World War Z trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: ...gags like the crushed police officer...

That bothers me. I mean there is what looks like a mile-long traffic jam in all lanes behind him and we don't hear the truck crashing into them before it hits the officer. It's like the truck came out of nowhere and manages to kill the officer while miraculously missing everything behind him.

Aside from that niggle, I really look forward to this. The seemingly unstoppable mass hordes of zombies is a next level of Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later as other posters suggested.

No more teasing slow zombies, that's for sure.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by cojam: .....Maybe if they just add some Zombie cats then they might actually have something.

Not scary enough. Now zombie Bull Terriers or Pit Bulls, that would do it for me.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Dillster: Not scary enough. Now zombie Bull Terriers or Pit Bulls, that would do it for me.

"D'ya like dags?"

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr: The way the zombies piled up on that street chase, just like rats, sold it for me. Really, I want a mad crowd of people that chases other people. It's frightening.

Then may I recommend you read (and subsequently pray for a "non Hollywood" film adaptation of) Steven Erikson's 'Memories of Ice' and the Pannion Domin's army including the 'Tenescowri'. Some of the most frightening, brutal, as well as intelligent and high caliber Fantasy I've ever read.

11 November 2012
I hope they colourgrade the "Zombie-Crowd" shots better in the final film.

Right now, they look very CG to me...

But this is a film I will watch... on DVD or Bluray when it comes out...

11 November 2012
It didn't look as bad as I had feared, though alot of that was my low expectations. I wish they would have followed the premise a little more from the book. A 'robert altman' type of story bring different people, with seemingly unconnected plots together at the end, would have been cool, and would have honored the spirit of the book.

11 November 2012
I've been forwarding and showing the trailer to lots of my friends, and to my Dad and all the old folks too. Most of them know nothing about CG and not all of them even like zombie movies. Everyone I showed the clip to was bowled over by the crowd scenes. I really think this movie will be a big hit with the average cinema goer, and I look forward to some longer trailers where we might see close ups of some zombies.

DePaint mentions better colour for the zombies. While its early to judge, I'm not sure it's needed, as hordes of zombies falling over one another are very likely to be all dirty and muddy, even if they are wearing their Sunday best.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Dillster: DePaint mentions better colour for the zombies...

He's talking about overall colour grading, not texture colour. Colour grading is a huge part of making CG elements look like they're part of a shot.

11 November 2012
I think the people who are sick of zombies are those who never had a life-long love affair with all things zombies/post-apocalyptic in the first place. Those who do (me included), will always be interested in this genre. (My love affair started with Night of the Living Dead when I was ten years-old, watching that movie on TV late one night when vacationing in Philippines and staying at a family friend's home in 1983.)

What's enticing about this genre isn't the zombies alone--it's the fact that there's always a post-apocalyptic scenario attached, and that is just as important to the genre, where we get to think about how people will behave when civilization as we know it ends. The zombie genre is also unique in that the monsters are totally not self-aware and 100% unrelenting. Monsters in horror or sci-fi almost always have some kind of self-preservation mechanism, or emotional response to its surroundings--they don't just keep coming at you no matter what. Zombies are like this all-consuming terror that never stops.

The trailer seemed really exciting, and I think it will be a quality film overall. The CG zombie horde looked too over-the-top for me though and took me out of the trailer. I can only hope everything else about the film will be top-notch.

I don't mind Brad Pitt--he's really good in certain roles. I do wonder what would have happened if Leonardo DiCaprio's production company had won the bidding war on the rights to the book instead of Brad. Part of me wishes he had won that bidding war, since I can see him fitting into the world of WWZ better.

11 November 2012
what's not to love with running zombies!... though can't ever work out how most zombies are more or less fully limbed humans with just a chunk taken out of them or sometimes just a few scratches. I don't think I've seen a zombie scene where the zombie is satisfied after one bite.. errmmm anyway looking forward to the film

11 November 2012
I like the post-apocalyptic genre but find zombies boring. As monsters go they are pretty simplistic. Richard Matheson's depiction of vampires in I Am Legend were more scary to me since they retained speech and were malevolent in some ways--even sadistic.
Zombies are just re-animated dead-sometimes they are even sympathetic.

11 November 2012
CG-wise, it's not very impressive. I imagine apocalyptic shots are really difficult to pull off, but a lot of what we see is just so over the top, even if it looked real it's just unbelievable.

Movie-wise, this looks like it will suck. The book was fantastic and this movie appears to be everything the book was not. The book was a compilation of stories before, during and after the zombie apocalypse. But they changed it to be just another typical end-of-the world movie with running, agile zombies. Running zombies are stupid, but zombies that create tsunamis and giant towers is even more stupid. This looks like it's going to be as absurd as that Bollywood Terminator movie.

I'm one of those WWZ fanboys that's really disappointed. The movie looks terrible but I truly hope it proves me wrong.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by PiotrekM: Will see it because I love zombie movies, but the cgi...is it previz? I see MPC attached to this project hmm maybe all the budget went to Pitts pocket.

While MPC are doing the actual shots, a lot of the Zombie work (if not most) was designed and concepted by Framestore's art department.

Last edited by DutchDimension : 11 November 2012 at 03:23 PM.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Lunatique: I think the people who are sick of zombies are those who never had a life-long love affair with all things zombies/post-apocalyptic in the first place.

No that's not true, not one bit. Some of us just require that it's a GOOD film too.

This does not look like it will be, based on the what the trailer shows. Shame how this genre often gets the source material messed up from RE to ...

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Lunatique: I don't mind Brad Pitt--he's really good in certain roles. I do wonder what would have happened if Leonardo DiCaprio's production company had won the bidding war on the rights to the book instead of Brad. Part of me wishes he had won that bidding war, since I can see him fitting into the world of WWZ better.

Personally I think Brad Pitt is better for this. He looks leaner and fitter for a start, and is probably more suited for rough and tough roles. If this was a thinking mans zombie film, I might prefer Leonardo for the role.

Thread Closed share thread