt is much like Ford and Fisher-has a smart aleck delivery which Hamill did not have.
He was the perfect choice I think.
They could have made the sequels focus more on the space western side of things instead of the wandering knight. The story was open ended before ESB.

I guess it was to be expected with Spielberg.
I dont see how its an enviable job for anyone because of the baggage it comes with as mentioned in the original article.

11 November 2012
As long as they do a pre-screening with the guy from RedLetterMedia who did all the thorough reviews, they should be good!

"I mean, is everyone in this movie dumb AND stupid? Which brings me to my next point...
Number 3: Is Everyone In This Movie Dumb AND Stupid?"

11 November 2012
A screenwriter for Star Wars, that's got to be a first...

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I CALLED IT!

I think Disney is smarter than to choose either Speilberg or Abrams. I love them both, but Speilberg is on the verge of retirement and hardly the person to breath freshness into the franchise and as you mentioned, Abrams did Star Trek, it's just too close, he's got that franchise to deal with, why give him another similar one? He's too busy producing tv at the moment I think.

They need to go after someone young, talented, fresh. They need to do the same thing that they have done with the writer, go after someone making unique movies that focus on characters not blockbusters or effects (ILM can handle that aspect).

I would love to see them go more along the lines of Duncan Jones, Joe Cornish, or Josh Trank and Max Landis, even Neil Blomkamp would be interesting. Someone savvy enough to push it into new places, hungry enough to give it their all and someone knowledgable enough and respectful enough of the fanbase and culture to glue it all together.

I could see Brad Bird doing it, but I don't think it would be the most inspired choice. Phantom Protical didn't blow me away.

11 November 2012
If I had a vote in this, I would cast it for:

1) Steven Spielberg. He's still very much "got game" in my opinion, and is good with emotional content. Imo, he could do EP7, then hand over to someone else.

2) David Fincher. The Se7en & FightClub & Alien 3 director paired with Star Wars material = Major Win, imo.

3) Alfonso Cuaron. Did a brilliant job with "Children of Men". Could create a grittier Star Wars that is very, very different from the "slightly childish" George Lucas version.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by paintbox: As long as they do a pre-screening with the guy from RedLetterMedia who did all the thorough reviews, they should be good!

You may be joking but I would have sooo much more hope for this movie if he did read the script and turned in a revision, they went with his changes, and he approved.

Seriously, hollywood needs more level headed, common sense in their scripts.

www.MichaelSime.com

11 November 2012
I am wondering if they are going to go and pick a story from the "official" storyline followed in the books or make up some new sort of story arc. The books offer a lot more promise and are a lot better in terms of describing, for example, why there are different color light sabers, whereas the movies just throw them together onscreen and it just looks garish.

In the books you get detailed more detailed treatment of various planets and species within this huge galaxy that star wars took place in. You get a lot more character development and emotional development. And the story itself goes into a much more "esoteric" place introducing things like sentient planets and group think that I don't think could be handled except in the hands of a very good team of script writers, directors and FX artists.

Episodes 4 - 7 were good precisely because they focused on the character development of those characters that mattered most and the other places and locations were very well grafted into that overall story. Eps 1 - 3 failed because they had no serious character development and there was nothing to really get attached to. You never really got the pain and torment of Anakin and the nefarious "cloudy" dark side just didn't seem believable as most of the key plot points were so obvious that it shouldn't have taken an ounce of "force sensing" to see something was rotten in the senate. To me it seemed more like a script dumbed down for 3 year olds made to sell toys as opposed to good story telling and science fiction like the first three. And the character development just was not there. I mean that whole general grievous was a waste... You mean this cyborg didn't have fake force like powers as a result of a cybernetic network link with all other cyborgs, mechanical entities in his army?

11 November 2012
IMHO Spileberg is out of game, I would like to see Frank Darabont on helm, for me the best director in Hollywood but he wouldn't probably see himself in such project.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: IMHO Spileberg is out of game

Steven Spielberg, in my opinion, is "plenty good" as a SciFi director.

Have you never seen "AI", "Minority Report" or "War of the Worlds" by him?

I thought that each of these films was an excellent effort in its own way.

Spielberg, imho, has still got what it takes to direct cracking good SciFi material.

.All he needs is a really good Star Wars script to drive a good, involving, emotional story...

My 2 Cents

Thread Closed share thread