cyberpunk cityscapes ref. in films

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Quote: Thank you conbom, it's very interesting and I think you're right.
The only problem for me is that I don't have a traditional artistic background, and I don't have the skills to analyze and make concept designs. I assume this is related to architecture/design and traditionnal drawing, etc. Another problem is the lack of time to do this. I guess what's left for me is to copy and get inspiration of what's already done, lol...
Anyway, I will try to do something in this way. Thank you again for this good advice.

I honestly think if you're having fun and learning something you're doing the right thing. Design and drawing are not as connected as you might think, yes drawing is often used to communicate a design idea but it does go deeper than that. Its the thought behind it that counts and there are a multitude of ways to communicate this visually, a lot of the really high tier concept designers in film work in 3D actually, especially in recent years as the tools are quite direct and people are more accustomed to it

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by conbom: I honestly think if you're having fun and learning something you're doing the right thing. Design and drawing are not as connected as you might think, yes drawing is often used to communicate a design idea but it does go deeper than that. Its the thought behind it that counts and there are a multitude of ways to communicate this visually, a lot of the really high tier concept designers in film work in 3D actually, especially in recent years as the tools are quite direct and people are more accustomed to it

I'm happy to hear that, and it causes me to hope I'll succeed.
Thank you again conbom

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by HFnord: The one thing that always struck me about the cyberpunk city scape (but I must add this is largely an impression based on books, manga and anime) is it's utter sameness to current "big" cities. A little flashier (more invasive advertisement) in commercial areas, a little darker in the back alleys, but basically modern city life as it's already visible in areas of extreme urban density. The whole idea behind cyberpunk is/was a near-future setting and to achieve this you must try extrapolate a little, but most definitively not fall in the trap of overdoing it...

This. The advertising in Blade Runner may have also derived much of its impact from the very brands it featured. While Americans had plenty of familiarity with Las Vegas' neon, and seeing familiar brands such as Coca Cola advertising in Times Square, we were not yet used to seeing Japanese brands advertised so boldly. That had a significant impact on many viewers because Japanese electronics companies were just becoming household names in the US, and at that same time we were starting to question how long we might be the dominant industrial power after a miserable decade for the auto industry.

11 November 2012
If you're basically looking for concept art, make sure you check out roleplaying games, comics, and video games, too. E.g., Shadowrun or Cyberpunk RPGs, Judge Dredd comics, Deus Ex games, etc.

11 November 2012
To add to this list:

Gattaca

Back to the Future Part 2.

DOOM (the film was terrible, but the designs were great. Get the game DOOM III to see many of the same designs from the film up close. Some sections appear to be literal translations of areas from the game).

P.S.: Conbom is right. It's all about story. There's no one cyberpunk design works everytime. For example, no one here mentions Surrogates.. because that design didn't seem to support very well the story...

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 11 November 2012 at 04:20 AM.

11 November 2012
Appleseed and its sequel Appleseed Ex Mechana

Its anime, but the city is awesome.

Probably the movie remakes of Evangelion
1. You can (Not) Advance
2. You are (Not) Alone
3. To come
4. To come

11 November 2012
Here are a few concepts from Cloud Atlas you may find inspiring:

http://conceptartworld.com/?p=16964

11 November 2012
the 1990 Total Recall has some amazing examples of New Brutalist architecture.

Look it up, it's perfect for a Cyberpunk setting.

11 November 2012
very interesting references, some I didn't know about and some I forgot...
Thank you everybody for your help

11 November 2012
Johnny Mnemonic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78kc...feature=related

As someone else mentioned, I think Role Playing Game books have some good reference, but it's been so long I forget their names...

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by dwigfor: Johnny Mnemonic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78kc...feature=related

As someone else mentioned, I think Role Playing Game books have some good reference, but it's been so long I forget their names...

Gamma World.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Edgemaster: This one is a pretty cool movie..."Hardware" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099740/
Hardware is pretty damn influential. Tons of things in it inspired games like Fallout and other Post apocalyptic settings.

11 November 2012
Video of shot breakdowns from Cloud Atlas look awesomely cyberpunkish.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: Hardware is pretty damn influential. Tons of things in it inspired games like Fallout and other Post apocalyptic settings.

I saw it listed on Netflix, and passed it up. Will definitely check it out now though .

A nice article on Wikipedia about the subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk

Another one that just popped to mind is Dark City. Its a bit more noir-ish, but still a very cool film.

-AJ

Thread Closed share thread