AMC Releases list of U.S. theaters showing Hobbit in HFR3D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
AMC Releases list of U.S. theaters showing Hobbit in HFR3D

A handful of locations:

http://www.amctheatres.com/events/t...e-rate-theatres

400 US and 500 international theaters will also be showing it in HFR/48FPS:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ors-sign-387289

Will you, won't you?

Old 11 November 2012   #2
I wont be the first to see it so i will see what others say. But chances are i will probably see it in 24. But i was all for 3d when Avatar came out because i heard a lot of good experiences so if the Hobbit gets the same response then i will see it in 48.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
I predict that many people will leave the theater at the end of the film, complaining that it "looked cheap", or "like behind-the-scenes video".

Unless they did some special processing on the film, 48FPS will make it look like a cheap video-film with expensive costumes; Like the good old "TV Soap Opera look" in other words.

Disclaimer: I don't know if they have done anything special to the film to make it still feel "Cinematic" at 48 FPS. Maybe they found a tech-trick to pull that off..

Old 11 November 2012   #4
On the highframerate talk at SIGGRAPH one of the concepts beign presented is that the framerate can be adjusted depending on the type of scene.
So if there is concern that an interior scene is looking too fake, the framerate can be brought down to make it more film like.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: On the highframerate talk at SIGGRAPH one of the concepts beign presented is that the framerate can be adjusted depending on the type of scene.
So if there is concern that an interior scene is looking too fake, the framerate can be brought down to make it more film like.

Ah, variable framerate! Good to know, Roberto.

So I guess that static shots will be traditional 24 FPS, and 48 FPS will kick in in shots with a lot of action/camera movement, or something like that...

Without this, I guarantee you that at least some of the scenes in the film will have a "cheap video" look in 48 FPS. That just comes with the territory when you go above 30 FPS..

Old 11 November 2012   #6
They should be expected to have the know-how to used the right frame rate for each scene or part of it. 48fps will be cool for showing arrows in slow motion, but I would hope they don't over use it.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Whoops double post. I was in 48fps typing mode for a minute.

Last edited by Dillster : 11 November 2012 at 04:42 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Sweet. The Palisades 21 here in NY is showing it. That's my theater. Not so shocked though. It's got about 30 theaters and sits right in a mall the size of a village. Should be an interesting experience watching it in 48fps. (Also noticed the theater 10 minutes from me is showing it too. Niiice.)

Old 11 November 2012   #9
whatever, I got me ssssome preciousss ticketssss.
Thanks for the heads up!

Old 11 November 2012   #10
This is just the AMC theaters, what about the other theaters?

Old 11 November 2012   #11
Originally Posted by gauranga108: This is just the AMC theaters, what about the other theaters?

These guys are putting together a more comprehensive list - they have more of them now:

http://www.48fpsmovies.com/48-fps-theater-list/

http://thefilmstage.com/news/listen...lm-in-48-fps/2/

Old 11 November 2012   #12
I'm just going to give my opinion here. If you are seeing it in 3D, then you MUST see it in 48fps. When I see 24fps now, it is so hard to work out whats going on sometimes.

SERIOUSLY, IT IS BETTER. sorry for caps.

Old 11 November 2012   #13
Ok, so I need to know from the experts. It would seem to me, that by filming in 48 frames per second, they will be removing a majority of the motion blur from the film. (minus super fast moving objects I suppose) I've also heard you will be able to watch it in 24p. I assume they do this by simply removing every other frame. But won't the 24p film still lack motion blur, a pretty common component to the 'look' of current 24p film? I have a hard time believing they can just add moblur back in post, and consider it a quality job.

Old 11 November 2012   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread