World War Z trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #61
Originally Posted by Dillster: Personally I think Brad Pitt is better for this. He looks leaner and fitter for a start, and is probably more suited for rough and tough roles. If this was a thinking mans zombie film, I might prefer Leonardo for the role.

Well that's kind of the point, the book is a thinking man's zombie story, the main character isn't even out fighting zombies, he's interviewing survivors. So, just supposed to be sympathetic one on one discussions as far as his part, and the other characters do the heavy stuff.

Which really either actor could do, but apparently Brad's ego was such that he had to be everything and completely turn the story upside down.

P.S. Also not sure if Third Floor was in on it too but Halon did a massive amount of pre and post vis for this (I was in on post), and don't give any of them the blame for the concepts of the shots, everybody just makes the director's wishes

Old 11 November 2012   #62
Originally Posted by hypercube: ...and don't give any of them the blame for the concepts of the shots,....

Blame? All I'm seeing is some very cool stuff. I'll be tipping my hat in their general direction, that's for sure.

Now. I must read the book just to see what all the fuss is about.

Old 11 November 2012   #63
Haven't read the book the book yet, but I must say I'm a little bit intrigued of how the movie is going to be. I mean, we already have seen fast Zombies. But never in these masses; climbing on top of each other like an unstoppable army of ants.

Old 11 November 2012   #64
Originally Posted by Lunatique: What's enticing about this genre isn't the zombies alone--it's the fact that there's always a post-apocalyptic scenario attached

Or the fact that the real monsters in these stories are sometimes not zombies - but other living human beings.

Originally Posted by Dillster: That bothers me. I mean there is what looks like a mile-long traffic jam in all lanes behind him and we don't hear the truck crashing into them before it hits the officer. It's like the truck came out of nowhere and manages to kill the officer while miraculously missing everything behind him.

I think they were going for a "jump-scare". Your issue with it can be easily corrected with more audio cue in the left channel (even if the images and edit remain exactly the same). But gags like this are one of those things that make film very different from books.

It also takes a different "eye" to see this kind of gag working as many people who are sort of used to working 100% realistically cannot "see" this kind of gag. It shows the director is working with his imagination.

Old 11 November 2012   #65
As someone who doesn't know about WWZ besides the trailer, i don't know why the zombies are so fast (thought 28 days/weeks were the only exceptions to the slow ones stereotype), and the piling up scenes looked too artificial,basically due to the speed of the animation. Not saying they should take 10 hours to pile up and rise but it reminded me of that indian movie where the guy multiplies and turns into a giant snake/robot/ball etc.lol ("Enthiran" i think)

My guess is that its hard to achieve "realism" in that particular kind of movement with crowd generators?

Last edited by Ethervoid : 11 November 2012 at 10:45 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #66
Originally Posted by hypercube: P.S. Also not sure if Third Floor was in on it too but Halon did a massive amount of pre and post vis for this (I was in on post), and don't give any of them the blame for the concepts of the shots, everybody just makes the director's wishes

Framestore's Art Dept. worked on the concepts for about a year, give or take.

Last edited by DutchDimension : 11 November 2012 at 03:24 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #67
Originally Posted by hypercube: Well that's kind of the point, the book is a thinking man's zombie story, the main character isn't even out fighting zombies, he's interviewing survivors. So, just supposed to be sympathetic one on one discussions as far as his part, and the other characters do the heavy stuff...

That's where I'm at a disadvantage, never having read the book or really been aware of it before this thread. I might read it soon...

Old 11 November 2012   #68
Ok, movie is delayed because of it´s lacking quality.

So the trailer.., i hope it was just a bad edit*.

*Second 0:36, very first action:
In less then 1,5 seconds, a heavy garbage truck comes from behind at FULL speed right around a corner 20 meters backwards of "Pitt" (no straight nor free streets there). Crushing throu the total car-blocked streets, without causing sounds, getting damage, getting redirected or slowered down by crushing other cars or just by turning around a corner before as a "Mamut", just to shock-crush a poor, helping C.H.I.P., right beside our hero? Ok, never expected realism at all - because it´s a zombie movie but.. Oh my..

Old 11 November 2012   #69
Originally Posted by Bjur: In less then 1,5 seconds, a heavy garbage truck comes from behind at FULL speed right around a corner 20 meters backwards of "Pitt" (no straight nor free streets there). Crushing throu the total car-blocked streets, without causing sounds, getting damage, getting redirected or slowered down by crushing other cars or just by turning around a corner before as a "Mamut", just to shock-crush a poor, helping C.H.I.P., right beside our hero?.

Yes I mentioned that a few days ago in post 46 of this thread. It bothered me that the truck just comes from nowhere apparently silently and missing everything behind the cop before wiping him out. Very poor continuity or whatever it's called. Can't see how it will cause a delay in the film, already it is a long way off next June!

Old 11 November 2012   #70
The garbage truck is using that movie stealth that is only possible when you pay off the sound designer.

The T-Rex used it in the end scene of Jurassic Park to sneak up on the Raptors.

Old 11 November 2012   #71
And Cloverfield, after the heli crash, to sneak up through Central Park unnoticed even by jets or the characters, also used that guy

Old 11 November 2012   #72
The running zombies, 28 days style are not the issue the hordes climbing over each other just looks weird. they are treating them like water and it doesn't work. a wave of zombies running wile-e-coyote style into the side of a bus with such force to knock it over is funny as hell. It looks like they took a fluid sim and changed the water to zombies. doesn't work although i like the idea they are going for.

As for the book. I loved it but as a story taken from survivors scattered over the world just wouldn't be any fun. it is almost a history book except with zombies. I'm not surprised they went for a character who would be in the middle of it all. I really don't mind that.

Is it me or are these zombies closer to 28 days later or I am Legend Zompires. they seem more like the later climbing all over everything.

Old 11 November 2012   #73
Originally Posted by BigJay: The running zombies, 28 days style are not the issue the hordes climbing over each other just looks weird.....

It's hard to say until we see more. Some of the scenes (for instance the zombies rolling down the steps) could be showing where they all jumped on a victim like a pack of wolves on a lamb, all looking to get a bite at it. We will need to see more to be sure.

Old 11 November 2012   #74
Originally Posted by BigJay: Is it me or are these zombies closer to 28 days later or I am Legend Zompires. they seem more like the later climbing all over everything.

There is more evidence for I am Legend athletics.
In World War Z you also have Zombies, with kinda Gum-Gum-Fruit powers (light version) which Monkey D. Ruffy tasted as kid it seems..

Old 01 January 2013   #75
I just remembered this thread and wondered why they wait so long to get the film into the cinemas. I mean the announce it months ago and we have to wait until July to see it? Very annoying teasing us like that months in advance.

Thread Closed share thread