2012 Retrospective :: Community suggestion thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #31
yeah its a pretty poor turn out this year

Old 12 December 2012   #32
The Avengers
Far Cry 3
Disney/Lucasfilm
The Foundry/Luxology
Kickstarters (specifically relating to the impact on games)
Source Film Maker

oh and:
Fabric Engine/Creation Platform :P

Old 12 December 2012   #33
Number of studio's that closed despite their output more-or-less cementing the success of a film (Prometheus)

Release of Tears of Steel from the Blender foundation and the associated important improvements in the Blender 2.6 series that are slowly edging it towards production quality (Bmesh, Cycles, etc)

CoD BLOPS 2 beating Avatar to a billion $ by 2 days; a way point in gamings rise in importance as a medium

Speaking of gaming, the resurgence of PC gaming in terms of both sales and with games studios now taking the time to do "proper" ports (Borderlands 2, front and center)

The rise of crowd funded indie games (and shorts), in particular Shadowrun Returns raising $1.8 million in it's Kickstarter and Star Citizen raising over $7 million in it's combined crowd-sourcing, proving that meaningful amounts of funding can be raised - but for all the talk of democratizing games; it's seems notable that the poster child's of crowd-sourcing had either big names or big histories with them

With the success goes the failure, particularly that of Haunted, whose funding campaign succeeded but whose development has almost certainly ceased highlighting the potential issues with this model

Those are the main things that popped for me this year - can't say there was much in the way of movies of interest to me; beyond how truly, woefully, abysmally and insultingly bad Prometheus was!

Edit: One extra one (knew I was forgetting something!): 3D printers, cheap enough for home purchases. The technology is still very much in its infancy, but something exciting is brewing here.

Last edited by CorsairX : 12 December 2012 at 04:09 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #34
Pixar open source OpenSubdiv.
Watching the demo my mouth was open so long my teeth got cold
Boarderlands 2: Pew pew pew!
Unity4 Mecanim.
CryEngine 3 Free SDK Stable release 3.4 / April 13, 2012
Zbrush 4R4 release
Nano Retina has come up with the Bio-Retina.
Implant targeting chronic pain developed in Sydney by National ICT Australia (NICTA).

Old 12 December 2012   #35
+1 To the Fabric Engine/Creation platform.
And The Hobbit.

Old 12 December 2012   #36
Yep, it was a bad year but... well:

Wreck it Ralph
DD doom
Paperman
Lucasfilm- Disney
The Hobbit and the hyper-realistic HFR VFX which maybe is too much for the actual audience...
3d coat 4- painting in voxels
Life of Pi
maybe John Carter, I loved those VFX

Old 12 December 2012   #37
•ZBrush 4R4/4R5!!
•Nuke 7
•The Foundry & Luxology merger
•Naiad-->Autodesk acquisition
•DDD (Digital Domain Disaster)

…and finally wrapping (after 2+ years) on the most awesome film I’ve had the honour of working on. ‘Gravity’.

Old 12 December 2012   #38
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: •ZBrush 4R4/4R5!!
•Nuke 7
•The Foundry & Luxology merger
•Naiad-->Autodesk acquisition
•DDD (Digital Domain Disaster)

…and finally wrapping (after 2+ years) on the most awesome film I’ve had the honour of working on. ‘Gravity’.

I'm really eager to see Gravity, also saw an add at the movie theater that they'll have the Dolby Atmos audio system for that one too.

Old 12 December 2012   #39
Originally Posted by mosconariz: maybe John Carter, I loved those VFX

I second that

- Jesus

Old 12 December 2012   #40
Good to see John Carter getting some love here. I think for most of us that worked on it we felt that the standard was pretty high and there was some great work done in the end, but the huge failure at the box office (and the fact it wasn't a great film) probably means the vfx will get very little recognition.

For my money:

- Prometheus envionments will be copied for years to come
- Life of Pi tiger is astounding
- Avengers (Hulk particularly) was nicely done
- The rendering in Spiderman, some sequences made me totally believe there was no CG (especially the school environments)

The hobbit probably deserves a nod but i haven't seen it yet so cant really comment...

Thread Closed share thread