Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

CrunchBang Linux Rocks !

Hi Guys !

Sorry if this is kinda not directly CG related, but as i have just discover this distro, i must share my EPIC experience with CrunchBang Linux.

This distro is Debian Base with an OpenBox UI so basically
CrunchBang = Debian 6 + OpenBox 3

It is maintain by a British Folks with talent and taste ...

http://crunchbang.org/
http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.fr/2...806-review.html

It is by far the best distro i've ever try , it has a minimalistic approach, it is higly customizable , and most importantly it is extremely fast !

Well i must spread the word to the Linux CG artist ... TRY IT !!!

More over the forum is very active and the community very nice and helpful.

And after all as most of CG company are Linux base, its not 100% out of subject ...

Cheers

E

Last edited by SebKaine : 11-08-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
squidinc
3D invertebrate

portfolio
Mike Robinson
IT something or other..
Rhyl, United Kingdom

interesting find, cheers

Old 11-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
eddgarpv
Yacateteltetl

portfolio
Ed
Mexico

Thanks for the link.. I'm thinking of a new distro (using Lucid right now) and this one looks like a good option.

I'll take a look on the forum.. I'm curious to see if everything just works® (nvidia, wacom, maya).

Old 11-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
SebKaine
Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

Well Maya, Houdini, Nuke and 3Delight run smoothly on crunchbang 11. My PC is pretty recent and the only issue i have was the fact that having both Intel GPU + Nvidia GPU block the first startup. I only have to boot on Intel GPU install the driver then reboot on the Nvidia Card.

I wouldn't say that crunchbang is as easy as Ubuntu , but i find it far better than the New Ubuntu running on Unity ! ( My god why did they choose this UGLY applesque infamy as their main UI ... )

Old 11-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Houdini is the only major software I can think of that has a respectable track record on Debian, the rest are between iffy and downright impossible. Admittedly I haven't followed the IT side of things in Foundry's world in a long while, so maybe they do a decent job of it too now?
It looks slick, but I'm so lazy I have an SSD ready to move FC to bought months ago I couldn't find the motivation to work on, let alone venture back into debian world after years of absence

Edit: post above mine cropped up as I was typing this one. How easy or painful, and how solid, was it to get Maya running?

Free Maya Nodes

Old 11-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
SebKaine
Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

Well Maya is always a PITA to install on linux ... But the point is that Ubuntu and CrunchBang are exactly on the same base, so what apply to one apply to the other. So You can benefit from the help of Ubuntu and Debian Community. You have to install some library and to relink some new ones with older ones , but not a big deal.

Even if Maya is not certified on .deb distro i always find it rock stable on Ubuntu 10.04LTS and CrunchBang 11(for the moment ... ) .

i've read that weta was on ubuntu so i guess it mean that debian distro can be stable on big show. (i admit that most place where i work only use .rpm distro like suse or centOS ... )

Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

There's lots of user documentation on how to get Maya working on Ubuntu/Debian. Someone even wrote a nice script to automate the installation. I tired Ubuntu first, but I couldn't get past the libtif error.

Seems a lot of developers work on RedHat, and only support their wares on RH/Fedora.

I run Fedora with KDE, and don't have any complaints. Maya isn't 100% stable, but I don't do any professional work in it. It crashes sometimes after I click on an object, so I have to use a drag box to select things.

-AJ

Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
eddgarpv
Yacateteltetl

portfolio
Ed
Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebKaine
Well Maya is always a PITA to install on linux ... But the point is that Ubuntu and CrunchBang are exactly on the same base, so what apply to one apply to the other. So You can benefit from the help of Ubuntu and Debian Community. You have to install some library and to relink some new ones with older ones , but not a big deal.

Exactly^ A bit confusing the first time for a newbie in debian based distro (I was a fedora boy until it got too fast for me).

Nuke (and probably the rest of the foundry family) includes a self installer and it runs without problem.

And Unity doesn't look too bad for me.. I've never used it though so I'm not sure how it feels. Anything over KDE

Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
MDuffy
Trained Monkey

portfolio
Michael Duffy
Prog. Dept. Manager
McKinney, USA

The problem with the Unity Desktop is that it uses the graphics card to display the desktop elements, and this interferes with 3D programs (slows them down.)

I run XFCE Desktop on an Ubuntu distribution, and it works pretty well. I run an older version of Maya, and every time Ubuntu updates it screws up the opengl library links and forces mesa instead of nvidia. Takes a minute or two to fix after every major update, but at least I know now where to look.

Cheers,
Michael

Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
SebKaine
Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

Well guys i can't resist to this shameful habit of the screenshot posting Just to give you an idea

http://appartager.free.fr/misc/myDesk.png

So in terms of UI everybody has his own nirvana. I really find mine, with CrunchBang , exactly the UI i've dream forever ...
- NextStep Menu Navigation and simplicity like in window maker
- Nice transparency effects with low memory price
- simple task bar
- clean hardware monitoring
- keyboard shortcuts everywhere ...
- at boot ram is at 250MB

And as i write those line , i realise the miserable Geek I am ...

Cheers

E

Last edited by SebKaine : 11-09-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Walli
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Jan Walter Schliep
Wallis Eck
Heroldsberg, Germany

thanks for the link, next time I install a linux machine I will take a look at this distro.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
julsVFX
Scholar

portfolio
Julius I.
Double Negative
London, Germany

sounds cool, the only thing that restrains me a bit from trying it out is the fact that it's debian-based. Is there a similar rpm-based alternative? It's always a bit trouble-some to install stuff on debian systems and I'm guessing it's not as stable due to the fact that most softwares in our industry mainly only support red-hat style distros.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
eddgarpv
Yacateteltetl

portfolio
Ed
Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by julsVFX
I'm guessing it's not as stable due to the fact that most softwares in our industry mainly only support red-hat style distros.

not really unless you are using really old applications. The only rpm package I had to convert to deb besides Maya is mochaPro. The rest: realflow, houdini, jefecheck, nuke, pfmatchIT, 3delightPro are either uncompress and run or self installed using their own scripts and GUI.

I can't think of any other and once the rpm becomes a deb,it works the same.. stability is on the application side (realflow, anyone).

I understand how you feel thinking of a new application manager like apt/synaptic but trust me: deb rocks.

@SebKaine: Ha ha, looks light. Definitely trying it

Old 11-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
julsVFX
Scholar

portfolio
Julius I.
Double Negative
London, Germany

thanks for clarifying! I didn't use a debian based system for a few years already but I guess I will give this one a shot and install it next to centos 6 on my workstation

Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
leif3d
Solving 9999 things a day

portfolio
Leif Pedersen
San%2BFrancisco, United%2BStates

After going through many distros for years, I decided to forget about the actual OS design and focus on stability and compatibility. This is how I arrived at centOS. It's a perfect clone of RedHat, it's free and it's ugly, but man it's stable.

Crunchbang does look nice though. Too bad it's debian.

I wonder how everyone is going to feel about Linux now that Windows is going less pro and more tablet/ consumer.
Linux resurgence?

Thread Closed share thread