World War Z trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Michael5188: You guys really need to read the book, cause that's one of the biggest things I loved about it. It finally showed how slow zombies could be terrifying, and how they could actually take over.

This is a very good point. I really need to go back and read the book again. When this movie does release however, I plan to view it as an entirely separate entity. I think it will be exciting to watch. I'm a huge fan of the 28 movies, and I think it will be refreshing to see running zombies again.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by hypercube: Doesn't really do good service to either property because the book fans won't give the movie a fair break because it is so crazily different, and the book doesn't get an actual movie made of it.

That's so they can reboot the franchise 3 years from now.

11 November 2012
Will see it because I love zombie movies, but the cgi...is it previz? I see MPC attached to this project hmm maybe all the budget went to Pitts pocket.

11 November 2012
The trailer gives Resident Evil a good name.

Seriously it looks like a mash of the RE (zombies over the building helicopter having them RE2?) , 28 days (just brilliant), I am Legend, (flare dark room, save my family).

Maybe if they just add some Zombie cats then they might actually have something.

11 November 2012
could always be that the zombie crowd sims aren't final versions, just trailer temps.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by tommy138: could always be that the zombie crowd sims aren't final versions, just trailer temps.

With the constantly increasing pressure to do more for less these are probably close to what we'll get in cinemas :-/

11 November 2012
It reads like a more serious re-write of the plot for the game Resident Evil 6 with the tone from Left 4 Dead 2.

The trailer starts very well.
The problem I have with the trailer is that other than the letter Z, you have no concept of what the "fast moving tidal wave of humanity" is.

There should have been like one or two bits to establish Pitt's expertise.... (isn't he supposed to be some kind of Archaeologist or Explorer?) and this weird fast-zombie disease thing.

The action "gags" such as flipping cars, military images, and gags like the crushed police officer, seem to owe more to Michael Bay films both in angles and style. Even the musical tones are similar. But I actually felt that was the good part of the trailer.

On zombies I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. The terror in zombies (for me) is that they are SLOW but UNSTOPPABLE and that there's always too many of them. When you have them moving at fast forward and there are so many of them as to fill up the street it looks like a National Convention or Woodstock on fast forward - it doesn't raise the "action stakes" or look scary at all.

Just my opinion.

11 November 2012
Seeing Brad Pitt joining the zombie bandwagon hurts my eyes.
Nevertheless we should be gratefull to zombies for the single fact that without them the rest of the vfx industry would loose their jobs too.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by th3ta: Looks stupid. Really surprised they got Brad Pitt.

they didn't get brad pitt.
brad pitt got the movie, it's his production.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by PiotrekM: Will see it because I love zombie movies, but the cgi...is it previz? I see MPC attached to this project hmm maybe all the budget went to Pitts pocket.

What exactly you don't like? Zombies crowds animation?
I don't think that it's easy to do hundreds of characters, that also interact with each other.

11 November 2012
Hmmmm zombie movies to me are more about the suspense.

This is total "actionee".

Not sure I like it, leaning towards no, but I'll wait for the movie to judge.

11 November 2012
The way the zombies piled up on that street chase, just like rats, sold it for me. Really, I want a mad crowd of people that chases other people. It's frightening.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: On zombies I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. The terror in zombies (for me) is that they are SLOW but UNSTOPPABLE and that there's always too many of them. When you have them moving at fast forward and there are so many of them as to fill up the street it looks like a National Convention or Woodstock on fast forward - it doesn't raise the "action stakes" or look scary at all.

Perhaps it was felt that the 'slow zombies' thing had been done too many times before? I know that 28 Days was a game changer for me and the Left4Dead games certainly introduced a new terrifying element into the zombie/infected genre. What I like about WWZ's zombies is that they have upped it to introduce a new dynamic. The never ending relentless horde becomes a monster in its self - the flocking like nature of the movement suggests a shared conscience. It would also be a good explanation as to why the military couldn't cope.

I'm quite excited about this.

11 November 2012
Looks interesting. Its just very annoying that Hollywood takes the title of something to cash in on the fan base and then pretty much disregards the fan base completely.

The General Raj-Singh square formation would be pretty useless against a berserker horde.

www.Nix3d.com

11 November 2012
I keep thinking "If it has Brad Pitt in it, surely it can't be too bad?"

On the other hand, many shots in the trailer - maybe they are not final comps/plates yet - look a wee bit too "CG" to be entirely convincing.

Yet another case of "gotta reserve judgement until it is finished" it seems to me...

Thread Closed share thread