World War Z trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #16
SOLD!

I feel unashamed in loving the whole zombie/infected genre. I consume much of it and look forward to new content. Currently loving Day Z, but would love to see a relentless mass horde featured in a game. Those WWZ scenes were awesome. And Brad aint a bad bloke either.

Old 11 November 2012   #17
Originally Posted by grrinc: Currently loving Day Z, but would love to see a relentless mass horde featured in a game.

Try playing the game "Prototype 2" then. You get to fight entire armies of zombies and mutants in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ5xW-Yo720

Its a good game too. Good for about 15 - 20 hours of hyperviolent fun.

Old 11 November 2012   #18
I thought the trailer looked intriguing, but there's a couple of giant red flags here: This was written for the screen by Damon Lindlehof (aka, the most over-rated screenwriter working today - and the one who wrote "Prometheus") and the project had many re-shoots, which are typically a sign of a problematic production.

Old 11 November 2012   #19
Yeah I've also had trouble with the crowd simulations and some other CGI shots which i don't think sell themselves very well..

Also, is it just me, or the music really reminds the one in the Transformers 3 trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHRf01Gjosk

(from 00:50)

Old 11 November 2012   #20
Another zombie movie

Old 11 November 2012   #21
Originally Posted by MasonDoran: if you forget the book entirely and look at it objectively (i have not read it) it looks awesome. Zombie Hordes never looked more frightening outside of a football/soccer when the hooligans are let loose.

That's exactly it. I never read the book and was only barely aware it existed. This trailer just made me sit up and pay attention. The zombie hordes almost overwhelms with a sense of helplessness, I mean how the heck would anyone survive that coming at them? I hope the film has plenty of that stuff and no long flat spots. Pity they teased us with the trailer and we have to wait forever until next year to see the film.

Old 11 November 2012   #22
Look I'm all for changes to a book to fit a movie, but there comes a point where the changes become so vast it's frustrating, cause clearly the name of the book is only there to make money.

Making the zombies go from slow, shambling into running, really destroys all of the concepts of the book.

Could be good, trailer didn't really excite me, but could be. Just no reason it needs the title World War Z.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 11 November 2012   #23
I'm not familiar with the WWZ GNs, so all I want is a good movie. Ever since 28 Days Later, I've thought fast zombies are the only way to go. Slow ones just seem sort of ridiculous now. And the rat-like quality of these ones is pretty intense.

But the story looks tired ("I WILL make it back to my family!") and the trailer editing is very poor. He runs for the helicopter...will he MAKE it?!! Next shot: sitting in helicopter.

Old 11 November 2012   #24
Hmm, looks a bit too ridiculous for my taste

Old 11 November 2012   #25
Originally Posted by Artbot: .... the trailer editing is very poor. He runs for the helicopter...will he MAKE it?!! Next shot: sitting in helicopter.

I thought that too. They even had a scene with people ( zombies ) falling. I thought this was a suggestion that he didn't make it to the chopper. Perhaps this is how he finds himself having to survive alone in the zombie infested city? But there is after all. Yeah it was a odd.

Old 11 November 2012   #26
Looks stupid. Really surprised they got Brad Pitt.

Old 11 November 2012   #27
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr: I personally like it a lot, I enjoy fast zombies. Maybe that's why I liked Leatherface so much. A running villain is so much frightening.

Walking dead just makes me cringe when a character gets surprised eaten by a slow zombie that just spawned behind him.

Can't wait!

Originally Posted by Artbot: I'm not familiar with the WWZ GNs, so all I want is a good movie. Ever since 28 Days Later, I've thought fast zombies are the only way to go. Slow ones just seem sort of ridiculous now. And the rat-like quality of these ones is pretty intense.

You guys really need to read the book, cause that's one of the biggest things I loved about it. It finally showed how slow zombies could be terrifying, and how they could actually take over.

It's the endless nature of them. There's a battle in the book, one of man kind's big stands, and they are fighting and fighting, but the zombies just keep coming, slowly, endlessly, and they finally run out of ammo and get overrun. To me there's something more haunting about that, about fighting for days at a seemingly easy enemy, and slowly but steadily realizing that you might just lose. More haunting than a bunch of zombies just running and killing you.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 11 November 2012   #28
Originally Posted by Michael5188: To me there's something more haunting about that, about fighting for days at a seemingly easy enemy, and slowly but steadily realizing that you might just lose. More haunting than a bunch of zombies just running and killing you.

More haunting, perhaps, but I suppose this subtlety is not what the studio wanted from a Brad Pitt summer tent-pole movie.

Old 11 November 2012   #29
Originally Posted by Artbot: More haunting, perhaps, but I suppose this subtlety is not what the studio wanted from a Brad Pitt summer tent-pole movie.

Well fine, but this is what us book readers are complaining about. World War Z doesn't make for a good summer tent pole movie, so to take the book and then change the few things about it that actually make it, you know, World War Z, it's just kind of annoying. Clearly they just wanted the title and nothing else, and I don't like that.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 11 November 2012   #30
Yeah this is basically, "I, Robot" all over again.

Yes, there are elements and names and places that are the same, but the rest is completely off the deep end.

Doesn't really do good service to either property because the book fans won't give the movie a fair break because it is so crazily different, and the book doesn't get an actual movie made of it.

All I can say about the swarming zombies without getting into trouble is that if you think some of these shots are too ludicrous, you have not seen anything yet.

Thread Closed share thread